Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Disappointing delivery & condition, returned my X--thoughts?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm curious how others' deliveries have been lately and what people think about mine. Has anyone else experienced something like this? Maybe I'm too picky? Or was I just unlucky?

I was pressured to sign paperwork and hand over my cheque before they would let me even go over to look at the vehicle. I asked at least twice and was told no (once by my DES and once by some guy that I think was the Delivery Manager). The (assumed) Delivery Manager was ingratiating, lingering on and off, and trying to butter me up periodically with comments like, "that's a real beauty you have over there!" with a huge grin and that sort of thing. (If it's such a beauty, why can't I go over and look at it?) The third time or so, I was more firm as they were asking for the cheque or first signature... only then did my DES reluctantly permit me to walk over and look at the car I was about to hand over a $170,000 cheque for. At this point I was already peeved and a bit rattled.

So for delivery, my vehicle was presented to me parked like this:

20181215_5121.jpg

20181215_5125.jpg

It wasn't moved btw... just a change of perspectives. I also assumed they had done a proper PDI and would be ethical about everything. I should have been more assertive and asked them to move it though.

The passenger side FWD had issues along with the roof panel immediately behind it imo (in the C-pillar area but on the roof). When I pointed out that something looked off with that area, my tiny DES squeezed in next to me, but I think she couldn't see what I was talking about (I'm 5'9 and was wearing high heeled boots, so different perspective) and she said, "oh I think that's just some excess rubber they didn't trim off correctly... we can get them to trim that for you..."

This is what my roof panel/FWD alignment looked like... the rubber seal was being dragged way below the part it's supposed to sit flush on top of and was already deteriorating/shredding along the edge (you can see that a bit in the first photo--it looked worse in person):

20181215_5147.jpg

20181215_5148.jpg

It's like the door was set too far forward and too low on the back side... although the seal at the front side of that same door sat where it should, so I was having trouble seeing how they were going to make it all fit correctly. If you would move it back, it would start opening up the seal at the front...

The other thing is, that narrow roof panel piece behind the FWD looked like it was winging up--way more than any other X's in the lot when I later compared them. This is how that same panel looked from behind (but it tilts up even more towards the front):

20181215_5161.jpg

In terms of fit/finish, that issue scared me the most... but they had someone from service look at it (more at the FWD/trim below the window though I think--which was my initial concern before I noticed the problems at the roof area) and he said it could be fixed--but it would take a while so the vehicle would need to go to a 3rd party body shop for repairs because they said they were too busy for it. It (along with the other problems I pointed out in the delivery showroom) was referred to later in an email to me from another DES as a "minor adjustment", granted that DES was not present during my delivery.

There were a couple other things I noticed and they noted for them to be repaired (hood misalignment on one side plus gaps on both sides, a dent above the driver's side door handle).

So fast forward... I told myself they'd fix the few things I found, I accepted the vehicle, was given a very brief orientation, and then they put it out in the lot for me. When I got to the lot, I opened the passenger side door and FWD for the first time to reassure myself, but saw this:

20181215_5166crop.jpg

I don't know if they just forgot about it and it was done temporarily, but they didn't attempt to smooth it out and you can see right through it in parts it's so thin.

And this:

20181215_5165.jpg

Yep, those are all scratches and abrasions on a brand new vehicle... I couldn't remove them... some deeper than others (appearing to go completely through the paint in places). I didn't see issues on the door where that would match up. I have little car experience and have no idea how easily these can be fixed, but I felt like they maybe concealed them purposely by parking the vehicle like they had during delivery... or if not, why were they so sloppy as to not be aware of them and/or not mention them to me given that they were concealed? Don't they do PDIs? And when it's this obvious, why not just fix it first before offloading it on me?

So when I got home, I couldn't get that FWD or the rear hatch to open fully about 5-10% or so of the time. I don't think anyone or any objects were too close any of the times this happened. Then they would magically go back to opening fully other times. The window on that FWD always sounded like it was moving very slowly and like the motor (or whatever) was struggling a lot to open and close it. The other FWD window went up and down quickly without effort or weird moaning.

There was a laundry list of other fit/finish issues that I later uncovered from longer, but less numerous, similar paint scratches visible when the driver's door is opened, to paint overspray drools running about 2" wide, a bit of drooping weatherstripping at a window, missing weatherstripping at another window leaving a hole so large I could stick my index finger in it (I have small fingers though), damaged weatherstripping near that hole (appeared to be damaged by a tool/equipment and was mangled and not doing its job), scratched headliner (~2-3"), most misaligned panels and trim stuck out at the front into oncoming wind a bit (imo, concerning for wear from airborne debris over time and maybe even for aerodynamics/range?), gaps that were large/odd and didn't match, etc. You get the point.

Someone else's phone was paired with my car already when I went to set up bluetooth. The mileage on it was really low though... it didn't indicate it was used before and it was sold as a new vehicle.

The steering column also seemed to vibrate oddly (not lane departure) twice during the same drive down a steep curving hill and I was not braking at the time. I wasn't sure if something was wrong with the vehicle or not, but I couldn't seem to replicate it and didn't notice it doing it again.
So, I gave up adding to the list and just asked to return the vehicle instead the next evening (there's a 3 day return policy here if you haven't had a demo/test drive) and it was returned the following afternoon (17th) after talking on the phone that morning with the Delivery Manager. I still hadn't heard anything regarding the refund (I was basically told to sit tight and the DM would update me when he knew something), so I emailed him today and he's now telling me he'd expect me to receive the refund mid-January. :eek: Markets were down yesterday, so I would have really liked to have my money back already. I told him that's unacceptable that my funds be held without interest paid for a month and that I expect to receive my refund next week at the latest. I told him to make sure it gets prioritized on Monday. I find this all to be absurd--so much so that it's quickly turning me off buying another X altogether. I shouldn't have to chase after them and escalate things to get my money back within a reasonable time frame. I can understand not having it ready that day that I return it, but this is ridiculous.

Has anyone had a situation with their FWD's (and maybe roof panel) like mine and had it fixed to their satisfaction? I think mine was worse than the average one with alignment issues, right?

Very sorry to hear about your delivery experience and the condition of the car. The growing pains and lack of customer service that Tesla is going through is widely reported. I continue to explain to neighbors, work colleges, family that are interested in Tesla is that they need to understand that this is a startup car manufacture that is going through explosive growth and to set your expectations low. If I was you and paid $170k (CA) for a car that was not in perfect condition and received horrible service, I would have probably just walked away. While I really love both our Tesla's, I would have no problem walking away as I expect to have good service when I'm paying that much for a depreciating asset.

Further, if I did not get my money back in an urgent matter, I would be very upset and would likely have trouble ever supporting Tesla going forward. I'm able to chalk up a lot of the issues to the growth and financing of Tesla, but they need to begin addressing scale. This whole excuse is not going to cut it and when the $35k M3 rolls out in the next few quarters... oh boy.

• Informative
Reactions: neroden
Was this a normal production order with an assigned VIN and so forth, or did you buy an inventory unit? It sure sounds like you were not the first person they attempted to deliver this car. It sounds like an expedited refund is in order.

FWIW, mine was near perfect. The only thing I asked to be done was a wheel alignment, because it drifted ever so slightly to the left. I paid for mine a couple of days ahead of delivery with a funds transfer (ACH in .US). But I was not asked to sign anything until I had whatever time I wanted to inspect the car... with plenty of room to walk around.

Mine was much less than perfect. I had them re-align the passenger FWD and hood as well as buff out some scratches before I would sign off on it. One scratch is deeper and may require paint. I was disappointed but whatever. I was looking for perfection which is an unrealistic expectation. I almost walked out and didn't take delivery but 24 hours later I am glad I did. The car is awesome.

• Informative
I got mine a month ago, it was not as bad as yours, however , misaligned doors and panel , window noise , chrome trim, and door handle protruding , they were minor but many of them, I took the car 2 times as I am still discovering all of these stuff, but functional wise, o issues at all, car perform as should be and meet expectations, I cam from 20 years driving Lexus, which fit and finish are more than perfect, you should I insist of inspecting the car before u hand the check, I did that and spent 2 hours, and wrote every thing on the contract to address , and took an appoint to bring the car back after I do more full inspection, which I am doing still

• Informative
Very sorry to hear about your delivery experience and the condition of the car. The growing pains and lack of customer service that Tesla is going through is widely reported. I continue to explain to neighbors, work colleges, family that are interested in Tesla is that they need to understand that this is a startup car manufacture that is going through explosive growth and to set your expectations low. If I was you and paid $170k (CA) for a car that was not in perfect condition and received horrible service, I would have probably just walked away. While I really love both our Tesla's, I would have no problem walking away as I expect to have good service when I'm paying that much for a depreciating asset.

Further, if I did not get my money back in an urgent matter, I would be very upset and would likely have trouble ever supporting Tesla going forward. I'm able to chalk up a lot of the issues to the growth and financing of Tesla, but they need to begin addressing scale. This whole excuse is not going to cut it and when the $35k M3 rolls out in the next few quarters... oh boy.

That pretty much sums up how I feel. I loved plenty about the car, but I don't know that I even want to place another order now that I feel like they're dragging their heels on the refund. I certainly don't feel like a valued customer at this point.

Was this a normal production order with an assigned VIN and so forth, or did you buy an inventory unit? It sure sounds like you were not the first person they attempted to deliver this car. It sounds like an expedited refund is in order.

FWIW, mine was near perfect. The only thing I asked to be done was a wheel alignment, because it drifted ever so slightly to the left. I paid for mine a couple of days ahead of delivery with a funds transfer (ACH in .US). But I was not asked to sign anything until I had whatever time I wanted to inspect the car... with plenty of room to walk around.

Thanks. It was a custom order vehicle with an assigned VIN, however I wouldn't call it normal in that there was about 1 week when the vehicle finally arrived locally that my pushy OA had convinced me to switch to a "new" inventory vehicle. I almost immediately regretted it though (before even seeing it) and asked him to switch me back to my original vehicle/VIN, which he did after ridiculing me for wanting to "pay more for almost exactly the same car". (Dealing with my pushy, condescending OA is a whole other story.) Anyway, it took maybe 1 week to go through all that, so there was 1 week where the vehicle wasn't assigned to me and I guess could have potentially been checked out by other people. I didn't check the mileage on the vehicle during delivery but when I got home it was still really low, so I doubt it was driven by anyone. The vehicle was also listed on the MVPA as "new".

Mine was much less than perfect. I had them re-align the passenger FWD and hood as well as buff out some scratches before I would sign off on it. One scratch is deeper and may require paint. I was disappointed but whatever. I was looking for perfection which is an unrealistic expectation. I almost walked out and didn't take delivery but 24 hours later I am glad I did. The car is awesome.

I wasn't looking for perfection, but it was still a letdown. Glad it sounds like you made the right choice for you though. Congratulations! :D

I got mine a month ago, it was not as bad as yours, however , misaligned doors and panel , window noise , chrome trim, and door handle protruding , they were minor but many of them, I took the car 2 times as I am still discovering all of these stuff, but functional wise, o issues at all, car perform as should be and meet expectations, I cam from 20 years driving Lexus, which fit and finish are more than perfect, you should I insist of inspecting the car before u hand the check, I did that and spent 2 hours, and wrote every thing on the contract to address , and took an appoint to bring the car back after I do more full inspection, which I am doing still

I had no idea they would (at least at some places) let you spend 2 hours to go over your vehicle. In the delivery appointment confirmation email I received, it indicated in bold type that they had scheduled 15 min. + 5 min. for the appointment and orientation respectively. I definitely took longer than that, but that also made me feel rushed.

I hope they fix all of your concerns well! When I asked who/how to report further concerns during my delivery, my DES told me I had 24 hours to report them and to email them to her with photos. It was just nonsense for me the whole way along. I was already aware that most people continue to add to their list of concerns for a long time (much longer than 24 hours) after taking delivery. Also my DES apparently noted my concerns incorrectly... the dent above the door handle was noted as a "paint bubble to be looked at". I felt like they were just minimizing everything and really didn't care. I understand that they're busy because they're pushing out so many Model 3 deliveries and have a lot to fix on them too, but none of this sits well.

The scratches u see are consistent with FWD alignment issues ..those could be easily fixed ..

That's what I thought--that it looked like it was due to FWD alignment--but where the door matched up with it, there was no damage on the FWD that I could see... no signs of friction/contact. It probably still had something to do with it though as that's the door that was sitting too low, below the adjacent roof panel. Good to know though, if I do manage to work myself up to placing an order again in the future. Thanks.

• Informative
Reactions: neroden and P85_DA
Lots of drama here, but it seems like Tesla is living up to their pledge to accept returns for 3 days.

Car should have not been delivered in that condition.

Hope you get your $ back quickly and they can make another attempt at getting you a car up to your standards.

Perhaps they can use your existing deposit to get you another X. They might even have another one in stock or coming off the line soon to get it to you quickly with some expediting.

A new car should look like a new car on delivery.

Lots of drama here, but it seems like Tesla is living up to their pledge to accept returns for 3 days.

Car should have not been delivered in that condition.

Hope you get your $ back quickly and they can make another attempt at getting you a car up to your standards.

Perhaps they can use your existing deposit to get you another X. They might even have another one in stock or coming off the line soon to get it to you quickly with some expediting.

A new car should look like a new car on delivery.

Thanks Paul. I hope so too!

• Informative
I purchased a P3D+ and an x 75d during the end of 3rd quarter. Returned the 3 due to some extreme paint issues (Tesla forgot/didn’t care that they didn’t paint all of the vehicle) so I had a blue car with cold primer showing through on nearly every body panel. Took Tesla 5 weeks from when I turned in the car until I received the refund. (The payment of the car was refunded as a cashiers check since that’s how I paid and the deposit was refunded to my card a week later).
Just be glad that you returned your x. I am at 10 ish weeks of ownership and found out my X was damaged and hastily repaired prior to delivery. So now I get to fight Tesla since I refuse to have a brand new car that has been repainted. I noticed a small dent in the rear quarter panel and a couple on the lower portion of the falcon wing door. No big deal but did have it noted within 24 hrs of delivery. But after a couple weeks notice the paint is starting to reflect light differently around dent in the quarter panel. Come to find out the care had been repainted over the dent and the clear clear is failing/ wasn’t applied thick enough over the repainted portion from being out in the sun and elements the base and metal coat of the repaint is weathering and changed color. Additionally this repaint is now chipping off above the tail light. Picture shows the change in reflection/ color that is most noticeable in low light conditions.
5DC46511-390C-479A-95DC-1E1024611216.jpeg Sorry for the rant but my point is be glad you returned it as who knows what else you would be noticing well after delivery!

@Arcadian, sorry to hear about your experience. Tesla does appear overwhelmed at the moment across the board. Surprising to see this level of issue with the X these days, after now years of getting production tuned. I know Tesla correct almost everything, though considering the initial delivery experience and your representatives I would imagine the trust was not high; the service folk generally are much better and driven by satisfaction surveys rather than monthly sales quotas.

The vibration you felt going down the hill may have been because the lane departure was turned on (it is on by default). If you get close to the painted lines when you turn, which is common, the steering wheel will shake to let you know. If you are not expecting it can be jarring (which is the idea).
This was originally comprehended:
The steering column also seemed to vibrate oddly (not lane departure) twice during the same drive down a steep curving hill and I was not braking at the time. I wasn't sure if something was wrong with the vehicle or not, but I couldn't seem to replicate it and didn't notice it doing it again.

The vibration you felt going down the hill may have been because the lane departure was turned on (it is on by default). If you get close to the painted lines when you turn, which is common, the steering wheel will shake to let you know. If you are not expecting it can be jarring (which is the idea).

I turned lane departure off within a week of ownership. It also felt to me that something was wrong with the front end.

I turned lane departure off within a week of ownership. It also felt to me that something was wrong with the front end.

That makes perfect sense. I definitely wouldn't want to be notified if I am departing my lane........... In 160k miles combined Tesla driving we can't say that we have ever not seen the system work as it should which means notifying us when veering out of our lane.

I have it on in all my cars, but find the Tesla implementation is overly aggressive in warning. If you even get close to another lane without having the turn signal on it goes off. On the flip side, it forces one to focus on drive right in the center of the lane, which is a good thing.

You have more patience than me.
I would have examined it before I did anything further. The more I read about these bizarre customer service stories the more I wonder how long this company will remain.
I will examine my car before I take delivery of it. If it does not meet my expectations they can get me another.

I'm really sorry to hear of your challenges! We picked up a new MX100D on Sep. 30, 2018, the last day of Q3, and it was an absolute zoo at the Brandon Delivery Center near Tampa, FL. Whereby they normally delivered 10-14 cars a day from that center, they delivered 56 cars on Sep. 30th, hence the crazy atmosphere. While our purchasing process was very unorthodox in the center of a large waiting room with dozens of other people standing around, we had plenty of time to inspect our vehicle and had the services of a Tesla Volunteer Owner who answered all of our questions. We have not had any manufacturing-related issues with our MX up to this point, with the exception of our front windows starting to squeak. We've ordered some Mequiar's Vinyl & Rubber Cleaner/Conditioner and hope that it will eliminate the squeaking. Good luck with getting your refund and I hope that you are able to overcome this situation and purchase another Tesla that will exceed your expectations!

I was pressured to sign paperwork and hand over my cheque before they would let me even go over to look at the vehicle. I asked at least twice and was told no (once by my DES and once by some guy that I think was the Delivery Manager).

Day would be over right at that moment. Walking out door. Getting in Uber/Lyft. Alarm bell going off inside my head. Can't look at it first? While its like 30 feet away. Am I child in a don't touch type of store? Then the crazy wall parking job would have made me feel they were trying to hide something.

i had a lot of the same alignment issues. took a bunch of SC visits to get right, but now it's much much better. this rear applique piece behind the FWD still bugs me. they replaced it and it looked the same afterwards. i think the way the frame is built it's just not level with the FWD glass and/or the rear hatch glass so you get this applique protruding on one side similar to what you have shown here:

20181215_5161-jpg.363093

Thanks Bowtoy for the estimate on the ETA for the refund. I would hate to be fighting Tesla on anything after the fact, which is why I am relieved that I did return my car. I hope it works out favourably for you.

I received my full refund as of yesterday. First the deposit amount ($2,500 CAD) was refunded on December 28, 2018 to my credit card that I had used to place my order. Then Tesla sent a cheque by FedEx courier from Freemont, CA that was from Tesla Motors Canada ULC with a Utah address (I think Draper, UT). It was dated January 2, 2019 and the FedEx documents indicate the shipment was created on January 8, 2019, picked up on the 9th and then it arrived the 10th to me in the Toronto, Canada area. The amount of the cheque was for the full amount I paid, in CAD, at delivery (or the total paid for the vehicle, minus the deposit amount). So I received a full refund--including all of the fees and taxes... I didn't lose a penny.

I didn't receive any updates regarding the cheque being issued/couriered or the deposit being refunded to my account. I'm just glad it happened sooner than later and wanted to share it here so that others that wind up on the same boat in the future have an idea of what to expect.