Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Disappointing how electric car owners are being bashed lately in the news…

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have seen some increasing FUD about EV's lately. I swear that as EV's become more practical the FUD level increases from some people.

Gas price hikes fueling electric vehicle conspiracy theories

Some social media users suggest that soaring fuel prices in the U.S. aren’t the result of Russia's invasion of Ukraine, increased consumption or supply chain issues as daily life resumes after two years of stagnation brought on by the coronavirus pandemic.

Instead, the flurry of Facebook and Twitter posts offer, without evidence, that a nefarious scheme is underway: President Joe Biden’s administration is intentionally driving up the price of gas to get more American drivers behind the wheel of an electric car.

Saw Stephen Colbert last night bragging about his Tesla and not needing Russian oil. No one was bashing. Sort of the other way around.

Oh. You must be listening to Fox News, or Trump News, or OAN.
To be fair, some of the loudest criticisms against Tesla over the years have come from left-oriented politicians, state governments, etc.

To be fair, some of the loudest criticisms against Tesla over the years have come from left-oriented politicians, state governments, etc.
Criticisms of Musk’s tweets or his money aren’t criticisms of Tesla. Not mentioning Tesla as often as they could (Biden) is not a criticism of Tesla.
I haven’t heard serious criticisms of the company. Any charges of racism in the workforce, lack of unionization, right wrong or indifferent, come with the turf for ALL large companies.
The left can really only applaud the company that has driven EV acceptance to levels that otherwise might have take years and years longer.

Last edited:
I have seen some increasing FUD about EV's lately. I swear that as EV's become more practical the FUD level increases from some people.

Gas price hikes fueling electric vehicle conspiracy theories

Some social media users suggest that soaring fuel prices in the U.S. aren’t the result of Russia's invasion of Ukraine, increased consumption or supply chain issues as daily life resumes after two years of stagnation brought on by the coronavirus pandemic.

Instead, the flurry of Facebook and Twitter posts offer, without evidence, that a nefarious scheme is underway: President Joe Biden’s administration is intentionally driving up the price of gas to get more American drivers behind the wheel of an electric car.

Nefarious or not, there is no question that higher gas and oil prices around the world make renewables and EV's more attractive. This is just common sense. And discouraging US oil and gas production leads to higher costs. This too, is common sense. (If the US was producing 1-2 million more barrels per day, as we were pre-pandemic, the President would not have to go hat-in-hand to OPEC...)

But back to the OP: I haven't seen any EV bashing. Any cites you can post?

Criticisms of Musk’s tweets or his money aren’t criticisms of Tesla. Not mentioning Tesla as often as they could (Biden) is not a criticism of Tesla.
I haven’t heard serious criticisms of the company. Any charges of racism in the workforce, lack of unionization, right wrong or indifferent, come with the turf for ALL large companies.
The left can really only applaud the company that has driven ECV acceptance to levels that otherwise might have take years and years longer.

Correct. Tesla gets ignored by the current Admin bcos its non-union. Musk gets personally attacked by the likes of Elizabeth Warren bcos he's a billionaire (and billionaires are bad by definition). But both the WH and Warren love his EV revolution.

Nefarious or not, there is no question that higher gas and oil prices around the world make renewables and EV's more attractive. This is just common sense. And discouraging US oil and gas production leads to higher costs. This too, is common sense. (If the US was producing 1-2 million more barrels per day, as we were pre-pandemic, the President would not have to go hat-in-hand to OPEC...)

EVs certainly aren't immune to large price increases and scarcity of resources, increase of electrical rates.
Haven't seen much in the way of EV bashing except for Musk caused drama

The left can really only applaud the company that has driven EV acceptance to levels that otherwise might have take years and years longer.
Warren, Markey, Blumenthal to just name 3 plus Biden’s continuously pimping for every mfg but Tesla.

Warren, Markey, Blumenthal to just name 3 plus Biden’s continuously pimping for every mfg but Tesla.
Let me say it again, since you missed it the first time. Criticisms of Musk/billionaires are not even faintly the same thing as criticisms of Tesla.
It’s simple.

Meanwhile, in Oklahoma, the legislature wants to ban Tesla.
Biden isn’t “criticizing” Tesla. He’s promoting unions. If you want to disagree with pro--union stuff, go to it. But he has never said word one negative about Tesla. Overstating stupid stuff about union GM isn’t Tesla-hating.

Here’s just one article re: Democratic Party attacks on Tesla:

As I’ll say it again, saying nothing about Tesla by Biden is essentially criticizing them.

Geez, tribalism sure reigns supreme be these days.

Only in a binary -- you are with us or against us -- world. But I believe in a more nuanced world: Biden's ignoring Tesla is not criticism, IMO; it is just that, ignoring. (I'd bet that he loves that Tesla is an American manufacturer with good paying jobs, but hates that its non-union, and since he ran on being the most pro-union president since FDR.......he ignores Tesla.)

Only in a binary -- you are with us or against us -- world. But I believe in a more nuanced world: Biden's ignoring Tesla is not criticism, IMO; it is just that, ignoring. (I'd bet that he loves that Tesla is an American manufacturer with good paying jobs, but hates that its non-union, and since he ran on being the most pro-union president since FDR.......he ignores Tesla.)
Dude lives in the early 1960s. Subconsciously he thinks GM and Ford and Chrysler are it. He is a car guy -- corvette, An OLD car guy. It clouds his thinking. But never heard him say anything negative about Tesla, even when Musk was dumping all over Biden’s pet bill.

See it all the time in the Wall Street Journal comments section for any article on Tesla or EV's. Thinking of Buying an EV as Gas Prices Surge? Just pursue through the comments section your will find plenty of FUD. The best one's are the comments that the batteries have to be replaced every 5-6 years. When I point out the batteries have a 8-year warranty with 70% capacity guarantee, the goalposts move.

I have lost track the number of times I have seen this picture pop-up lately with somebody claiming that this picture demonstrates that somehow Tesla and EV's are just a fraud.
Screenshot 2022-03-25 065600.jpg