Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Disappointing roll-out

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I really don't get why everyone is so disappointed. What were you expecting

It looks like the designer put a weekend into designing this model 3 hatchback. Well If you have some foward thinking and imagination you could knock the ball out of the park. On board power storage for camping and portable tool use, higher base for off-road use, power suspension, racking on top for more hauling options, trailer hitch for light duty stuff, larger range options, different interior and exterior layout, and Power lift trunks just off the top of my head. If you put real designers together you could come up with endless options. They have two years to make it happen. Sad. Not sure what’s going on behind the scenes at Tesla. Stock drop says it all. I own 3 Tesla’s and think they are great but this was a dud. No motivation to buy this car.

I agree with the title “disappointing roll-out. Maybe that’s my fault as I was really excited about this event, I set the bar too high. However... The Y is everything I wish the 3 would have been. I placed an order as soon as I was able too... mostly because I had sold myself on this car before the reveal.

I probably have 18-24 months to consider this purchase which gives me time to evaluate financial situation, economy, alternatives to the Y and the reality on if I really need another vehicle.

Still waiting on a 500 miles awd Tesla. Not that I need to drive 6 to 7 hours in one sitting but more so I can charge 250 miles of additional range in 15 minutes.
With the Model 3 Long Range (rear wheel drive), Tesla is now advertising 180 miles of range in 15 minutes on Supercharger V3. It might be more like 170 miles in 15 minutes with the all wheel drive version. That's pretty impressive! You can wait for a car that charges 250 miles in 15 minutes if you want, but the marginal utility probably won't be as big a deal as many might expect.

"Seems like they should just switch an assembly line of the Model 3 to the Model Y sooner than later. It’s basically just a hatchback version of the car."

This is exactly how I feel. .

you can add me to the list. I ordered a Model Y but it seems a bit ridiculous to have to wait nearly 2 years for it.

Also it's odd coming from Musk considering his usual push to get things done quickly.

Maybe if enough of us complain Tesla will modify their plans and make the early models in Freemont.

"Seems like they should just switch an assembly line of the Model 3 to the Model Y sooner than later. It’s basically just a hatchback version of the car."

you can add me to the list. I ordered a Model Y but it seems a bit ridiculous to have to wait nearly 2 years for it.

Also it's odd coming from Musk considering his usual push to get things done quickly.

I'm wondering if this is a veiled attempt to set realistic production goals that might actually be beaten as opposed to the unrealistic schedule they tried with the original 3.

Everyone complains that it takes 2 years to make the Y, but, surprise! Things are progressing better than we thought so first VOLUME deliveries actually happen in spring 2020 vs fall. Stock market erupts, shorts jump from buildings, company mic drop on the naysayers.

Or just like the 3 there's massive delays and nothing ships in volume until 2022. Could go either way, it's Tesla..

/edit. Maybe this time they want to be sure the new Y production line at GF1 is just absolutely DIALED in before they open the floodgates. A true exponential curve over a matter of weeks, not months like with the 3.

The Y should be built on the X assembly line, as the Y will take many sales from the X. There will be a lot less reason to buy an X.

Production and assembly have nothing to do with sales. The Model 3 and Y will use many of the same parts so if anything those two car should be built in the same factory and can possibly share some of each other's production/assemly line.

This was a pretty disappointing roll-out, for 2 primary reasons:
  • Model Y looks like a bloated model 3, with a bit more interior room, but not much; with road clearance that doesn't look materially different. Its shape will compromise both rear headroom and cargo space
  • Won't be available, per Tesla estimate, until late 2020, which likely means spring 2021 in reality in any meaningful numbers (optimistic). Given similarities to Model 3, that's a really long development period. Also it basically uses Model 3 interior/tech, which will be 4 years old by then, really time for a refresh
Honestly the Model Y doesn't look that good. Also why roll out a car when it's still 2 years away, when it's really nothing new? Back when Model 3 was unveiled, I was really excited. I didn't feel any excitement yesterday. The car is nothing new, looks unremarkable, mundane, no feeling of coolness, just another boring crossover, one of the uglier ones at that.

Agreed, the rollout looked slapped together, poorly planned, poorly lighted, with a small bland stage, and as always Elon's stumbling for words and his enthusiasm was off, but I often cut him a lot of slack... way too much weight on his shoulders.

But as far as the looks go, I fully disagree... I love it so much, I'm thinking of trading in one of my 3's! The blacked out trim and wheel liners are just great! Imagine a white w/ white, or a black w/white! The Y is going to be a sales wonder IMO, a sleeper at first then it will take off especially if it handles like a 3 or better and at speeds that will no doubt be killer for sure! Plus one look at it will tell you that the custom vendors will go berserk with this thing, guaranteed!

IMG_0686.PNG

IMG_0688.PNG

IMG_0690.PNG

Just go to Tesla.com. Click on Roadster. Deposit is a little higher but it fully satisfies your listed requirements.
Nope not enough space. Need it to be a commuter car as well as a family road trip car. Also too expensive just for the feature i mentioned. Heck if i am willing to pay that, i rather just buy an efficient hybrid and donate the rest of the money to grow some trees to offset my emission from the hybrid.

Nope not enough space. Need it to be a commuter car as well as a family road trip car. Also too expensive just for the feature i mentioned. Heck if i am willing to pay that, i rather just buy an efficient hybrid and donate the rest of the money to grow some trees to offset my emission from the hybrid.
Roadster 2020 seats 4 with luggage. How big is your family?

The Y should be built on the X assembly line, as the Y will take many sales from the X. There will be a lot less reason to buy an X.

I own an X. I was afraid/believed the Y would make me 2nd guess that decision. It does not. The Y is not even close to making it viable alternative to the X for me unfortunately. I was hoping it would be more like a Subaru Crosstrek but instead it’s more like the Impreza.

Reactions: fbitz777