Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Disappointing roll-out

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Good (Massive cargo room, hatch, 7 seat option, gorgeous almost 100% glass roof)
Cheap (Modest premium over the 3 for an arguably better car overall)
Fast (2020 better than late 2021 or early 2021. How long have Model 3 owners waited since the day 1 reveal?)

There is no making anyone happy FFS. Cold fusion thrusters, $30K price tag and summer delivery before anyone is impressed?

Looks are OK....they're in Tesla's design language. Cool. Whatever.

But no SAS? No officially-mentioned towing?

Come on.....this would be like Tim Cook (nee Apple) going on stage, talking about the previous 10 iPhones for 20 minutes, and in the last 3 minutes saying "hey...here's the 11...it like...makes phone calls or something. reserve yours now"

EDIT:

The REAL problem here is the lead time. If they were ready to fulfill orders in 3 weeks, they could announces EVERYTHING, because Osborning the 3 wouldn't be a huge concern. You'd make it back in Y sales. But they've developed an addiction to sitting on our deposit money for 12-18 months, and that is why last night was so underwhelming. They literally cannot afford to cannibalize the 3 right now. So they should have not revealed the Y until at least this fall, maybe even NEXT March.

Reactions: fbitz777
If only Elon would learn how to speak publicly. After so many years I thought I got used to it, but man, it's painful to watch.

Spending all this time on Tesla's history made me getting bored and then they show very little of the Model Y. I also would have loved to see a design that sets it apart from the other cars. It feels like a different sized Model 3 and X mixed.
My biggest disappointment is the interior. It just feels cold, sterile, uncomfortable, uninviting. Traditionally a minimalist interior is what we see in very low cost cars.

Looks are OK....they're in Tesla's design language. Cool. Whatever.

But no SAS? No officially-mentioned towing?

Come on.....this would be like Tim Cook (nee Apple) going on stage, talking about the previous 10 iPhones for 20 minutes, and in the last 3 minutes saying "hey...here's the 11...it like...makes phone calls or something. reserve yours now"

Good points but:

1 - Can't completely cannibalize the Model X.

2 - Is SAS crucial to the majority of people? I don't think it made any difference to me but I'm open to consider other peoples opinions and thoughts.

3 - I bet towing announcement is held off due to concerns of X cannibalization and also impact to range will not be pretty. How many iPace owners are towing? Not many even though its technically an option.

If only Elon would learn how to speak publicly. After so many years I thought I got used to it, but man, it's painful to watch.

Spending all this time on Tesla's history made me getting bored and then they show very little of the Model Y. I also would have loved to see a design that sets it apart from the other cars. It feels like a different sized Model 3 and X mixed.
My biggest disappointment is the interior. It just feels cold, sterile, uncomfortable, uninviting. Traditionally a minimalist interior is what we see in very low cost cars.
It does feel awkward sometimes, but I can be swayed either way. Apple always spend a bunch of time on BS before getting to the meat. Other car company presentations are very 'corporate' in their feel. Slick, for sure, but lacking soul.

Elon on the other hand basically comes over as an EV nerd, which I suspect works well for the Elon fans (of which I am one), but I can see some of my older relatives watching him and thinking that it's very unprofessional and scrappy. That said, I can't imagine any CMO succeeding for long at Tesla if they try to reign in Elon's style. Using Franz as a (slightly) more polished presenter is a good move to dilute the nerdiness a bit, but for some reason he was relegated to just being a driver last night.

Really? It's the exact same interior as the model 3. Personally that's my favorite thing about mine.

We are considering purchasing an X, but I don't want one until they refresh the interior to be more like the 3. The current one has too much going on.

Reactions: X Fan
Sz
Good points but:

1 - Can't completely cannibalize the Model X.

2 - Is SAS crucial to the majority of people? I don't think it made any difference to me but I'm open to consider other peoples opinions and thoughts.

3 - I bet towing announcement is held off due to concerns of X cannibalization and also impact to range will not be pretty. How many iPace owners are towing? Not many even though its technically an option.

I dont think most people are buying the X because it has tow capability. if anything, people only care it has a hitch because you cant use roof racks with it. Thats not a problem on the Y.

• Informative
Reactions: pilotSteve
Really? It's the exact same interior as the model 3. Personally that's my favorite thing about mine.

We are considering purchasing an X, but I don't want one until they refresh the interior to be more like the 3. The current one has too much going on.

Model Y is an almost 100 percent glass top, hatch trunk, fold flat middle row. It’s an upgrade to the 3 through and through.

Not sure about the complaining.

I totally agree with those who have said the timing of the roll-out was brought forward to collect deposits and raise cash in what is going to be a bad quarter. I also agree that the presentation was poorly staged and delivered at least in part on purpose in order to minimize Osborning and freezing the market for Model 3s. I think that for the same reason, the time to Model Y production estimate they gave was longer than what they really expect.

This was a pretty disappointing roll-out, for 2 primary reasons:
  • Model Y looks like a bloated model 3, with a bit more interior room, but not much; with road clearance that doesn't look materially different. Its shape will compromise both rear headroom and cargo space
  • Won't be available, per Tesla estimate, until late 2020, which likely means spring 2021 in reality in any meaningful numbers (optimistic). Given similarities to Model 3, that's a really long development period. Also it basically uses Model 3 interior/tech, which will be 4 years old by then, really time for a refresh
Honestly the Model Y doesn't look that good. Also why roll out a car when it's still 2 years away, when it's really nothing new? Back when Model 3 was unveiled, I was really excited. I didn't feel any excitement yesterday. The car is nothing new, looks unremarkable, mundane, no feeling of coolness, just another boring crossover, one of the uglier ones at that.

Can't argue with this. This is the 1st Tesla unveil I actually watched live. The Super Bowl was more entertaining. Look at this photo, it used to be rocks in a desert, now we have
a building there. (Ooohh ahh woohoo!*o_O from the crowd) o_O Did they pull all of this off their Wikipedia page? Just talk about the company and the future plans, you know,
the stuff everyone came to hear about. Keep it short. Bring out the Model Y, open the doors, kick the tires, stick the cameras inside and put it on the big screen. Open the frunk.

Am I crazy?

Everyone, presenting the Model Y!! Here are the prices and versions available! And if you would like to/////end broadcast :confused:

Reactions: pilotSteve
Can't argue with this. This is the 1st Tesla unveil I actually watched live. The Super Bowl was more entertaining. Look at this photo, it used to be rocks in a desert, now we have
a building there. (Ooohh ahh woohoo!*o_O from the crowd) o_O Did they pull all of this off their Wikipedia page? Just talk about the company and the future plans, you know,
the stuff everyone came to hear about. Keep it short. Bring out the Model Y, open the doors, kick the tires, stick the cameras inside and put it on the big screen. Open the frunk.

Am I crazy?

Everyone, presenting the Model Y!! Here are the prices and versions available! And if you would like to/////end broadcast :confused:
You're not crazy. This was the first big unveil I got my wife to watch with me. It was at our bedtime (mountain time zone) so I doubt I'll convince her to watch another one based on how horrible this whole thing was. We stared at a blank screen for like 15-20 to start things off which, contrary to popular belief, does NOT build suspense. It makes those waiting feel like their time isn't being valued and this theme continued into the entire event for that matter. My wife is typical of the person/customer they're trying to get on-board with the EV craze and it was a disastrous fail in that aspect. I'm fearful for the future of the company once the Tesla faithful have had their fill and they're only hope is to convert new customers because if this is the approach sell your TSLA stock now because they're doomed as a mainstream company.

Am I crazy?
No more than me. However, the presentation wasn't really about the Model Y. That was really the "one more thing". The presentation's main point was to show how far Tesla has come despite all the hurdles, FUD, and outright attacks from the media that get zero revenue from Tesla. The goal was to reassure stockholders that Tesla is here to stay.