Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Disappointing roll-out

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This was a pretty disappointing roll-out, for 2 primary reasons:
  • Model Y looks like a bloated model 3, with a bit more interior room, but not much; with road clearance that doesn't look materially different. Its shape will compromise both rear headroom and cargo space
  • Won't be available, per Tesla estimate, until late 2020, which likely means spring 2021 in reality in any meaningful numbers (optimistic). Given similarities to Model 3, that's a really long development period. Also it basically uses Model 3 interior/tech, which will be 4 years old by then, really time for a refresh
Honestly the Model Y doesn't look that good. Also why roll out a car when it's still 2 years away, when it's really nothing new? Back when Model 3 was unveiled, I was really excited. I didn't feel any excitement yesterday. The car is nothing new, looks unremarkable, mundane, no feeling of coolness, just another boring crossover, one of the uglier ones at that.

I like many others was expecting the chunky Model 3, but I was hoping that the surprise would be that BECAUSE it's so darn similar, the production was going to go much faster than everyone thought and these things would be ready really soon. They still may manage to overdeliver on the timeline...in fact I'd argue they should. What a bizarro world that would be.

Reactions: MXWing
Seems like they should just switch an assembly line of the Model 3 to the Model Y sooner than later. It’s basically just a hatchback version of the car.

Right? They just have to reproduce Model 3 lines with slight tweaks. Problem is Fremont is at capacity keeping up with Model 3 demand. If they were to sacrifice a 3 line at Fremont, they could start building these at a reasonable volume (not enough to satisfy initial demand but enough to start getting them on the streets) really, really soon.
Instead, they have to put vehicle lines into Giga 1, which in of itself will take some time since there are currently none.

Seems like they should just switch an assembly line of the Model 3 to the Model Y sooner than later. It’s basically just a hatchback version of the car.
This is exactly how I feel. It doesn’t seem like a new car at all. Just a hatchback version of the Model 3. Even though Elon already alluded to the car sharing 75% of Model 3’s parts, I honestly expected it to look a little more different. Or at least have a different interior design. I’m also disappointed they chose to go with ‘grilless’ look again. It was one of the biggest gripes about the Model 3. They should’ve added something to change up the front end.

I still believe the car will outsell the Model 3 though. But for current Model 3 owners like myself, I think it’s too similar to consider buying as a second car. I guess I’ll wait for the Byton SUV to come out if it ever does...

Reactions: David99
This is exactly how I feel. It doesn’t seem like a new car at all. Just a hatchback version of the Model 3. Even though Elon already alluded to the car sharing 75% of Model 3’s parts, I honestly expected it to look a little more different. Or at least have a different interior design. I’m also disappointed they chose to go with ‘grilless’ look again. It was one of the biggest gripes about the Model 3. They should’ve added something to change up the front end.

I still believe the car will outsell the Model 3 though. But for current Model 3 owners like myself, I think it’s too similar to consider buying as a second car. I guess I’ll wait for the Byton SUV to come out if it ever does...

Used X vs new Y will be an interesting cross-shop for those looking to add to, not replace their 3.

• Model Y looks like a bloated model 3, with a bit more interior room, but not much; with road clearance that doesn't look materially different. Its shape will compromise both rear headroom and cargo space
  • Won't be available, per Tesla estimate, until late 2020, which likely means spring 2021 in reality in any meaningful numbers (optimistic). Given similarities to Model 3, that's a really long development period. Also it basically uses Model 3 interior/tech, which will be 4 years old by then, really time for a refresh
Honestly the Model Y doesn't look that good. Also why roll out a car when it's still 2 years away, when it's really nothing new? Back when Model 3 was unveiled, I was really excited. I didn't feel any excitement yesterday. The car is nothing new, looks unremarkable, mundane, no feeling of coolness, just another boring crossover, one of the uglier ones at that.

You're not the one who feels the same brother
Every other Tesla Model unveil was very exciting, this one was very dull, nothing to see about it, nothing new.
Like you said, they presented old tehnology from a car unveiled 3 years ago for a car that is supposed to come out in 2 years from now...
Where is the Tesla inovation that Elon used to brag about so much?

Last edited:
If you're going for 75% of another models parts, a significant number of them are going to be in the interior, and any body part that can be reused is a big plus because stamping molds are a big cost item. The Y is supposed to be taller with also have a hatchback, so I don't see how a different look would be expected. The no-grill look is a Tesla brand recognition trademark, similar to Nelly in her nighty, and I wouldn't expect that to change. My only issue is that during the reveal the 3 and Y should have been next to each other to highlight the differences in size.

You're not the one who feels the same brother
Every other Tesla Model unveil was very exciting, this one was very dull, nothing to see about it, nothing new.
Like you said, they presented old tehnology from a car unveiled 3 years ago for a car that is supposed to come out in 2 years from now...
Where is the Tesla inovation that Elon used to brag about so much?

You're confusing exterior style with technology. Tesla is constantly improving the tech. Model Y cars will have the latest custom AI chip, arguably the biggest improvement in tech for Tesla cars in years.

If you're going for 75% of another models parts, a significant number of them are going to be in the interior, and any body part that can be reused is a big plus because stamping molds are a big cost item. The Y is supposed to be taller with also have a hatchback, so I don't see how a different look would be expected. The no-grill look is a Tesla brand recognition trademark, similar to Nelly in her nighty, and I wouldn't expect that to change. My only issue is that during the reveal the 3 and Y should have been next to each other to highlight the differences in size.
Okay so perhaps ‘grill’ is not the right word I’m looking for. The Model S and X both have that black part with the Tesla symbol that helps break up the plainess of the front end. I’m not saying they should have done the exact design for the Y...but a subtle little addition like that can completely change how a car looks. You’re saying that people shouldn’t have expected for the Y to look much different from the 3, and perhaps you’re right. But I can assure you many people and media outlets will undoubtedly point out how disappointedly similar the two are. I know it was wishful thinking but I think we wanted to be surprised somehow.

Playing the role of Captain Hindsight, I think Tesla would've been better served to reveal what is the Model Y as the Model 3 back in 2016 and scrap the small sedan altogether. Then Tesla would already have a CUV on the market, sales of the Y wouldn't cannibalize the 3, and Tesla could have unveiled the truck last night for 2020 availability. That'd put it in timely competition with Rivian and ahead of other companies yet to reveal their entries into the electric pick up segment.

But again, this is all in hindsight. No one knew in 2014-15 when the 3 was being planned that the 3 / Y combination would be as (opinion alert!) underwhelming as it is.

They need to cancel Model Y and move to the pickup truck/SUV ala Rivian.
Tesla seems likely to unveil a pickup truck this year as well. I had been hoping they would do so last night as "one more thing". Last night's actual presentation of the Model Y did seem rushed and incomplete, but I still think it will sell quite well.

My Chevy Bolt has most the features of the Y already!
Supercharging, all wheel drive, seating for seven, and Autopilot? 280 or 300 miles of range? Granted, at a higher price, but possibly not much more for the base Y.

And used Xs will be available before Y hits volumes.
Except for the Falcon Wing doors, I think we would prefer a used X over a new Y. But plenty of people prefer to buy new.

Reactions: hydro 481
I really don't get why everyone is so disappointed. What were you expecting? To me the Y seems to be exactly what Tesla told us it was going to be. A CUV version of the model 3. Where are all the people that had to have a hatchback on the model ? Well here it is.

I think Tesla will have no problem selling lots of these for the same reasons that CUV's are so popular right now, mainly being medium seat height (not too low or too high) and decent utility with the hatch back and folding seats. It's an electric vehicle that will hit a lot of the wants of the market that comes with the current and future Tesla benefits (i.e. cool tech, Autopilot, Superchargers, etc..)
I think it's kind of silly to claim that it will fit seven adults, but I guess the third row might be useful for kids on occasion. If you really need a seven seater go for the X.

Will it be for everyone?... of course not. If you don't like it, get something else.

What I wanted was a Tesla version of the Suburu Outback, including towing. But what I want and what makes sense for Tesla aren't necessarily the same.

A vehicle that caters to a different niche and reuses 75% of parts makes great sense. Lots of profit in that and profit funds innovation. I would not sell my 3 to buy a Y, but I probably would have bought a Y instead of my 3.

The 3 rows seats will appeal to many (but extra $3000!!). Sure, it's probably criminal to put an adult in them, but they'll be intended for kids 95+% of the time. Added cargo space a plus.

I say smart move (but no one pays me for my automotive opinion).

Reactions: Watts_Up and Zorg
This is the first Tesla vehicle release that didn't have something out of the box/different. We were all collectively hoping (expecting?) Tesla to bring something out of the box, and that just didn't happen.

Look around that's exactly how all those new SUV/CUV are like and why people want are buying them. A vehicle drives like a sedan, instead of a truck, but with higher sitting position and better room. You don't see people hauling manure or go off road with them.

For the look if you have in mind a sporty CUV the side profile imo looks amazingly good. It's in the similar design languange as Model X, BMW X6 or Merc GLE Coupe but, unlike them, it hit the perfect note on proportion and detail. Take a look at the sideview profile to see if you agree. Again it's not a boxy (which will have lousy aerodynamic anyway) truck like SUV if that's what you want. It's a modern sporty CUV. It will sell like hot cakes. Even with that nothing can satisfy everyone of course.

Tesla unveils Model Y electric SUV with 300 miles range and 7-seats

This is the first Tesla vehicle release that didn't have something out of the box/different. We were all collectively hoping (expecting?) Tesla to bring something out of the box, and that just didn't happen.

It will have FSD capability (when available) without needing hardware update. Meaning everything will be built in.

Last edited:
Reactions: jerry33 and EinSV