Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Disappointing service center policy (or non-policy) for Roadster owners...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have been rebuilding my salvage Roadster and the process has been enjoyable, rebuilding the front end was relatively easy and the vehicle has been reliable for the last few thousand miles after putting it back into service. I had it inspected by the state DMV who found it to meet the rules for NHTSA and road worthy. They allowed me to register it, license, etc. No big deal, right? Well, the state is apparently the easy ones to deal with, now I'm trying to deal with Tesla.

First off, their Scottsdale service department is terrible at returning phone calls so I had to go to the service center just to have a conversation about my situation. The service center manager has no idea what to do other than refuse service, as a default party-line (seems like they should be encouraged to help by default to me). They sent me to a 3rd party to get the vehicle inspected for $1,200 + $1,500 if they "have to dig deeper". I agreed and contacted he service center, they said they don't look at Roadsters, only Model S and sent me back to Tesla. Tesla looked at their paperwork and agreed that the inspection program is just for the Model S and that they have nothing in place for the Roadsters... So, they do nothing for me and so I try to just have a conversation about the situation and their explanations all seem to fall short of logical.

Let me add that I'm happy to sign off liability from Tesla and that this Tesla branded product is going to be driven on the streets legally with or without them allowing me the privilege of paying them to work on it. As Roadster owners we have NO 3rd party sources for support on our vehicles.

I'm trying to see if there are others with an opinion to share with this conversation, hopefully not a biased opinion based on being invested in the company but just open honesty as if this were any other company in the automotive world...

Please look at my Instagram post; Instagram

Gee, are they professional mechanics or not? I guarantee the local Ford dealer won't have a problem doing the work if I bring a salvaged Mustang in for some service.

No kidding, I have never had a service center trying so hard not to help a vehicle owner, especially disheartening when its Tesla, the company that is supposed to be different and somehow better because of that... The service manager couldn't give a straight answer as to why not help;

First he says there are strict regulations on what they can do since they are a manufacturer (in regards to working on the car) but then when discussing why they don't release the information necessary to 3rd parties for working on these, like they do for the Model S, he says that the regulations are not as strict on the Roadster (since its limited production) as the Model S so they don't have to release the information "by law"... So the regulations are either too strict or too soft depending on how the wind is blowing apparently. They pointed out that regulations are so difficult that over 100 had to be crash tested but then realized they were again only talking about the Model S, they just plain don't know the vehicle! (Roadster)

There are other threads about "difficulties in dealing with Tesla on salvage rebuilds..." in this forum...as we have seen, Tesla is not too keen on having other shops / DIYers repairing their cars in general...remember, much of the vehicle information is proprietary...

Rather than speaking with the "branch office", I'd think you should try to get some answers from "head office"...

I own no shares in Tesla.

Well, as a Roadster owner I am acutely aware that the number of original Tesla Roadsters in the world will only be going down with time, it's not a replaceable vehicle, I can't just buy a new one when it becomes salvaged and neither can any other Roadster owner. If it were a Model S, it's a whole different story, you salvage the title, get a check and go buy a new one...

Agree. Unless Tesla can show putting it back out on the road is unsafe they should support it. Of course the customer would pay for service as the car is no longer under warranty.

Of course I'd pay! I even said those exact words to the manager there, I said you know all of this hassle is just to prevent me from paying you money to service it... I don't understand the logic of deciding not to service it when there are no other options for the owner, and they aren't keeping the car off the road, I will continue driving it every day and their liability will continue to be pretty much the exact same regardless of whether they will allow me to pay them for service.

Seems like a rather ignorant policy to simply not take my money in exchange for working on the vehicle, and as a roadster owner our shop fees are higher so a Roadster in the bay makes more money than a Model S.

I had a service manager at another automotive dealership day today "ha, Tesla doesn't even service Teslas", in response to me simply asking if they could work on the car... Seems their reputation is not exactly peachy keen.

We actually bought a leaf today, since we have decided that we are no longer interested in pursuing a Model S or Model 3 in the future. So Tesla loses a little more profit from us, do they not realize that a Roadter owner is typically two things; 1. A HUGE advocate for Tesla products. And 2. Generally financially sound enough to afford being a Tesla customer in the long run... It just seems like a stupid decision to be so negligent...

Now I've owned 6 different model factory built electric vehicles (Jet Electrica, Soleq Evcort, ford transit connect EV, Leaf, Volt and Tesla) and 4 "DIY" electric vehicles. (A Corolla, Yaris, Prius, and Lotus) I feel like I could write some very compelling reviews on the industry and I intend to...

I will continue driving it every day and their liability will continue to be pretty much the exact same regardless of whether they will allow me to pay them for service.
Actually I don't think this point is true. By refusing to service it, they refuse to acknowledge/vouch for the safety of the vehicle. Thus if anything happens they have no liability and they can say it is because your own repairs on a salvage vehicle. That is the main reason why they require a full inspection for salvage Model S even if you are willing to sign a liability waiver.

It is unfortunate they don't have a program for the Roadster, but that doesn't mean the program is unnecessary as it applies to the Model S.

I wonder if, when the next state dealership fight comes around, a few Model S and Roadster owners can pull up to city hall in FAVOR of the dealer channel, just because of stuff like this.

It will generate huge press, and hopefully get Tesla to relax some of their heavy-handedness and monopoly on servicing.

I wonder if, when the next state dealership fight comes around, a few Model S and Roadster owners can pull up to city hall in FAVOR of the dealer channel, just because of stuff like this.

It will generate huge press, and hopefully get Tesla to relax some of their heavy-handedness and monopoly on servicing.

Doubtful that dealerships will support people being able to work on their own vehicles - since the hand that feeds them is currently fighting that. Your battle isn't just with Tesla.

Automakers are supporting provisions in copyright law that could prohibit home mechanics and car enthusiasts from repairing and modifying their own vehicles.

In comments filed with a federal agency that will determine whether tinkering with a car constitutes a copyright violation, OEMs and their main lobbying organization say cars have become too complex and dangerous for consumers and third parties to handle.

Allowing them to continue to fix their cars has become "legally problematic," according to a written statement from the Auto Alliance, the main lobbying arm of automakers.

Automakers to gearheads: Stop repairing cars

It wouldn't surprise me. Tesla seems to learn/do everything the hard way.

Doubtful that dealerships will support people being able to work on their own vehicles - since the hand that feeds them is currently fighting that. Your battle isn't just with Tesla.
Automakers to gearheads: Stop repairing cars
Actually, this is one place where dealerships are great. The auto makers (including Tesla) are all exactly the same and in agreement that nobody other than their own authorized people should work on the cars. All manufacturers are united in this goal.

The dealers on the other hand undermine that every day by happily selling parts to anyone who walks up to the parts counter. Dealerships are great for people who want the right to repair.

To be clear, I hate dealerships, and have had many horrible experiences with them, but right to repair is one place where the dealerships are WAY better than Tesla's model.

Actually, this is one place where dealerships are great. The auto makers (including Tesla) are all exactly the same and in agreement that nobody other than their own authorized people should work on the cars. All manufacturers are united in this goal.

The dealers on the other hand undermine that every day by happily selling parts to anyone who walks up to the parts counter. Dealerships are great for people who want the right to repair.

To be clear, I hate dealerships, and have had many horrible experiences with them, but right to repair is one place where the dealerships are WAY better than Tesla's model.

For now. If manufacturers get their way, dealerships will no longer be able to do that for newer cars. In any case, my point was that it is unlikely that the dealership lobby is going to highlight something that is against the interest of the machine that feeds them.

For now. If manufacturers get their way, dealerships will no longer be able to do that for newer cars. In any case, my point was that it is unlikely that the dealership lobby is going to highlight something that is against the interest of the machine that feeds them.

I wasn't thinking that the dealership lobby would help at all. I'm thinking that the press would be like white on rice on a set of owners protesting in Tesla's about Tesla's policies.

The protest doesn't need to be related to the dealer lobby, but it makes a great tie-in for the story - here are a set of owners that call loudly in favor of the dealer model, because they think this-or-that benefit from the dealer model is better.

The megaphone for that is so large, Tesla would be forced to respond. I don't actually want the dealer model though - I just want Tesla to change their policies.

It can backfire (e.g. we actually get the dealer model), but Tesla has a lot more to lose on that one than owners.

I wasn't thinking that the dealership lobby would help at all. I'm thinking that the press would be like white on rice on a set of owners protesting in Tesla's about Tesla's policies.

The protest doesn't need to be related to the dealer lobby, but it makes a great tie-in for the story - here are a set of owners that call loudly in favor of the dealer model, because they think this-or-that benefit from the dealer model is better.

The megaphone for that is so large, Tesla would be forced to respond. I don't actually want the dealer model though - I just want Tesla to change their policies.

It can backfire (e.g. we actually get the dealer model), but Tesla has a lot more to lose on that one than owners.

So basically you're suggesting that some Tesla owners imply that the dealership model would be better, even though you don't want that, because it would make 'a good story'? And you think it's a good idea to threaten Tesla with something that isn't true, because the inevitable bad press would be something Tesla would want to avoid?

That's like someone photoshopping compromising pics of you & telling you you have to do what they want, or they'll publish the pics. I don't see how this is a good plan.

And to be perfectly clear, I think repair and direct sell are two different issues. Using one to force what you want with the other makes me feel extremely uncomfortable. Like a 'you can't see your kid this weekend because you haven't paid support'. Two different things that should not be tied together. Right to parts and repair manuals, etc. should be fought on its merits. Not tied to another cause just to get your way. And if Tesla were to lose the dealership war because of something like this, then we aLL pay.

Unintended consequences and all that.

ElectricLove: what service does your Roadster need?

In your Instagram post you mentioned wanting a software update. What version do you currently have?

I have the 2nd most recent, I think 4.6.3? I need the latest, I believe that is 4.6.5; or maybe I have 4.6.5 and need 4.6.7; Basically I just want to be able to charge at 80A model S chargers using the adapter I bought from hcsharp...

I'd also love to have the annual service done by Tesla but obviously that isn't very complicated and so I could theoretically do it myself...

- - - Updated - - -

I certainly would be willing to do so! I am sick of them bullying some of their customers (myself) simply because they aren't sure what to do, if they were flexible it would avoid many issues. I am thinking some national avenues would be interested to know that one of the risks of buying a Tesla is that they give themselves the power to refuse to service your vehicle and they also won't necessarily allow your vehicle to be serviceable by anyone else; makes for a pretty scary purchase if you think of it that way...

I certainly would be willing to do so! I am sick of them bullying some of their customers (myself) simply because they aren't sure what to do, if they were flexible it would avoid many issues. I am thinking some national avenues would be interested to know that one of the risks of buying a Tesla is that they give themselves the power to refuse to service your vehicle and they also won't necessarily allow your vehicle to be serviceable by anyone else; makes for a pretty scary purchase if you think of it that way...

While I have some sympathy for your situation, I think you're fighting for a chance to become their customer. You have a salvage vehicle & your signature doesn't indicate you own any other Tesla products. In your specific case, how are they bullying their customer?