Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Disappointing Service Turnaround

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not sure if this is the right place to post this but...

After a rainstorm yesterday, I couldn't invoke TACC or AP by extension. Got a "Cruise not available." notification.

After calling tech support, the remote diagnostic was that the front radar was reporting an error and needs recalibrating. This was confirmed by my Mt. Kisco SC. Soonest they can "fit me in" and pick the car up is a week from today. And hopefully a day or two (hopefully before next weekend) it can be fixed. So I'll be driving a week without TACC or AP.

I love my car (S85D). But this seems pretty unreasonable to me. Sorta confirms the Consumer Report retraction, in spite of Elon's onslaught of positive tweets this past week.

Pretty disappointed.

Not sure how it confirms CR retraction. That was for low reliability, not the time it takes to get service. (BTW, Tesla service is rated the best in the business by CR). Palo Alto service center is 2 months out. I'd be thrilled to be able to get an appointment in a week.

It's not an issue that affects the immediate drivability of the car so it must be prioritized as such. I understand a week seems like a long time but it's really pretty standard for the industry. I hate saying "standard for the industry" because I know Tesla strives to be better but unfortunately until they are able to ramp up their service center availability (locations, staffing, etc...) these issues are bound to happen.

Electronics fail, with the failure rate being much higher during their initial break in period and I can't tell from your pos how long you've had your car. Frustrating? Absolutely. I'd be frustrated too but the car is drivable so that's a huge plus from my perspective.

Jeff

You must be really disappointed because you cross posted this same thread to 'driving dynamics'.

One place or the other would do.

Like I said, didn't know where to post. I haven't seen any service related dicussions before.

- - - Updated - - -

Not sure how it confirms CR retraction. That was for low reliability, not the time it takes to get service. (BTW, Tesla service is rated the best in the business by CR). Palo Alto service center is 2 months out. I'd be thrilled to be able to get an appointment in a week.

It is about reliability. The front radar calibration. Frustration compounded by slow turnaround. I had some wind noise issues a week after I took delivery, 3/13/15. That were addressed in a couple of days. Was happy with that. And I never have waited more than 2 days to get an appointment from my Audi SC in the 10 years I've owned that car. Don't get me wrong. I would never go back to an ICE vehicle. Am delighted with the MS performance, Supercharger network, etc. I still think a week is pushing it.

Reactions: Bebop
Took delivery 3/13/15. It's beyond break-in period. TACC is a feature I've used daily since day one. AP I can live without.
You can live (and drive the car) without TACC too. Take it from someone whose Model S predates TACC. Sure you want it fixed yesterday but to me it's no different that a pano roof creak. They'll get to it, but it's not the priority of a car that can't charge or drive, or people already who have appointments scheduled over the next week that they may have been waiting a week or two for.

After a rainstorm yesterday, I couldn't invoke TACC or AP by extension. Got a "Cruise not available." notification.

After calling tech support, the remote diagnostic was that the front radar was reporting an error and needs recalibrating. This was confirmed by my Mt. Kisco SC. Soonest they can "fit me in" and pick the car up is a week from today. And hopefully a day or two (hopefully before next weekend) it can be fixed. So I'll be driving a week without TACC or AP.

I love my car (S85D). But this seems pretty unreasonable to me. Sorta confirms the Consumer Report retraction, in spite of Elon's onslaught of positive tweets this past week.

Pretty disappointed.

Were you charging your car during the rainstorm? I'm interested to know if a surge somehow hit the front sensor(s).

Also did you request a loaner Model S until they can get yours fixed?

That's too long for repairs. Tesla wants to be a "mass market" vehicle manufacturer, telling your customers to wait for weeks to months for repairs is not appropriate at this point in the game. Typical United States manufacturers (GM,Ford,Dodge) you can drive your car in and have your car back in a day or so obviously depending on the repair and parts availability. There is no scheduling with true mass market manufacturers, it can be done but 85% of customers drive in when they have a problem. I want to see Tesla succeed but if M3 is truly going to be a high volume car, Service Centers need to expand immediately. Not only adding Service Centers but giving the tiny ones new locations to hand the volume of the customers, 2-5 lifts is not going to cut it.

Typical United States manufacturers (GM,Ford,Dodge) you can drive your car in and have your car back in a day or so obviously depending on the repair and parts availability. There is no scheduling with true mass market manufacturers, it can be done but 85% of customers drive in when they have a problem.

Not true for Jeep or BMW. At least in my experience. For any non-critical issue, it's easily a week or more. No business wants employees standing around idle, just in case someone shows up. That's the reason for appointments, to balance out workload.

Of course, more than once I've offered my cell#, saying that if anyone canceled or didn't show up, let me know and I'd be right over. That approach has worked out well for me a high percentage of the time.

FWIW I agree it's frustrating when any of our vehicles are not working to our expectations, and it takes more time than we think is reasonable to get it taken care of. I have high expectations for customer service, having spent my whole career needing to deliver it to my customers, and I expect the same especially with premium brand luxury brand vehicles I own.

That having been said, I try to first consider if a problem with my vehicle impacts my ability to first get to where I need to go or stranded me on the side of the road as has happened in the past with other luxury vehicles -- for me, that has the most importance and I would consider it a "drop everything to get me going" situation. Anything else can wait some period of time. I personally don't have an expectation any dealer is going to come to my place to pick up my drivable vehicle and deliver it back -- if I did, I likely wouldn't expect that to be as quickly as when I have to take it in myself.

My Tesla is certainly the most expensive vehicle I've ever owned, but it's still not a hand-built Bentley or some other sort of specialty car where maybe my expectation would be hand management of every situation or concern I had. I do come from 20+ years of Lexus ownership, and 2 years of both BMW and MBZ. Service with these other premium brands were wildly different... Lexus was always excellent, but took a few days to get into service, and always with a loaner. BMW was problematic and could take even 10 days or more to get in when my 335i was in a crippled "limp mode" state where I could not go over 55 and was more than 3 hrs away from home. They were also not the most expedient in returning my car once they had it. MBZ also consistently took more than a week to get a service appt, and like BMW, always took another 2+ days if parts needed to be ordered from "back east" -- at least I always had a loaner from them. None of my dealers offered to pick up my vehicles. For context, I live within a 45 min drive of 5 different Lexus dealers, and similar number of BMW and MBZ dealerships here in SoCal, so I'm not out in a remote location.

I agree perhaps that the wait for Tesla may be too long and they need to increase the capacity in your area. Have you emailed customer service with your dissatisfaction on timeliness of repairs? I've read mutiple articles about Tesla Execs being focused on this, as well as have seen at least one YouTube video of an Exec making those statements while reaseaching Tesla before ordering my MS a couple months ago. Posting your dissatisfaction here helps ones soul and gets a little social media interaction, but may not get as much help as if you escalate directly within Tesla itself. In any case, as Jeff was suggesting, take a deep breath, and good luck with your repairs. My best.

Last edited:

Pretty disappointed.

A week? wow try Norway its 2-6 months wait here, if they dont fix everything on the list/forget u have to wait another 2-6 month. consider 1 week really fast

I had my car in last week to fix a window that fights me every time I try to close it. Got it back, still having the same problem. Called them right back the next morning, and they schedule me for next week, so 2 weeks from when I called. Not thrilled, but I can eventually get it closed, or just not open it until then.

A week without TACC or AP? Talk about 1st world problems...