Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Disappointing Superchargers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

AKinDC

Apr 30, 2019
DC
As wonderful as the Supercharger network is, it can be really disappointing when you get slower than expected speeds.
On a trip this weekend, I used three different SCs that in the past I've gotten close to 150kws with...this time, I averaged around 50.
I was concerned that there was something wrong with my car, but I asked a few other folks that were there charging, and they had the same speeds.
Weren't crowded, no one sharing a connection.
All in NJ, incidentally.

As wonderful as the Supercharger network is, it can be really disappointing when you get slower than expected speeds.
On a trip this weekend, I used three different SCs that in the past I've gotten close to 150kws with...this time, I averaged around 50.
I was concerned that there was something wrong with my car, but I asked a few other folks that were there charging, and they had the same speeds.
Weren't crowded, no one sharing a connection.
All in NJ, incidentally.

State of charge on arrival as compared to prior events? Ambient temperature? Did you navigate to the Superchargers using the nav system, to get the ORBW? Had you been driving to them for a period of time before charging?

Very similar all around.
Battery preconditioned, around 30-50% charge going in.
How high does your battery percentage need to be before the SCs start throttling you?

You said you averaged around 50kW but not sure what your peak rate was. Anyway, if it was not over 70kW your state of charge does not really explain it. Lots of plots here (it says V3 but the cap is just different for V2, the taper is very similar):

V3 Supercharging Profiles for Model 3

I averaged about 96kW on my road trip. That was including a charge to 97% and a charge to 90%. If I exclude the charge events where I was deliberately range charging, I averaged 122kW. (Range charging events averaged 76kW.)

Last edited:
Lol. Seems unlikely for a car bought in mid-May.

I wasn’t kidding and it was not meant as a joke.

Go check out Bjorn’s YouTube channel. Tesla is doing the same thing to NEW model 3’s that they are doing to older Model S in order to skirt a potential safety hazard.

This includes capping your supercharge rates and lowering your range. Enjoy.

As reference for Model 3 Owners as YOU are now impacted too:

Model S: Battery & Charging

Just as a datapoint, with the latest software I have not experienced any such capping. 250kW (actually 251kW very briefly) seemed like no problem. Maybe conditions are detected with some batteries leading to such throttling. However, not enough information in this case to conclude such a thing definitively; there are far too many variables.

Screen Shot 2019-10-15 at 11.47.37 AM.png

I've owned the car for about 5 months, driven about 5000 miles, and have Supercharged maybe a dozen times total.
Is there a way to find if I'm being throttled, or just having bad luck?

Just try Supercharging again, but optimize the event; arrive with 10% SoC, with a fully warmed battery, using the navigation to get there, driving for at least an hour at freeway speeds before you arrive. And make sure to choose a 150kW Supercharger which is low occupancy, and a different one from the ones you had issues at. On my road trip I never saw (or heard) ORBW activate, but it was not that cold, and I was driving 80mph with 340Wh/mi consumption in the "chilly" morning hours. Ramped to maximum power in seconds.

• Helpful
Reactions: Silicon Desert
Just as a datapoint, with the latest software I have not experienced any such capping. 250kW (actually 251kW very briefly) seemed like no problem. Maybe conditions are detected with some batteries leading to such throttling. However, not enough information in this case to conclude such a thing definitively; there are far too many variables.

View attachment 466431

Check back in with us in a few months. It’s going to happen to you too.

People really need to get off the Tesla loyalty train.

I wasn’t kidding and it was not meant as a joke.

Go check out Bjorn’s YouTube channel. Tesla is doing the same thing to NEW model 3’s that they are doing to older Model S in order to skirt a potential safety hazard.

This includes capping your supercharge rates and lowering your range. Enjoy.

Bjorn Nyland's video showed that the Model 3 charging rates hadn't been capped. The power was the same as before at the same "real" SoC.

Check back in with us in a few months. It’s going to happen to you too.

People really need to get off the Tesla loyalty train.

Will do. Though I rarely Supercharge. Next opportunity will be November. I will be counting on 150kW. Going to be tough to get my average above 122kW without the 250kW charger, but I'm hoping to beat my overall 96kW average.

This is my Tesla loyalty train. I will always just call things as I see them, and as I have experienced; there is really nothing else I can do:

giphy.gif

Last edited:
State of charge on arrival as compared to prior events? Ambient temperature? Did you navigate to the Superchargers using the nav system, to get the ORBW? Had you been driving to them for a period of time before charging?

Go read the thread I linked to. They are doing it, they are being sued for it. They don’t have a legitimate defense.

Time for people to take their heads out of the sand.

Which thread? You linked to the Model S Battery and Charging forum, not a specific thread.