Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Disappointing Superchargers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m in the same boat here.

Model 3 Performance
Purchased end of June.
Los Angeles
4100 miles

As of recent the supercharging speeds are definitely slower.

I’m supercharging right now at a 150kw charger. I am the only car here.

Started at 18% and currently at 33% charging at 65 kW

I thought I was going crazy. Last week I literally drove to another super charger in the middle of a charge because the charge rates were making no sense relative to what they were in the past.

EDIT
Peak at 72 kW now at about 42% but After a couple minutes it goes down to 4 kW Then back up to 72 kW.

Definitely weird behavior.

At the end of the day they’re going to have to allow options for people to charge their car at certain speeds and educate on what they’re giving up.

Sitting here at a 150 kW charger maxed out at 72 with no cars here means there is definitely something up. Not to mention the 72 kW rate is only sustained for a couple minutes before going down then back up.

The whole idea is the preserve the battery which I fully support but wish there was some sort of info on what’s going on.

Last edited:
I just got back from a trip, and I did NOT have any reduction in Supercharging rates during this trip in my Model 3. My car had 2019.32.12.2 code during the trip. Please note that there can be many reasons why you might be seeing lower than expected charging rates at a given Supercharger. Assuming that they are due to code changes in a Model 3 is premature in my opinion, and as ItsNotAboutTheMoney stated "Bjorn Nyland's video showed that the Model 3 charging rates hadn't been capped. The power was the same as before at the same "real" SoC."

There are two issues at play relating to the batteries. Capped charging speeds and capped voltage (which also means capped power and range).

There is no evidence that the changes Tesla has made to the Model 3 software have changed Model 3 charging.
In fact, Nyland's video suggests that nothing changed with respect to Supercharging the Model 3.

If you want to state something as fact, you need facts to back it up.

It could be Supercharger related. Sometimes they have to temporarily reduce power to all connectors at a site. To be sure, you can call Tesla at 877.798.3752.

Also, if they had globally reduced maximum charging speeds for the Model 3 / X / S below 100 kW, I think there would be a lot more posts about it. Others here have seen no issue recently (within the past day).

False.

I’ve been to multiple 150 kW chargers and have had same experience at all.

I haven’t seen 150 kW speed since a few updates ago.

I also don’t see the “preconditioning battery” alert anymore either when I select a super charger.

I’m in the same boat here.

Model 3 Performance
Purchased end of June.
Los Angeles
4100 miles

As of recent the supercharging speeds are definitely slower.

I’m supercharging right now at a 150kw charger. I am the only car here.

Started at 18% and currently at 33% charging at 65 kW

I thought I was going crazy. Last week I literally drove to another super charger in the middle of a charge because the charge rates were making no sense relative to what they were in the past.

EDIT
Peak at 72 kW now at about 42% but After a couple minutes it goes down to 4 kW Then back up to 72 kW.

Definitely weird behavior.

At the end of the day they’re going to have to allow options for people to charge their car at certain speeds and educate on what they’re giving up.

Sitting here at a 150 kW charger maxed out at 72 with no cars here means there is definitely something up. Not to mention the 72 kW rate is only sustained for a couple minutes before going down then back up.

The whole idea is the preserve the battery which I fully support but wish there was some sort of info on what’s going on.

I have a Performance as well purchased in the same timeframe.
Supercharging barely worked at a crowded one on Monday. A model x was getting 50kw, then I plugged in to the same one witht he same number of cars and get 15kw. (battery under 20%)

Today, empty supercharger different location and maxed at about 60kw. I did start at about 60%, but at the same one I remember seeing higher rates with my LR RWD a few months ago.