Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Disappointing Tesla Roof Install

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Anselm

Dec 21, 2020
I recently had a solar roof installed but am a bit disappointed with how it turned out. The section of roof over my front porch needed their alternative roofing material because it’s close to a flat angle. I was ok with this because the angle is such that it is barely visible, plus I was told by a customer service rep (perhaps, overly enthusiastically) that it’s not that big of a deal because it looks ‘similar’ to the tiles. However, Tesla installed the alternate material a bit higher than the flat section, onto the pitch of the roof, so the alternate material is very visible. It looks like the roofers ran out of glass tiles, and just called it day! What’s really bad is that it’s installed on the front of my house! After the install was completed, I reached out to Tesla to address this, but they are saying this is final product. I guess they are ok with how it looks?

What is baffling to me is how they can spend so much time with custom work around vents to make sure they all look nice, but this is the best they could do with this section of roof. Just yesterday a Tesla rep who came by to pick up pallets of extra material, noticed the roof and said “It looks you’ve got some missing tiles there. Are the installers still finishing work?” After I told him no, he just stared at it confused for a moment, then shrugged and started selling me on the benefits of owning a Tesla car. Go figure...

Anyone have any suggestions on how to handle this, or what can be done to make this look better?

IMG-2376.jpg

Maybe putting in a different color metal roof there like green or red would look "more intentional" and therefore better. Neighbors of mine have a colored metal roof over their front porch that looks good to me.
Yeah that's definitely an idea. Or at least something that closely match what Tesla did. Another poster mentioned that others have had the same issue. I searched but couldn't find their posts, but I do wonder what others have done.