Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Disappointment with Tesla service HK

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm writing a post here to express my disappointment and frustration about my recent unpleasant experience with Tesla Service HK.

My car, which is a 2016 Model S, was towed to the Tesla service center as advised after warning messages "power reduced" and "low vehicle coolant" showed up in the instrument panel. After 3 weeks, I was given a quotation for replacement of both motors for a consideration of around HK$120K, for the reason that the car had been repaired by a third party body repair shop before the warnings were shown. The repair work was limited to front bonnet replacement and front bumper repaint, and all parts were sourced from Tesla HK. Tesla service HK informed me that the motors had suffered from overheating and I had to have them replaced in order to maintain the car's warranty. However, I was told that I could opt to take the car back and it would be operating as normal, given that I'd give up the warranty and that Tesla wouldn't repair my car in case of any motor failure in the future.

I negotiated with a representative of Tesla service HK about the incident, but Tesla service HK insisted on the replacement and its unreasonably high fee. This is an absolutely disappointing and unfair decision and Tesla deprives my rights to get the car repaired under warranty. I've been put into a difficult situation where I am heavily billed as my car got repaired with a bad procedure while the repair technician claimed otherwise. I strongly think that the professionalism of Tesla service HK is doubtful as they don't seem to be sure about the actual impact of the warning messages but charge me for replacement of motors upon such a premature investigation. Moreover, they're not able to give me prompt reply and service - a 3-week investigation period is totally unacceptable. With such a heavy repair fee and the company's below-par service, I have no choice but have to give up my car as well as the brand.

On one hand Tesla service HK is not able to provide solid evidence and a detailed report for the problematic repair as they claimed, on the other hand they're reluctant to actively follow up my case and ask me for unreasonably high fee to maintain my warranty. You'll be fine if you're lucky and don't have any problems with your car, or you've got to rely on their unprofessional and inefficient service and pray. Please think thrice before you decide on getting a Tesla.

It sounds like Tesla thinks the body repair shop caused the motor problem?

Did your car get into a collision which might have caused the motor problem?

Tesla does not cover collision or problems caused by non-Tesla shop.

If it's a collision, you should negotiate with your insurance for coverage.

Yes. Tesla repair bills can be very high if you are not covered.

I know here in the States that to maintain the warranty on your car you need to have all repairs done by an authorized body shop that's been trained to work on Tesla's (other high end cars I have heard have similar requirements with their warranties as to their shops). It's quite extensive training the body shop goes through to get certified, and they will check out anything that could be related (repaired or replaced) to the reason you brought the car in. This is all spelled out in the warranty you get at closing and maybe even be mentioned in the manual. It sounds to me like maybe your issue is with the third party body shop you went to not either knowing everything to check/replace or doing a poor job, but they aren't Tesla authorized shops so understandable. Teslas aren't inexpensive to maintain or repair and we knew that was part of the cost of acquisition. I'm sorry you had work done at a shop that voided your warranty despite using Tesla parts. The "power reduced" and "low vehicle coolant" alerts sound like something might have been leaking prior to going into Tesla HK for service.

BTW there was a thread I read not that long ago on here where someone slid on the ice into a curb and had visible bumper damage. He was shocked to take it into an authorized shop and see the list of items that had to be certified by Tesla that had been checked, repaired or replaced before he could get the car back. It was a very thorough going over in order to maintain the level of safety that Telsa will warranty after repair. I feel bad for you but understand Tesla's position on the warranty. Not sure why you went to a third party shop. Tough lesson on warranties especially on a high end car.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: Texas
I went to a third party body shop because the authorized one asked me to wait for months. I never received that kind of service from other brands seriously.
Tesla service claimed that there was no leakage and the car is now fine after filling the coolant, but I needed to have the motors replaced to keep the warranty. I don't understand why I have to replace them if they're working as usual but just because of the warning messages.
I doubt they would proceed with the replacement if I would pay the money; the motors are good (they claimed it) anyways.