Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Disaster Averted!!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I almost got in an accident tonight.

In the fast lane, I see traffic slowing down ahead. I think I have enough distance to check my right blind spot and move over to the right lane. As I turned my head to check the blind spot, traffic came to a complete stop. The dash started beeping and lit up while my head was still turned.

It happened so quickly. By the time I realized what happened and tried to slam on the brakes, the brake pedal was already sunk in and we were already almost stopped! We stopped so hard I actually thought we rear ended the car in front of us.

In any other car, this would’ve been a disaster and completely my fault!

My wife’s Camry beeps but doesn’t stop for me, that’s why I’m surprised this car did all that.

Sorry for rambling. I just wanted to share how I became a believer of this car’s tech tonight.

I’m now “all in” on Tesla!!

In the fast lane, I see traffic slowing down ahead. I think I have enough distance to check my right blind spot and move over to the right lane. As I turned my head to check the blind spot, traffic came to a complete stop. The dash started beeping and lit up while my head was still turned.

It happened so quickly. By the time I realized what happened and tried to slam on the brakes, the brake pedal was already sunk in and we were already almost stopped! We stopped so hard I actually thought we rear ended the car in front of us.

My wife’s Camry beeps but doesn’t stop for me, that’s why I’m surprised this car did all that.

Sorry for rambling. I just wanted to share how I became a believer of this car’s tech tonight.

How fast were you going when it stopped for you?

Reactions: NormVA
Nice! Were you on autopilot, cruise control or driving yourself?

Driving myself. That's why I was surprised the car still stopped with none of these systems on.

How fast were you going when it stopped for you?

Probably 60-70mph

Be thankful but also think about how you can be a more attentive and safe driver. You owe it to yourself, your passengers, and, especially, everyone else.

Yes, I am thankful. It still gives me chills thinking about what could've happened. It would've been my first at-fault accident in my 26 years of driving. In hindsight, it was too aggressive of a maneuver. Regardless, I'm glad me and my family came out of this unscathed and I can learn from this incident, like you said, to be a safer driver.

My brand new 2021 Model S would've been ruined. Just took delivery last week...smh...

Sorry for the meme type picture. It was the only one I had readily available from my IG...

Screenshot 2021-02-12 at 7.04.38 AM.jpg

• Funny
Reactions: DukeofURL
Yes, I am thankful. It still gives me chills thinking about what could've happened. It would've been my first at-fault accident in my 26 years of driving. In hindsight, it was too aggressive of a maneuver. Regardless, I'm glad me and my family came out of this unscathed and I can learn from this incident, like you said, to be a safer driver.

No one is perfect and everyone makes mistakes but I've always taken the approach to be thankful and focus on learning and improving. I am glad this worked out.

No one ever wants to test active safety features but owning a Tesla affords us some get out of jail free cards.

I had similar effect last year December, except I was able to brake myself (or so I think) with no warning beep by obstacle in front. Came to full stop from city speed app. 50km/h (35mph). My surprise was how quick the car came to standstill, I think it was the same effect if EAB had engaged. I fared also that I will be rear-ended but the car behind me was also able to stop. As I started to move these three or four cars behind me remained stopped and I presume that there was multiple rear-end cases. All my family remained quiet and still during the rest of that 20min. of drive... That warning beep have saved me before and after that event in several situations, really impressive technology.

This is exactly the kind of scenario where having a blind spot indicator in the mirror would help a lot.

It's also why I tend to glance at the nav occasionally to see if there is any red coming up. More often than not it shows red well before a slow down happens.

I hate being put in a spot where active safety of a car is what saves me. That's way too close for comfort as ADAS systems are a bit hit/miss. They also tend to have a lot of false positives. Both my Jeep, and my Tesla love freaking out about nothing.

Both have let me down recently.

With the Tesla it was when I was trying to pass someone on the freeway, but they decided to go even slower while I seeing if the person to my left was going to let off or pass as it was in the "yellow region". The FCW never sounded, but I got closer than I would have liked to the slow idiot in front of me. When I got home I looked at the footage, but couldn't see it from the footage, Everything looked fine so maybe it really wasn't that close.

With the Jeep I was coming to a stop to turn a right onto road, but it was one of those stops at a curve where vision to the right is block until the last second. But, it's open to the left for a bit so there is a natural tendency to check left with never glancing right until well past where the unpainted cross walk is. It was dark out, and I simply didn't see a person in all black (with headphones on) just entering into the cross walk. Luckily I saw them in the nick of time, and had enough time to brake. They did the whole "shocked, step back onto the cross walk thing" then I waved them across. I dunno if Tesla's AEB would have picked up on it or not. It was just bad driving on my part.

I'm one those average drivers where I only avoid accidents by beating myself up every time a near miss happens. But, I have noticed myself making more mistakes in recent years. I don't know if its a related to the lockdown, and the lack of activity or if its just an older/slower/dumber kind of thing.

Glad you're safe and would encourage you to scan your surrounds more often so you react faster. I got concerned about both my mom and wife wife getting into a situation like this so I installed a Mobileye device on their cars many years ago. It's not that they tailgate or drive excessively fast, but it's the instances when the vehicle in front of you might not have functioning brake lights or they come to an unusually quick drop in speed.

Be thankful but also think about how you can be a more attentive and safe driver. You owe it to yourself, your passengers, and, especially, everyone else.
Seriously? Just what he needs now. I guess he could have slammed on his brakes prior to checking his blind spot. Or perhaps stayed in the slow lane the entire trip with his flashers on. Comments like yours discourage the next guy from posting something that we might learn from.

I am convinced that if you always physically turn your head to check your blind spot in LA traffic then you will eventually rear-end a car that slammed on its brakes when your head was turned. And those that say to give more distance from the car in front of you haven't driven in such conditions because another car will change lanes to take that space. I adjust my mirrors so there isn't a blind spot but I have to lean over in the direction of the mirror to see the side of the car. This way I never have to actually turn my head away from traffic. And I have learned to trust the nav display information on my Model Y. If there isn't a red vehicle symbol then don't dilly dally, change lanes. For me, it's a lot more information than a yellow indicator on a side-view mirror.

Reactions: frankvb and RKBA
@Bull
I have been wondering if automatic braking will work when not on self driving/autopilot if you have the accelerator pressed.​

It definitely does, even with the foot heavily on the accelerator. Which is why I hate the emergency braking and frequently turn it off. It annoyingly re-activates on next session.
Haven't had a single situation where it helped, but had at least three where it almost caused an accident.

I was driving in the fast lane and all of a sudden the speed limit changed from 70 to 60 mile per hour, with posting on the temporary sign, almost like construction work. Anyway, The car immediately start slowing down, At a fast rate, almost coming to a complete stop causing the car behind me to almost ran to the back of me. Because there was no brake lights the guy behind me didn’t recognize how fast the car was slowing down which almost caused an accident. I thankfully change lanes in time time for him to not run out to the back of my car. Before warn the car will react in a certain manner that may not be safe.

I was on a road with no shoulder driving about 25 mph and I steered the car to the right to avoid a pothole. As my tire got on the white line, the car screeched at me and steered back between the lines. I wasn’t in danger of driving off the road but apparently the car thought I was.

• Helpful
Reactions: philw1776