Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Disaster Averted!!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am convinced that if you always physically turn your head to check your blind spot in LA traffic then you will eventually rear-end a car that slammed on its brakes when your head was turned. And those that say to give more distance from the car in front of you haven't driven in such conditions because another car will change lanes to take that space. I adjust my mirrors so there isn't a blind spot but I have to lean over in the direction of the mirror to see the side of the car. This way I never have to actually turn my head away from traffic. And I have learned to trust the nav display information on my Model Y. If there isn't a red vehicle symbol then don't dilly dally, change lanes. For me, it's a lot more information than a yellow indicator on a side-view mirror.

I've found I cannot rely on the red vehicle indicator. There is too much lag. What I consider too close does not show as red on the screen, especially if that car is moving quickly. Also the car is spotty at recognizing motorcycles. So if you only rely on the red car indicator you may seriously injure or kill a motorcyclist, of which there are a lot riding in between lanes here in LA. A quick head turn and plenty of room between you and car in front of you is the safest way to go.

When I picked up my M3, the friend who drove me to the Tesla Dealer's followed me home. I used regen braking all the way home (about 50 miles) and my friend commented that he never saw my brake lights come on. I know Tesla set the threshold pretty high to avoid a lot of false signals every time you took your foot off the accelerator, but I do think we should be able to adjust the sensitivity. I'd certainly rather produce a few false signals, than have someone plow into me because they didn't realize I was slowing. Is there any kind of work-around for this?

You're also lucky you weren't rear ended. I live down the hill from you and have been rear ended twice on the 405 in the last five years. Once because traffic slowed quickly and I was not quite attentive enough and stopped quickly (all manual in a Prius), but the car behind the car behind me wasn't and hit me. The car behind me which had been tailgating was paying attention though and went to the left hand shoulder. In fact I saw him along side me and was trying to figure out what I was seeing when we were hit. When we all have FSD or similar most of these accidents won't happen.

Glad it worked out for you.

I was on a road with no shoulder driving about 25 mph and I steered the car to the right to avoid a pothole. As my tire got on the white line, the car screeched at me and steered back between the lines. I wasn’t in danger of driving off the road but apparently the car thought I was.
In our case, we were driving down the city street, there was a cyclist coming up to our right, and he must have swerved a little bit, but nowhere near enough to risk a collision, and yet, the emergency brake came on.... it scared the heck out of us, as there was not real reason to do this, and we got lucky there wasn't another car behind us.

You're also lucky you weren't rear ended. I live down the hill from you and have been rear ended twice on the 405 in the last five years. Once because traffic slowed quickly and I was not quite attentive enough and stopped quickly (all manual in a Prius), but the car behind the car behind me wasn't and hit me. The car behind me which had been tailgating was paying attention though and went to the left hand shoulder. In fact I saw him along side me and was trying to figure out what I was seeing when we were hit. When we all have FSD or similar most of these accidents won't happen.

Glad it worked out for you.
I have found that the WAY you take your foot off of the accelerator often determines how quickly the brake lights will be activated. Particularly when going fast, taking your foot off of the “gas” pedal quickly, generally triggers the lights, not to mention a large amount of regenerative energy. Under the same speed scenario, removing your foot gently will not activate the lights until the car slows significantly. My MS is an April 2014 build. I’m not sure if the newer cars, with more driver assist features reacts similarly.

Reactions: croman
I have found that the WAY you take your foot off of the accelerator often determines how quickly the brake lights will be activated. Particularly when going fast, taking your foot off of the “gas” pedal quickly, generally triggers the lights, not to mention a large amount of regenerative energy. Under the same speed scenario, removing your foot gently will not activate the lights until the car slows significantly. My MS is an April 2014 build. I’m not sure if the newer cars, with more driver assist features reacts similarly.
My apologies. I intended to reply to SequiMike!

Seriously? Just what he needs now. I guess he could have slammed on his brakes prior to checking his blind spot. Or perhaps stayed in the slow lane the entire trip with his flashers on. Comments like yours discourage the next guy from posting something that we might learn from.

You misapprehend my post and comically interject your own specific bullshit suggestions. Mirror might be required for self reflection for some; others welcome introspection.

It's a formula based on rate of deceleration and overall speed as to whether regen brakes trigger car brake lights.

Because there was no brake lights the guy behind me didn’t recognize how fast the car was slowing down which almost caused an accident.

The cars brake lights come on when it slows down, whether from braking or from regen, at a certain rate of deceleration. Sometime on a secluded road or driveway, watch the display, it has a red shadow behind the car that gets brighter when you let the accelerator go and regen comes on. You can also see it if there's something reflective behind you, but it's pretty good about brake lights even without the brake pedal. Most likely the guy behind you wasn't paying enough attention, or following too closely. Maybe both

Be thankful but also think about how you can be a more attentive and safe driver. You owe it to yourself, your passengers, and, especially, everyone else.
Sure, I think he should be more "woke"; probably go to some sensitivity training and learn the words to "Up With People". I am pretty sure it scared him straight. And anyone who has been driving for anytime has had a near miss due to a momentary lapse but I don't think they need to go to a re-education camp.

Reactions: Stuck4ger
I almost got in an accident tonight.

In the fast lane, I see traffic slowing down ahead. I think I have enough distance to check my right blind spot and move over to the right lane. As I turned my head to check the blind spot, traffic came to a complete stop. The dash started beeping and lit up while my head was still turned.

It happened so quickly. By the time I realized what happened and tried to slam on the brakes, the brake pedal was already sunk in and we were already almost stopped! We stopped so hard I actually thought we rear ended the car in front of us.

In any other car, this would’ve been a disaster and completely my fault!

My wife’s Camry beeps but doesn’t stop for me, that’s why I’m surprised this car did all that.

Sorry for rambling. I just wanted to share how I became a believer of this car’s tech tonight.

I’m now “all in” on Tesla!!
You should not be surprised...it’s supposed to. Mine did recently.

My brand new 2021 Model S would've been ruined. Just took delivery last week...smh...

Sorry for the meme type picture. It was the only one I had readily available from my IG...

View attachment 636105

The attention they get is what really surprised me ...especially kids/teenagers (they keep up with the tech ) had mine 9 months ..still in heaven

Attachments

• IMG_20210128_150518.jpg
    IMG_20210128_150518.jpg
    731.5 KB · Views: 62
Sure, I think he should be more "woke"; probably go to some sensitivity training and learn the words to "Up With People". I am pretty sure it scared him straight. And anyone who has been driving for anytime has had a near miss due to a momentary lapse but I don't think they need to go to a re-education camp.

Sure, fascist. Keep blabbering. My post is a "reeducation camp"? Someone needs their meds.