Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Disc brake significant grooves - performance only?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, I’ve read multiple issues online but I think I have SIGNIFICANT grooves on my discs.
I popped into Leeds SC yesterday just to ask. They didn’t assess the car, but the lovely lady said “do you have a performance with red brake callipers”. Apparently it’s a currently rising issue, and they’re currently preparing a case study with brembo.
Advised to book a service and upload pictures then await to hear something.
I’ve attached the pictures. My car was delivered 28/03/2020, I’ve done 6,800 mile so definitely not something I’d expect to be normal in that time frame
Hi buddy

mine has the same problem. Its been back to leeds for a check over by the service team, service team “comment no impact on brakes just more cosmetic than anything.

ive tried the hard stops with regan off and this does help but you need to get the brakes red hot”.
The brakes are better but far from as expected.
The rear passenger side is getting worse so i’ve also been back and the service team are saying this is now a common issue!!!

As others have stated, you really just need to take simple steps for your brakes to keep the rotors healthy.
Brakes on cars with regen will need to be managed differently.

As an example; In cold weather, gas powered engines, need to wait until the idle drops, before accelerating away, or you shorten the engine life.
Most know this.
Most need to know how to manage regen driving to prolong brake life.
Once most know, these types of rotor images will be less frequent.

As others have stated, you really just need to take simple steps for your brakes to keep the rotors healthy.
Brakes on cars with regen will need to be managed differently.

As an example; In cold weather, gas powered engines, need to wait until the idle drops, before accelerating away, or you shorten the engine life.
Most know this.
Most need to know how to manage regen driving to prolong brake life.
Once most know, these types of rotor images will be less frequent.
So, these undisclosed simple step because cars with regen need to be managed differently. What are they? It seems that some of the disc wear patterns show uneven braking surfaces that regular hard braking would not help with.

So, these undisclosed simple step because cars with regen need to be managed differently. What are they? It seems that some of the disc wear patterns show uneven braking surfaces that regular hard braking would not help with.
When you buy a gas powered car, they don’t disclose thing also. Starting a car in sub zero weather, and instantly driving away at fast speeds will hurt the engine. That’s not disclosed either.
Some things you have to educate yourself on. Not everything is spelled out.
I’ve had my car over 3 years, and my rotors are fine.
They have had grooves from time to time, that are gone now.
I manage them for longevity.
You’re on here asking the right questions, so I’m sure your brakes will be fine down the road.
I’ve found that when I’m going down a hill, from time to time, I’ll put it in neutral, and ride the brakes a bit.
Or just brake hard several times.
Simple things.
You have to do the same with a gas car, if you don’t drive much, or your brakes will also be grooved.

The real issue for me is this does not appear to happen on the S or X ...they are EVs too!!! Brembo have an issue here. The same brakes disks are on Land Rovers and are fine. It is cosmetic I agree but EVs discs need more corrosion resistance .. The end.

My 2019 M3P had a different brake problem. It has been sitting in the damp garage for a month due to working from home and using a bike for local shopping (trying to reduce lockdown weight...).
When I tried to reverse out the other day, it refused to move due to the brakes binding on. Computer controlled handbrake ;)
In the end I managed to shoot out of the garage (full accelerator pedal) after having pumped the brake pedal repeatedly, so they clicked off.

Bumping this old thread. Performance from 09/2021, 13000km. Observations:
- front left brake pad clip missing (?) on the right side there is a clip in there
IMG_4453.jpg

- the front left brake also squeaks loudly at times when braking from 5km/h or slower (usually only when car has not been driven for a while)
- weird black residue and groove in outer side of the rotor (brake pad material maybe(?))
IMG_4458.jpg

Could these symptoms be related to each other?
Thanks!

Bit of an old thread, but mines going in for an mot in a couple of weeks. Has anyone had an mot with scored discs? Mine look similar scored to the ones shown in this thread and is also a performance model.

Has it had a brake service? The car will pass an MOT with scruffy disc surfaces so long as there is no corrosion to the level of weakening the disc and all the functioning parts are moving freely. It goes without saying that they have to still have effective braking action.

The M3 disc issues are exacerbated when the pads stop moving freely in the calipers. The pad retaining pins can become partially seized. Despite the "no servicing" message that we all got initially there has subsequently been advice from Tesla that in countries where the roads are regularly salted in winter to have a brake service/lube ... the earlier advice was every couple of years but the manual now says: "Clean and lubricate brake calipers every year or 12,500 miles (20,000 km) if in an area where roads are salted during winter"

(This is not related to any specific Performance model brake issues but general advice for all Teslas so there may be additional factors.)

Last edited:
Do we actually know what's causing this uneven wear? Would replacing the pads alone resolve this if we so chose to resolve this ourselves? It's reaping havoc with my OCD. whilst the breaks still of course work, I just don't feel they are as effective as they should be. Some of the loaner model S cars I've been given have way more response breaks

I metioned this to Tesla Chelmsford a couple of weeks ago. They siad it was normal, and to give the brakes a workout. This is not normal, and it doesn't happen on many other non P versions of the model 3, or on the S/X. I think it's a pad issue.
I think you're right. I had to have all 4 sets (pads and rotors) replaced today to get through the MOT at 103k miles on my M3P. I asked for the old ones back - and got the LHS set, which is very, very telling. In effect the pads were only having a real effect on about 30% of the disc in one case (on the inside, so I never saw it). The rest of the disc was unworn but corroded, and the pad adjacent to it was worn away.

I think what's happened is the pads are not homogeneous (a manufacturing fault). So some parts of the pads are not wearing the disc down, but are just being ground away while the remainder does work. Hence the extreme grooving, despite annual brake servicing and regular heavy use of the middle pedal.

Fortunately my father in law (now retired) was one of Girling/Lucas' top brake designers. I think I'll get his opinion, and will report back.

By the way, the new brakes are MUCH more effective. It's funny how you don't notice something creeping up very slowly...

I think you're right. I had to have all 4 sets (pads and rotors) replaced today to get through the MOT at 103k miles on my M3P. I asked for the old ones back - and got the LHS set, which is very, very telling. In effect the pads were only having a real effect on about 30% of the disc in one case (on the inside, so I never saw it). The rest of the disc was unworn but corroded, and the pad adjacent to it was worn away.

I think what's happened is the pads are not homogeneous (a manufacturing fault). So some parts of the pads are not wearing the disc down, but are just being ground away while the remainder does work. Hence the extreme grooving, despite annual brake servicing and regular heavy use of the middle pedal.

Fortunately my father in law (now retired) was one of Girling/Lucas' top brake designers. I think I'll get his opinion, and will report back.

By the way, the new brakes are MUCH more effective. It's funny how you don't notice something creeping up very slowly...
Very interested for feedback

Hi guys, my 21 M3P (22kmiles) is booked in to the Glasgow centre tomorrow for 2 or 3 warranty claims, one of which is the brakes...again! they have previously fobbed me off. I feel its got worse. The brakes definitely are not preforming as well as they should be. There is also a metallic grinding noise as I drive so I can only assume its the brakes rubbing?!

My trouble now is, they want me to accept a cost estimate of £99 in case they dont deem this is warrantable work. I feel stuck between a rock and a hard place as if I pay it, what's to stop them just saying they are fine again (even although they clearly are not) then I am 100 quid out of pocket!

I have attached recent pics of my brakes below.

Any advice appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_20230714_134255.jpg
    IMG_20230714_134255.jpg
    322.7 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_20230714_134313.jpg
    IMG_20230714_134313.jpg
    280.1 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_20230714_134327.jpg
    IMG_20230714_134327.jpg
    276.8 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_20230714_134340.jpg
    IMG_20230714_134340.jpg
    356.1 KB · Views: 59
I just did the rotors and brakes on my Long range that has 50k miles on it. Attached is what the rotors looked like. The pads were still new but new discs so new pads... Our Y's both experience salt snow etc.. in the North Eastern US as well as stop and go traffic etc... I had been keeping an eye on them and figured it was time. They didn't look good or perform that well any more. Cost $427 in parts and a few hours of my time.

Attachments

• IMG_20230920_220955_01.jpg
    IMG_20230920_220955_01.jpg
    508.7 KB · Views: 51
  • PXL_20230916_200754239.jpg
    PXL_20230916_200754239.jpg
    844.5 KB · Views: 54