Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Discharge on demand?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A novice level question. I have PW2 installed for about 3 months. Using Time based control.

Is there is a way to discharge to the grid on demand? Would one possibility be to set the reserve to 0% temporarily and then readjust to higher level to stop the discharge?

A novice level question. I have PW2 installed for about 3 months. Using Time based control.

Is there is a way to discharge to the grid on demand? Would one possibility be to set the reserve to 0% temporarily and then readjust to higher level to stop the discharge?

You cannot discharge directly from the battery to the grid. You can have the battery take the load for your house so you can then discharge all your Solar generation to the grid.

There are comments in a few threads on OhmConnect. I do participate in OhmConnect using some scripting and IFTTT. My powerwalls turn to self-consumption mode when an OhmHour starts (by setting reserve to 10%) and return to standby when it's done (by setting reserve to 100%). I currently have to manually switch back to Time-based control (advanced) mode since that doesn't seem to be supported in the local API.

@cwied.... very interesting! Thanks, exact info I was looking for. How much are you getting "paid" by OhmConnect by doing this?

To confirm, so you get an alert, then go to self consumption, when alert done, then standby to 100%. When do you switch back to Time based? After it reaches 100%? Right now in time based, my reserve is 25%.

Since I have solar, the powerwalls don't recharge at night, so it doesn't really matter when I switch back to Time-based. My rate plan has off-peak until 10 am, partial peak until 1 pm, peak until 7 pm, and then partial until 9 pm on weekdays during the summer. I've set my OhmConnect availability to 7 pm-10 pm to avoid solar production hours. In order not to depress my baseline for OhmConnect, I've set the Powerwalls to start off-peak at 7 pm instead of 9 pm so they don't try to offset any usage after 7pm.

I've been getting about $4 per kWh reduction for the OhmHours this month. That includes a significant amount of bonuses from streaks and having a "buddy," though. My current streak is 42, giving a 210% bonus to base points.

Since I have solar, the powerwalls don't recharge at night, so it doesn't really matter when I switch back to Time-based. My rate plan has off-peak until 10 am, partial peak until 1 pm, peak until 7 pm, and then partial until 9 pm on weekdays during the summer. I've set my OhmConnect availability to 7 pm-10 pm to avoid solar production hours. In order not to depress my baseline for OhmConnect, I've set the Powerwalls to start off-peak at 7 pm instead of 9 pm so they don't try to offset any usage after 7pm.

I've been getting about $4 per kWh reduction for the OhmHours this month. That includes a significant amount of bonuses from streaks and having a "buddy," though. My current streak is 42, giving a 210% bonus to base points.

I have solar too. So with your setup, Powerwalls have no impact on Ohmconnect whatsoever since there is no way to discharge to grid, correct?

In sdge, peak is 4-9pm, off peak 12a-7am. So in this scenario, ohm hours will be 9pm-12am? Set powerwall off peak from 9pm to 7am?

$4kwhr is how much monthly?

The Powerwalls mean that my usage during the OhmHour is 0, so they do have a significant impact. They can't discharge to the grid, but they can offset the house load.

You get to choose when you accept OhmHours. OhmHours typically are in the evening after solar has stopped producing and before people have gone to bed. I understand that most OhmHours are between 6 pm and 10 pm. Since your peak overlaps the most common OhmHour times, you will probably have to sacrifice some peak hours in order to take advantage of OhmConnect. Based on the numbers I'm seeing, it seems like OhmConnect will pay more than the savings from using cheaper energy during the peak, especially since you can't charge your Powerwalls from off-peak energy on your schedule. You may want to do your own model to see if it works out that way for you too. You might be able to set your off-peak to begin at 8 pm and get enough OhmHours to come out ahead.

I get 4-5 OhmHours a month (more or less one a week), and have been saving roughly 2 kWh, so I'm getting $30-$40 a month.

One note for doing the financial model: OhmConnect's payments are considered taxable and will be reported to the IRS on a 1099-MISC if you go over $600 in a year.

You might also want to check OhmConnect Community to get more general information on OhmConnect. It seems like the San Diego area is a little different from the Bay Area, so people there might be able to give you more specific information about the program.

• Informative
Reactions: NuShrike