TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Discolored roof 8 inch streak when wet, not all over

Discussion in 'Model 3: Interior & Exterior' started by Tamah, Dec 30, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Tamah

Tamah Member

First I want to say I LOVE my Model 3 performance. I have had it for a little over a year and have 45K miles. So I drive it everywhere!!! We recently took it in (other issues were resolved) to have the roof looked at because it looks like something was spilled on it like a streak or the UV coating didn't make it to the entire roof. It looks like about an 8 inch streak or patch that only goes over the drivers side and not consistent at that.

It was like this from the beginning, but only when wet. The Tesla app did not let me upload photos so the friendly service guy didn't see what we are talking about. I have made another appointment just for this issue now. Is there a way to see if the UV coating is on the entire roof? Other than the color?

Does anyone else have this problem or similar problem? I also want to know if I am being a little too picky about this. Since the warranty is about to go out on this, I wanted to make sure it is not defective plus see if there is anything they could do to make it look better. I think I would be ok if it was on the entire roof. At least it wouldn't look defective.

IMG_1052.jpg IMG_1055.jpg IMG_1053.jpg IMG_1054.jpg

2. Kennymb5384

Kennymb5384 Member

Mine has never turned orange anywhere...

• Like x 1
  3. Ssmtsx

Ssmtsx Member

I think if you wax/rain x the entire roof it will look more uniform when it’s wet. It looks more orange where the water is beading.

• Like x 1
  4. eye.surgeon

eye.surgeon Active Member

Wax it.

• Like x 1
  5. Tamah

Tamah Member

Thanks, my hubby and I just went out and put a spot of a little rainx on it and it beaded up, so we will get some wax and try that soon. When I get home it is dark so maybe that is a New Years Day project. I'll post if that fixes it.

6. Tamah

Tamah Member

Thanks, going to try it.

7. M_D129

M_D129 Member

If you’re wondering about the orange tint, that is the UV coating, and is specifically on the glass above the first glass section above the driver. The earlier Model 3’s had the visible orange UV coating on the back glass as well. All Model 3’s will show this color, when wet.

It does appear there’s something that is causing the water to sit differently, on the glass in that spot, which is showing off the UV coating more.

I personally would try cleaning with alcohol, across the entire roof glass, and then a standard glass cleaner.

If you knew the orange existed throughout that particular section, then I apologize for stating that portion.

• Like x 1
  8. Olds442

Olds442 Member

that's actually not accurate. some model 3s have it on both glass panels, some only on the front panel, and some don't have it at all.
    and it's not just the first run of 50k or so, i've seen an 80k vin as well as my 122k vin that have it on both panels. my friend's 500k vin doesn't have it on either panel. my mid range only had it over the driver/passenger and that bothered me enough to seek out a DM that had it on both. i actually refused the first DM they brought be because it only had it on the front panel.

i do think that this example just has it on the front panel, and it needs to be cleaned up, waxed, etc.

• Like x 2
  9. Kennymb5384

Kennymb5384 Member

Mine doesn’t have it all.

• Like x 1
  10. 640k

640k Member

i've never seen the orange color on mine and i'm a bit jealous.

• Like x 3
  11. Olds442

Olds442 Member

it was a key design element, in my opinion.

and if you add any tint to the back window, it extends the "mars roof" all the way to the trunk.
    [​IMG]

• Like x 1
  12. DeanP

DeanP Member

Mine does it on the entire front panel. Don't mind at all: Go Gators!!!

• Like x 2
  13. jpfive

jpfive Supporting Member

I noticed this at a SC stop the day after I got my 2020, 622xxx. It was pouring rain at the time. The other Teslas, models 3 and x, showed streaks of this orange color. I thought it might be an aftermarket tint or UV treatment. They were not visible on my car.