Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Discolored roof 8 inch streak when wet, not all over

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
First I want to say I LOVE my Model 3 performance. I have had it for a little over a year and have 45K miles. So I drive it everywhere!!! We recently took it in (other issues were resolved) to have the roof looked at because it looks like something was spilled on it like a streak or the UV coating didn't make it to the entire roof. It looks like about an 8 inch streak or patch that only goes over the drivers side and not consistent at that.

It was like this from the beginning, but only when wet. The Tesla app did not let me upload photos so the friendly service guy didn't see what we are talking about. I have made another appointment just for this issue now. Is there a way to see if the UV coating is on the entire roof? Other than the color?

Does anyone else have this problem or similar problem? I also want to know if I am being a little too picky about this. Since the warranty is about to go out on this, I wanted to make sure it is not defective plus see if there is anything they could do to make it look better. I think I would be ok if it was on the entire roof. At least it wouldn't look defective.

IMG_1052.jpg
IMG_1055.jpg
IMG_1053.jpg
IMG_1054.jpg

I think if you wax/rain x the entire roof it will look more uniform when it’s wet. It looks more orange where the water is beading.

Thanks, my hubby and I just went out and put a spot of a little rainx on it and it beaded up, so we will get some wax and try that soon. When I get home it is dark so maybe that is a New Years Day project. I'll post if that fixes it.

First I want to say I LOVE my Model 3 performance. I have had it for a little over a year and have 45K miles. So I drive it everywhere!!! We recently took it in (other issues were resolved) to have the roof looked at because it looks like something was spilled on it like a streak or the UV coating didn't make it to the entire roof. It looks like about an 8 inch streak or patch that only goes over the drivers side and not consistent at that.

It was like this from the beginning, but only when wet. The Tesla app did not let me upload photos so the friendly service guy didn't see what we are talking about. I have made another appointment just for this issue now. Is there a way to see if the UV coating is on the entire roof? Other than the color?

Does anyone else have this problem or similar problem? I also want to know if I am being a little too picky about this. Since the warranty is about to go out on this, I wanted to make sure it is not defective plus see if there is anything they could do to make it look better. I think I would be ok if it was on the entire roof. At least it wouldn't look defective.

View attachment 494551View attachment 494554 View attachment 494552 View attachment 494553
If you’re wondering about the orange tint, that is the UV coating, and is specifically on the glass above the first glass section above the driver. The earlier Model 3’s had the visible orange UV coating on the back glass as well. All Model 3’s will show this color, when wet.

It does appear there’s something that is causing the water to sit differently, on the glass in that spot, which is showing off the UV coating more.

I personally would try cleaning with alcohol, across the entire roof glass, and then a standard glass cleaner.

If you knew the orange existed throughout that particular section, then I apologize for stating that portion.

Reactions: Tamah
All Model 3’s will show this color, when wet.
that's actually not accurate. some model 3s have it on both glass panels, some only on the front panel, and some don't have it at all.
and it's not just the first run of 50k or so, i've seen an 80k vin as well as my 122k vin that have it on both panels. my friend's 500k vin doesn't have it on either panel. my mid range only had it over the driver/passenger and that bothered me enough to seek out a DM that had it on both. i actually refused the first DM they brought be because it only had it on the front panel.

i do think that this example just has it on the front panel, and it needs to be cleaned up, waxed, etc.

I noticed this at a SC stop the day after I got my 2020, 622xxx. It was pouring rain at the time. The other Teslas, models 3 and x, showed streaks of this orange color. I thought it might be an aftermarket tint or UV treatment. They were not visible on my car.