TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Discoloring on tan drivers seat?

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by sorka, May 2, 2016.

1. sorka

sorka Active Member

This photo is of the drivers seat backrest. The gray discoloration has been getting worse over time. This is at 20K miles. None of the other seats are showing it, so it's clearly something about me or my clothing.
    [​IMG]

Thing is I have just sold an Lexus SC400 with 334K miles on it that has no sign of this:
    IMG_4713.jpg

And a Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo at 78K miles that has no sign of this:

IMG_4495.jpg IMG_4528.jpg

And a Lexus SC430 with 37K miles on it(no photo, but trust, me the seats look brand new still)

Have always had this color seat on all my cars. Never have had such an issue with discoloring and wrinkling(the seat bottom bolster issue).

2. Btrflyl8e

Btrflyl8e Active Member

Did you buy new jeans recently?

3. sorka

sorka Active Member

No but I probably should :)

I've regularly used Lexol PH glycerin cleaner and Lexol leather conditioner like I have on all my leather seats for 20+ years. No amount of cleaning seems to help. It's permanent but I don't think it's loss of pigment. I think it's staining.

4. Az_Rael

Az_Rael Active Member

Do you wear leather belts, and have you gotten a new one recently? We had this issue on our tan leather in our Acura and it was from my husband's black leather belt. The belt was transferring its dye to the tan leather staining it permanently.

5. sorka

sorka Active Member

Yes, have had the same 3 leather belts forever but I suspect that's what it is. The unfortunate thing is that it's happening at all. My SC430 isn't showing any signs of it.

6. Btrflyl8e

Btrflyl8e Active Member

I see suspenders in your future

• Funny x 1
  7. BriansBucketList

The staff at the Fremont delivery center pointed out possible Levi and belt stains to watch for on my tan next gens. I had them on a 2 year old Acura, but they came off with Lexol. I do notice much better lumbar support in the Tesla. How was lumbar support set in the Lexus ? Maybe that Tesla acceleration is causing more moisture, a frequent byproduct of excitement.

8. sorka

sorka Active Member

Actually the lumbar support is better in both Lexus's I've had.

9. Rockster

Rockster Active Member

Mine are doing it, too. My jeans are not terribly new and my previous MS had tan seats that didn't stain in this way. I need to keep after these seats every few weeks or so to keep the dye stains at bay.

10. Tanquen

Tanquen Member

It seems like it’s either a change in the chemicals used in the jeans or the leather seats. If you Google it there are tons of folks asking the same of newer cars with tan or light colored leather. I had a Mazda Millenia with tan leather for like 15 years and never saw color transfer but did wear a hole in the driver’s seat. :)

Is it even real leather anymore? I was looking at new couches and they can call almost anything leather these days.

11. BriansBucketList

I think my Lexus had better leather than the Acura or Tesla. I sense a new and unimproved leather technology. Is it even leather ? What is this stuff I'm sitting on ? To my back, that has about 28 back diseases, these seats were very comfortable, but I'm likely to be wearing sweatpants or tennis shorts.