Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Discoloring on tan drivers seat?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

sorka

Feb 28, 2015
Merced, CA
This photo is of the drivers seat backrest. The gray discoloration has been getting worse over time. This is at 20K miles. None of the other seats are showing it, so it's clearly something about me or my clothing.
20160502_171043.jpg

Thing is I have just sold an Lexus SC400 with 334K miles on it that has no sign of this:
IMG_4713.jpg

And a Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo at 78K miles that has no sign of this:

IMG_4495.jpg
IMG_4528.jpg

And a Lexus SC430 with 37K miles on it(no photo, but trust, me the seats look brand new still)

Have always had this color seat on all my cars. Never have had such an issue with discoloring and wrinkling(the seat bottom bolster issue).

Do you wear leather belts, and have you gotten a new one recently? We had this issue on our tan leather in our Acura and it was from my husband's black leather belt. The belt was transferring its dye to the tan leather staining it permanently.

Do you wear leather belts, and have you gotten a new one recently? We had this issue on our tan leather in our Acura and it was from my husband's black leather belt. The belt was transferring its dye to the tan leather staining it permanently.

Yes, have had the same 3 leather belts forever but I suspect that's what it is. The unfortunate thing is that it's happening at all. My SC430 isn't showing any signs of it.

The staff at the Fremont delivery center pointed out possible Levi and belt stains to watch for on my tan next gens. I had them on a 2 year old Acura, but they came off with Lexol. I do notice much better lumbar support in the Tesla. How was lumbar support set in the Lexus ? Maybe that Tesla acceleration is causing more moisture, a frequent byproduct of excitement.

The staff at the Fremont delivery center pointed out possible Levi and belt stains to watch for on my tan next gens. I had them on a 2 year old Acura, but they came off with Lexol. I do notice much better lumbar support in the Tesla. How was lumbar support set in the Lexus ? Maybe that Tesla acceleration is causing more moisture, a frequent byproduct of excitement.

Actually the lumbar support is better in both Lexus's I've had.

It seems like it’s either a change in the chemicals used in the jeans or the leather seats. If you Google it there are tons of folks asking the same of newer cars with tan or light colored leather. I had a Mazda Millenia with tan leather for like 15 years and never saw color transfer but did wear a hole in the driver’s seat. :)

Is it even real leather anymore? I was looking at new couches and they can call almost anything leather these days.

I think my Lexus had better leather than the Acura or Tesla. I sense a new and unimproved leather technology. Is it even leather ? What is this stuff I'm sitting on ? To my back, that has about 28 back diseases, these seats were very comfortable, but I'm likely to be wearing sweatpants or tennis shorts.