TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Disconnect during charge causes charging on reconnect?

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by ACDriveMotor, Jul 17, 2014.

1. ACDriveMotor

ACDriveMotor Member

Sorry if this has been asked/answered before. The other day I had to go to work and there was maybe 5 minutes left on my scheduled charge. Since it was so close I disconnected the cable and left for the gym. When I got home after the gym before work I reconnected and went inside to collect my things. When I came back out I saw that the car was charging. Is this known/expected behavior?

2. strider

strider Active Member

IIRC if you plug the car in up to 6 hours AFTER your scheduled start time the car will start charging. So if you schedule to start at midnight and you plug in any time between midnight and 6:00am the car will start charging immediately. You didn't list times in your post. Could that explain the behavior?

3. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

That sounds like expected behavior. If it's within the timeframe it will start to charge.

4. ACDriveMotor

ACDriveMotor Member

My car was scheduled to start at 4am. I disconnected at 5:30am with about 10 minutes left to charge. I reconnected at around 9am. It immediately started charging all the way back up to my limit.

5. strider

strider Active Member

So it's working as designed. 9am is 5 hours after 4am so since it is within 6 hours of scheduled start it would charge. Nothing to worry about :)