TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Disconnect from grid and power up system before interconnection?

Discussion in 'Tesla Energy' started by DrLegoHair, Nov 2, 2019.

1. DrLegoHair

DrLegoHair Member

My utility is taking forever to approve my interconnection application and I am dying to test out my system (solar+pw). Is there any problem with disconnecting from the grid (turn off main breaker on meter) and powering up the system? I don’t see why there would be but perhaps my exuberance is clouding my judgment

2. power.saver

power.saver Supporting Member

It probably won't start if you disconnect the grid first, then turn it on. You would have to turn it on first, then disconnect the grid so it goes into island mode. Make sure you have enough solar production to cover your house loads and charge the batteries. If the batteries are at a low state of charge, it may shutdown as soon as you disconnect.

3. DrLegoHair

DrLegoHair Member

I actually went ahead and did this. I made sure the batteries were on, then disconnected the grid and finally powered up the inverter.

Been running great all day!

4. power.saver

Excellent. Get them charged up as much as you can.

5. charlesj

charlesj Member

Did Tesla install the solar panels and the PW at the same time? Did you already have a smart net meter that runs backward and just waiting for power company inspection?

6. DrLegoHair

DrLegoHair Member

They installed everything at the same time. I am waiting for the utility to come out and install the new smart meter and approve the interconnection. The city/county inspections are already completed.

7. charlesj

charlesj Member

Thanks. then your meter cannot run backwards. Not sure what could have happened to the meter even for that short duration you tested
    the system.
    Did Tesla hook you up to their app? Did it show anything when you tested the system? How long was the test? :)

8. DrLegoHair

DrLegoHair Member

No,

I disconnected the main breaker so there is no way for power to flow back into the meter. I have been running all day, 12 hours now, like this and the app treats it like a grid outage. It would probably be illegal to do this while hooked up to the grid before the interconnection is approved.

For now it’s running like an off grid system.

9. power.saver

For now, you don't need the grid... :D

10. jjrandorin

jjrandorin Another BMW convert

What happens if the utility comes by to perform their work while the OPs system is in this state? Will they complete their work anyway, or will they not perform their work because the system is already running (even if off grid)?

I dont think the utility makes an "appointment" to come do their part of the work, since most utilities have the right to come on your property to service the meter, so they dont have to get your approval to come do their work....

11. DrLegoHair

DrLegoHair Member

You’re absolutely right. I just wanted to test it a bit over the weekend. I’m shutting it all down tonight :)

12. d21mike

d21mike Active Member

When Tesla finished and did the full system test he said I will just leave it running. Dats later when Tesla met City inspection he turned off Solar but left Batteries active.

I said okay.