TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Disconnect switch for HPWC install

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by Cosmacelf, Jan 15, 2016.

1. Cosmacelf

Cosmacelf Active Member

#1 Cosmacelf, Jan 15, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2016
  2. Lloyd

Lloyd Active Member

In most areas, the cutoff switch can be the circuit breaker if it is in sight and a reasonable distance. I used the Hubbel unit.

IMG_0347.jpg

3. Cosmacelf

Cosmacelf Active Member

Yeah, I was looking for a disconnect that could be flush mounted, and the one I posted is the only one I've found. Although that Hubbell one looks nice.

4. FlasherZ

FlasherZ Sig Model S + Sig Model X + Model 3 Resv

Yes, it will work. The only requirement is that it be readily accessible ("capable of being reached quickly for operation, renewal or inspection"), have a provision to lock the disconnect in the "off" position, and that the means to lock it is not removable when the lock isn't present. That locking tang will suffice.

5. bhzmark

bhzmark Active Member

In some jurisdic5ions a lock out at the distant panel is sufficent also. That is you can lock the breaker off and work onthe hpwc with no fear that someone will turnit back on. Much more elegant.

6. chriSharek

chriSharek Member

Pretty sure the National Electric Code says that if the breaker box is in line of sight, no disconnect is needed.

I would go so far to venture a guess (just a guess) that residential installations do not require a local-cut off as everything must go through the main panel.

7. FlasherZ

FlasherZ Sig Model S + Sig Model X + Model 3 Resv

Here is what the code actually says - and you can see why it's subject to interpretation. From NEC 2014:

For reference, 110.25 is the standard "lockable open", which says:

So the issue hinges on the definition and interpretation of "readily accessible". Here's the official definition, from article 100:

Clear as mud, isn't it?

Now, a guideline is present in the appliances article, if you're trying to convince your inspector - this was updated for the 2014 code:

So the intention appears to be preventing energizing the circuit while the appliance is being maintained. The EV article doesn't contain the same provision but I've seen it successfully argued this way.

Some inspectors consider having to go through a home to a breaker panel located elsewhere as the equivalent of an obstacle and want it in the same room or within line of sight - even if lockable. Some inspectors are just fine with a breaker elsewhere, provided it's lockable. Some are fine with "readily accessible" being located at 7' off the floor, some want it 6'4" or lower in line with the "highest breaker" mandate.

Want to be safe from red-tag inspection failures? Install one next to the device.

• Informative x 1
  8. Shaggy

Shaggy Member

IMG_1860.jpg
    For my general purpose slow L2 charger, I went low rent with a properly rated switch next to it.

9. davewill

davewill Member

The plug itself counts as a cutoff in that scenario. You didn't actually need the switch.

10. miimura

miimura Active Member

In addition, if it's under 60 amps it doesn't need a disconnect. The one strange rule I found out about when I installed my Leviton is that a plug-in EVSE must be removable without tools. That is why the Leviton unit pictured above has a knurled knob screw that allows you to pull the unit off the wall without tools. I didn't want to pay for the bracket kit for my EVB40, so I just used lag screws to attach it to the wall.

11. davewill

davewill Member

Odd, my Blink has a plug, but definitely needs tools to dismount from the wall.

12. Joelc

Joelc Member

Liked your setup so hope you don't mind I did something similar. :)
    Although had to install mine outside since I primarily park in the driveway. It's on the side of the garage and the sub-panel is almost directly behind the HPWC on the inside of the garage. We are in the middle of a remodel so was able to get the charger and disconnect installed without any visable conduit.
    [​IMG]
    Tesla HPWC and disconnect
    on Flickr

13. Lloyd

Lloyd Active Member

Nice! Don't mind at all. Now you just need a neat way to hang the cord!

14. bhzmark

bhzmark Active Member

This lockable disconnect -- just a piece of metal to which you can lock the breaker open, on the breaker panel in the basement far from the HPWC was fine for my inspector. Far more elegant and cheaper than a big ugly box near the HPWC.

20161127_090650.jpg