Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Disconnected/Bad? Key Fob

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The key fob for my 2017 100D Model X stopped working the other day. Assuming it was the battery, I swapped it out with a new one. And for a day, it worked again!

But now, the key fob isn't recognized by my Model X. Pushing the buttons to lock/unlock, open doors etc... doesn't do anything. Passive entry doesn't work. When trying to start the car, I get the "Key Fob Not Found" error on the screen in the dash.

Is there some sort of way to "reconnect" the key fob? I've found some instructions on doing so for the newer models (for example, these say to put the key fob in the left phone charging spot, but my model doesn't have a left phone spot!).

TIA!

The key fob for my 2017 100D Model X stopped working the other day. Assuming it was the battery, I swapped it out with a new one. And for a day, it worked again!

But now, the key fob isn't recognized by my Model X. Pushing the buttons to lock/unlock, open doors etc... doesn't do anything. Passive entry doesn't work. When trying to start the car, I get the "Key Fob Not Found" error on the screen in the dash.

Is there some sort of way to "reconnect" the key fob? I've found some instructions on doing so for the newer models (for example, these say to put the key fob in the left phone charging spot, but my model doesn't have a left phone spot!).

TIA!
Legacy X (and S) have no way to “reset” the fob, beyond replacing the battery. Only the Service Center (perhaps mobile also) can do that. Time to open a ticket.

he key fob for my 2017 100D Model X stopped working the other day. Assuming it was the battery, I swapped it out with a new one.

Someone here on TMC mentioned that the terminals on which the key fob battery sits on tend to get bent down when installing a new battery. Even the Service Center sometimes bends them when replacing the batteries during the vehicle's optional bi-annual service.

Maybe give this a quick shot before Mobile Service arrives:

If you remove the battery from your key fob, you will be able to see the three silver terminals at the bottom of the fob in the shape of a star. Grab a small flathead screwdriver and lift them up just a little in order for them to make better contact with the battery.

Just a word of caution, make sure you place a small amount of pressure on the middle of the "star" while you bend up the terminals in order to prevent the "star" from de-soldering from the fob's motherboard.

• Informative
Reactions: electricar