Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Disconnecting After Charging Completed

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My apologies for the most basic of questions. When I disconnect from my home charger in the morning, the charging adapter feels stuck. I feel like I need to sorta" yank it out.

It’s normal to need to use a bit of force to pull it out. However if you are encountering serious resistance it may be an issue with the charging port. Mine became increasingly difficult until I really couldn’t pull the cord out without using the emergency release in the trunk. Tesla came out and replaced the charge port under warranty and it is much better now.

My home wall connector and every supercharger I've used slide in/out of my charge port easily. I assume you hear it unlocking before you pull it out. If it still feels stuck, schedule mobile service to fix it. It's probably an easy fix.

This is what seems wrong... if the car can sense you are closeby enough to let you open a door, or open the trunk, why can't it also "know" to let you pull out the charger, perhaps with pushing the button on the charger...

‘The computer needs to wake up before it can release the charging cable. You can press in a door button or open the trunk.

‘The car senses your phone being nearby that allows you to open the door, but this does not wake up the systems,

‘The computer needs to wake up before it can release the charging cable. You can press in a door button or open the trunk.

‘The car senses your phone being nearby that allows you to open the door, but this does not wake up the systems,
? So you're saying a different smaller system is smart enough to recognize your phonekey nearby, the one that you registered using the big system, but this smaller system only lets you open the doors, not remove the charger or wake up the big system... Doesn't make sense.

As long as your phonekey is recognized you can remove the charge cable by pressing & holding the button. I do think the car needs a couple seconds to "wake up" and do all things necessary to safely pull the cable out. Also, the car doesn't unlock just because your phonekey is within range. Would be pretty annoying if the car woke up and unlocked every time you walked by...

Reactions: jdcollins5
? So you're saying a different smaller system is smart enough to recognize your phonekey nearby, the one that you registered using the big system, but this smaller system only lets you open the doors, not remove the charger or wake up the big system... Doesn't make sense.

The answer to your question is yes. See above post^. Just because it does not make sense to you does not mean that is the way it is intended to work. It works that way for good reasons if you really think about it.

When I walk to my car I am ready to leave. Open the driver door to wake it up. Turn around, disconnect charger and jump in and go. What is the big deal?

• Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H
As long as your phonekey is recognized you can remove the charge cable by pressing & holding the button.
that doesn't seem to be the case, for me at least... I will try again.
Open the driver door to wake it up. Turn around, disconnect charger and jump in and go. What is the big deal?
In my garage I cannot walk in front of the car but approach it from passenger side to rear to driver's side. That means I have to double back after opening the driver's door to remove the charger. Its not a BIG deal, but it is a little deal. As it is now I do a light touch on the rear door which wakes up the car so I can remove the charger, all before opening the driver's door. It would be nicer if I could just push the button to remove the charger without the unnecessary rear door touch.

that doesn't seem to be the case, for me at least... I will try again.
In my garage I cannot walk in front of the car but approach it from passenger side to rear to driver's side. That means I have to double back after opening the driver's door to remove the charger. Its not a BIG deal, but it is a little deal. As it is now I do a light touch on the rear door which wakes up the car so I can remove the charger, all before opening the driver's door. It would be nicer if I could just push the button to remove the charger without the unnecessary rear door touch.

3rd world problem!. You can open “any” door or trunk. You are just making this sound difficult because it is not the way you want it.

• Funny
Reactions: Rocky_H
3rd world problem!. You can open “any” door or trunk. You are just making this sound difficult because it is not the way you want it.
Maybe you mean "1st world problem"... I don't think Tesla's are very common in the 3rd world...A 3rd world problem would be like: There isn't an electrical outlet for 10mi around in the center of my village, and it only works when the drug lords are at peace. How can I charge my Tesla?

I said it was a "little deal"... but yeah, it isn't optimal and I know that I am not the only one who thinks this since I've seen several other posts that say the same thing.
And isn't 50% of the posts on this forums about wishing things were a little different/improved/"the way someone expects"... all "1st world problems"...

So I still haven't a cogent rationale for why pushing the charge handle button can't wake up whatever is needed to unlock the charger the way touching a door apparently can. Perhaps something along the lines of: the charger button is on the charger handle and doesn't have a direct electrical connection to the car's CPU to wake it up, unlike the door handles...
As long as your phonekey is recognized you can remove the charge cable by pressing & holding the button.
This doesn't work for me. Are you sure it is supposed to work as you describe? Maybe you have Sentry mode on all the time?

Last edited: