Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Disconnecting Charging Cable Delay

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After charging overnight, I want to disconnect the charging cable the next day. I push the button on the connector, and then have to wait for, what seems like forever, about 15 or so seconds for the car to disengage and let me remove the connector. Recently, I've found that if I quickly open/close the back door then I can instantly disconnect (the car is parked in a garage and not locked, no sentry etc.). I'm impatient, so now this is my routine for disconnecting. Is there a "real" way to disconnect faster than pushing the button on the connector? Not a huge deal, just curious if there is an optimum way to disconnect.

Your car is probably sleeping. It seems that the charge port is only active when the high voltage battery is ON. When you wake the car up, it takes a few seconds before the contactors are connected to the HV battery. You'll hear a loud clunk. In any case, the car must also be unlocked for the charge port to disconnect. Your best bet is exactly that, open a door (which wakes the car and unlocks it) and then unplug your cable.

• Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H
After charging overnight, I want to disconnect the charging cable the next day. I push the button on the connector, and then have to wait for, what seems like forever, about 15 or so seconds for the car to disengage and let me remove the connector. Recently, I've found that if I quickly open/close the back door then I can instantly disconnect (the car is parked in a garage and not locked, no sentry etc.). I'm impatient, so now this is my routine for disconnecting. Is there a "real" way to disconnect faster than pushing the button on the connector? Not a huge deal, just curious if there is an optimum way to disconnect.

Try "holding" the button instead of pushing it. Pushing the button on the HPWC never worked for me unless I did the "wake car by slightly opening rear door" trick. I got in the habit of going to the trunk first to put my backpack in (thus waking the car) THEN pushing the button to detach the HPWC cable.

That worked, but not that long ago I tried just holding the button on the HPWC instead of pushing it, and it both woke the car up and let me detach the cable. It wasnt instant, though, took a few seconds to wake up, but not much longer than it took for the car to recognize the trunk or something.

Try "holding" the button instead of pushing it. Pushing the button on the HPWC never worked for me unless I did the "wake car by slightly opening rear door" trick. I got in the habit of going to the trunk first to put my backpack in (thus waking the car) THEN pushing the button to detach the HPWC cable.

That worked, but not that long ago I tried just holding the button on the HPWC instead of pushing it, and it both woke the car up and let me detach the cable. It wasnt instant, though, took a few seconds to wake up, but not much longer than it took for the car to recognize the trunk or something.
I do something similar and I'm not using HPWC but it seems to work the same way. It was an update last year that "fixed" it so the car is woken up by pressing and holding the release button. Doh, it was me that started a thread about it for J1772 3/Y seem to wake up/unlock charge port now by pressing J1772 release button

Unless something has changed, when the temps are around 36F or lower the (this 36F temp might be exact) charge port wand will not be locked if not actively charging (even if the car is locked). This leaves your UMC/J1772 adapter vulnerable to theft! This was one of Tesla's fixes for frozen charge port problems.