Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Disconnecting Tesla Charger from Car

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
From what I've read in this forum and what Tesla distributes, the Tesla wall charger/connector should be released from the Tesla charge port by merely holding the button on the charger and removing. The only way I can remove the charger from my car is a combination of voodoo - holding button, then going onto the Tesla app and finally clicking the fob.

Does anyone have this problem, and is there a solution?

My car is asleep generally when I press the button on the Wall Connector handle. Pressing the button starts it to wake up. After about 5 seconds, press it again. Sometimes it takes 10 to 15 seconds. It will release when the car wakes up enough to do a handshake with the charge port -- not long.

From what I've read in this forum and what Tesla distributes, the Tesla wall charger/connector should be released from the Tesla charge port by merely holding the button on the charger and removing. The only way I can remove the charger from my car is a combination of voodoo - holding button, then going onto the Tesla app and finally clicking the fob.

Does anyone have this problem, and is there a solution?

I dont know if its the same on a model S, but on a model 3 you need to have a passive key with you, if your car is asleep. your description sounds like the vehicle is asleep, in which case the wall connector plug is locked in there.

you need to have a key with you that the car recognizes as a remote key, then HOLD the button on the wall connector handle. The fact you have to use the app also tells me that you may not have a key with you.

Crack a door open, then remove the handle.
This also wakes up the car. The delay OP is experiencing is normal. My 2020 does not have a card, bit I do keep the key with me. While the key unlocks the door -- I keep it unlocked in my garage -- it does not seem to wake the car up until you open the car door, or press the wall connector handle button.

I dont know if its the same on a model S, but on a model 3 you need to have a passive key with you, if your car is asleep. your description sounds like the vehicle is asleep, in which case the wall connector plug is locked in there.

you need to have a key with you that the car recognizes as a remote key, then HOLD the button on the wall connector handle. The fact you have to use the app also tells me that you may not have a key with you.
Thank you.