Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Discount for demo vehicle?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was set to take delivery of a LR RWD today that was matched from inventory, but when we were going over the paperwork the car had over 2k miles, a vin of 40xxx (from the summer) and had been used as a demo. I refused the delivery so I could have some time to think it over.

The car has not been titled, so the federal tax credit still applies.

Tesla is offering a wall charger. What is a reasonable discount for this type of car?

I was set to take delivery of a LR RWD today that was matched from inventory, but when we were going over the paperwork the car had over 2k miles, a vin of 40xxx (from the summer) and had been used as a demo. I refused the delivery so I could have some time to think it over.

Tesla is offering a wall charger. What is a reasonable discount for this type of car?
I would think more than $500. Maybe $2,000? But if they are no longer selling RWD, maybe they can get somebody to take it off their hands for a $500 discount.

I just took delivery of an inventory (test drive) unit LR RWD without EAP two weeks ago. I already knew ahead of time and Tesla offered a $1740 discount on the car, so I'd ask for that if you are wanting a test drive unit. The warranty also starts when you take delivery, so technically it's ~122,000. I tried asking for a bigger discount (just for fun) and was shot down. My delivery guy was trying to be a bit picky when I picked up as a wheel had curb rash and I was missing the phone charger cable inside. He said, "well you got a discount". Just push and you'll get what you need. Guess that guy didn't understand that the minor discount was actually for miles.

I think one reason they don't want to do a discount is that all the paperwork would have to be redone.

As you indicated, the issue is there are almost no more LR RWD cars available.

I've had a couple of bad experiences so far. First, they messed up my 'off the menu' order by building the wrong color, and now they tried to deliver an inventory car. :(

I think one reason they don't want to do a discount is that all the paperwork would have to be redone.

As you indicated, the issue is there are almost no more LR RWD cars available.

I've had a couple of bad experiences so far. First, they messed up my 'off the menu' order by building the wrong color, and now they tried to deliver an inventory car. :(
Yeah, redoing paperwork should be easy. Sounds like they are hinging on the fact they can sell it full price to someone. Sorry for your experience. Stay firm and tell them it's a demo and you want the car, but want a fair deal for something that has been driven 2,000 miles.

I bought a rwd demo in Oct during the Q3 push. They had a few demos in the system, all of which were discounted $0.78/mi on the odometer. I drove the car first so I knew there were no paint issues, wind noise, etc. FWIW, they sent my car to delivery for detailing. It was delivered in like new condition.

What happens when they stop producing LR RWD and someone declines the last one? Do they make them upgrade to D or downgrade to MR?
I wouldn't expect this scenario to actually occur; I'll be shocked if RWD LR isn't 'reborn' for the EU very soon (and therefore for North America). No reason for Tesla not to go after RWD LR EU demand when they open up orders over there, and to simultaneously serve renewed RWD LR demand in NA at the same time. Like Chick-Fil-A being closed on Sundays, creating false scarcity helps to increase demand.

It’s typically IRS mileage (about 0.50/mile) discount. Getting the HPWC and installation would be a great deal. The VIN is fine.

The discount they give varies on the spec and reasons for the discount. The more expensive the car, the more margin there seems to be. I got a demo P3D+ with 64 miles on it, not titled and never owned/sold. On inspection the left side mirror looked perfect, but I could tell from the feel it had been repainted. There was also a scratch on the bumper that would require it to be repainted (which is not as good as the factory). It was the end of Q3 and I basically got most of the performance upgrade package for free after discounts and things thrown in, $5k package at the time.

2000 miles isn't a small amount. I have no idea if they'd even entertain this, but I'd ask for $2000, or $1500+ wall charger. Or have them get rid of the cost of the paint color + charger. If you're comfortable with 2000 miles, you want to try and make a deal both sides can work with. If they offer less than $1500 worth of discount/goods/services I'd probably ask them to look for a different vehicle that matches my config.

The best analyzed reason why Tesla stopped offering RWD is they are battery limited for production.

By forging RWD for now, they can make 20 percent more cars roughly.

A color option like metallic silver or obm probdvly returns once Tesla finishes the 2018 push.

Reactions: Firedog7881
Pretty awful they did not make you aware it had miles. There are new inventory LR RWD cars available. Call you fancy named owner advisor everyday to check the inventory. Either someone canceled or they over produced. I was able to find a red one (that we executed on) and contemplating black one. Both late Oct 2018 builds.

The discount for these used 3s are not worth it. Let’s say the car has had 5mil test drives. That means someone has sat in that car for X times if you do the math. Nah. Go new.

I think $1/mile is reasonable. I bought my first P85+ as an inventory car with 8000 miles on it, and it was 8 months old, so (at the time, not any more) they were giving $1/mile and $1000/month inventory discount. So for a pretty new Model 3 with 2k miles, a $2k discount seems pretty reasonable. Also, even with 8k miles on in, my P85+ was "like new" when I picked it up. 2000 miles is not a lot of miles in the long-run.

Yes, for Model 3 all VIN sequence/unit numbers are the last 6 digits of the VIN.

And also true for most Model S and X.

The only exceptions are a few early MS or MX "Founders" or "Signature" series cars that are Sxxxxx or Fxxxxx and Model S cars up to about VIN 80100 which are Pxxxxx. After that they went to full six digit numbers.