Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Discount Tire refused to install TSportline TSS wheel/tire package on MYP

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A few months back, I took delivery of the TSportline TSS 20 inch wheel & tire package, with Michelin AS3+ 255/40/20 tires. I was excited to have them installed at my local Discount Tire after hearing many good reviews and recommendations from the Tesla community.

Discount Tire, however, refused to install the wheels on my Model Y Performance because the load rating on the tires was below the stock wider rear tires on the 21 inch Uberturbines (103W). They said they could install them in the front which had a lower load rating due to the staggered fitment. Despite me explaining that the Performance model is the same weight as the Long Range, for which the stock tires matched the load rating of the Michelin aftermarket tires, they said they could not install my aftermarket tires since they were below the factory spec.

Has anyone else experienced a similar issue switching to a square fitment aftermarket wheel/tire package on the Model Y Performance? I would like to consider going back to Discount Tire for rotations, but the rep said they would be unable to service my car with those tires installed.

• Informative
Reactions: FlatSix911
A few months back, I took delivery of the TSportline TSS 20 inch wheel & tire package, with Michelin AS3+ 255/40/20 tires. I was excited to have them installed at my local Discount Tire after hearing many good reviews and recommendations from the Tesla community.

Discount Tire, however, refused to install the wheels on my Model Y Performance because the load rating on the tires was below the stock wider rear tires on the 21 inch Uberturbines (103W). They said they could install them in the front which had a lower load rating due to the staggered fitment. Despite me explaining that the Performance model is the same weight as the Long Range, for which the stock tires matched the load rating of the Michelin aftermarket tires, they said they could not install my aftermarket tires since they were below the factory spec.

Has anyone else experienced a similar issue switching to a square fitment aftermarket wheel/tire package on the Model Y Performance? I would like to consider going back to Discount Tire for rotations, but the rep said they would be unable to service my car with those tires installed.
I ran into a similar situation at Americas Tire in northern CA. I had the 21" arachnids as referral award which Tesla installed. Americas tire would take them off and put my 19" on but would not work on the 21" due to load rating. It didn't matter to me as I sold the 21" after 2K miles. 21" tires are very expensive compared to the 19" too.

Reactions: kaess
Since it’s their corporate policy it becomes a liability issue for them if they decide to do it for you. No one wants to have their insurance or corporate deny coverage just to please a customer.
Look for another shop to install it. Just a result of the sue happy world we live in.

Reactions: kaess
^^^what he said.

A decade ago, Firestone refused to put new tires on the front of my car with worn tires on the rear. Tech pointed to a framed document on the wall, stating that this was Firestone policy. (I don't know if this policy still exists.)

Liability controls corporate entities more than indy shops.

Reactions: Velcade and kaess