Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Discount tire refusing to install winter tires on Model S Plaid?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had the exact same concern and brought it up to them. They put the car in Jack mode and assured me it would be okay. They said every 3rd car they work on is a Tesla and they’ve never had issues before.

Hopefully someone else more knowledgeable and chime in and assure me this’ll be okay 🤣
If they have no issues then so be it. Spreading the weight over that surface area maybe saves it.

easiest way around this is to just bring the rims and tires to the shop and say mount and balance these for me. Never had an issue at any tire shop.
i run Pirelli Sotozero 255/40/20 101V XL.
The summer Falken's I run are 245/35/21 96Y front and 265/35/21 101Y rears again never had an issue but i also dono what the stock rating is for my car. Ive got over 120k miles on these 2 brands of tires never had an issue with either and i don't drive my car softly i got a lead foot everywhere i go.

Discount Tire are refusing to mount winter tires on my Model S Plaid purchased from tire track as they deemed it a safety risk. They told me the load index of the car is higher than the tires are rated for. I drive back to IL tomorrow through the mountains so I really needed winter tires on it today.

Please could someone verify that they are correct in that it would be unsafe to mount these tires?

The tires I purchased:
255/40R-19 VREDESTEIN QUATRAC PRO XL (Front)
275/35R-19 VREDESTEIN QUATRAC PRO XL (Rear)
No you just have to find another installer that load rating is purely technical unless you plan on piling up your car and loading it to the max it’s not going to be an issue but like everything else nobody wants to sign off on 1/2 of one percent chance it could be an issue so I just find another installer don’t worry. I had under rated load rating on an earlier model Y drove it for 2000 miles no problem but I was always one to two passengers in the car and not carrying any cargo and have since changed so common sense applies here.

Actually, I suspect the Tire shop's insurer tells them what they can/can't do. Only takes one crash because the wrong tire was installed, and it could cost them millions. Easier and cheaper to just refuse to put an improper tire on a car even if it seems safe. I can't imagine it happens often enough that it's a money-maker for the tire shop either. The reason another tire shop installed them is they likely have never been sued. Big chains have deep pockets and become easy targets when something goes wrong.

Reactions: ucmndd