Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Discounted Model 3s

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
it appears there’s excess inventory of RWD Model 3s. 1 year of Supercharging is now being offered for inventory cars to help move them. What happens to the cars built in 2018 when 2019 begins? They become one year old cars and one year old cars get discounted to help get rid of them. I think it was said; Teslas will never be discounted. I can’t see someone buying a “new” 2018 M3 in 2019 without a discount.

Thoughts?

I will be very surprised if any are left by then and if by chance there was one Tesla does not have model years as do normal cars. So I would not get your hopes up. And if you take delivery in 2019 your tax credit will drop to $3750.

And the Supercharing while nice is not much of a deal as it is only useful on trips. My longest trip of 650 miles yielded $16.20 in SuperCharger fees. Not enough to move the needle.

Yeah. They are definitely pushing the inventory 3s they have, but they seem to be Ps. My delivery set for 9/23 wasn't going to happen and they've presented me with a similarly configured inventory 3 for a slight discount. I'm just not sure the discount is enough to warrant the 800 miles + foot traffic it has sustained...and, it had the performance upgrade package which I didn't really want.

Today was brutal...spent 3hrs in traffic on I-5 to inspect the car but turns out they sent it to the delivery center already and nobody had keys so I was SOL. :( They sure aren't making things easy to buy their cars...but, the staff are trying. Maybe I'll just keep my S a little longer.

No big deal that Tesla has some inventory.....that’s actually normal for a car company! If for whatever reason, the factory has capacity for making RWD that can’t be shifted to AWD then they should keep making those cars and build up some inventory. You never know when a buyer might be willing to buy right away but might not wait 6 weeks.

The fact that it’s “old” means nothing unless there’s a major transition on hardware. The entire fleet gets upgraded via software all the time, so something on the lot is just as new as a new car.