TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Discovering Autopilot Limitations the hard way...(Accident!)

Discussion in 'Model X' started by wallstguy, Jun 13, 2017.

1. wallstguy

wallstguy Member

Here in Toronto Canada, while driving on a highway (The Gardiner heading into Downtown) - 8am rush hour - stop and go traffic.

Essentially was in the absolute right lane in stop and go traffic, with vehicle in full autopilot control. I was watching the road and all, but I assumed the scenario under which the accident occurred would have been covered by Autopilot...learned the hard way it was not.

Regardless, accident was "not at fault".

What happened: I was driving in my lane, while another driver attempted to change lanes into my lane - Autopilot failed to pick up the other car entering and did not slow down - No beeps/warnings/etc. came on the dash board.

Result: Driver side front hit of my X hit the passenger side rear of the other driver.

When I got out to assess the damage, I saw "red paint" (other drivers car colour) on my front bumper, but I was able to wipe it right off with just my finger - Thank you XPEL! And could not note any other damage.

I told the other guy I don't think theres any damage and it would be the cost of replacing the XPEL as far as I can tell. He starts accusing me and making it look like I was at fault and told me he'll go through insurance...so I told him fine be it.

Took it to the Tesla Store and they confirmed, they don't think theres any damage under XPEL.

Told the guy again its a couple hundred in repairs and it'll cost him an extra $1k or so in premium hikes if he wants to go through insurance...He insisted it was my fault and went....so, I called up the insurance co, and they said fault is always for the car entering the lane if the accident occurs while entering (which it did as it hit just as he started entering).

Body shop assessed the damage after removing the XPEL and noted a couple minor scratches - "This could have been buffed out as long as I didn't have an issue with it - at most $20 Tesla paint touch up" - However they went ahead and repainted the front bumper fully.

~$800+taxes CAD ($588 USD) for parts and labour.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. wallstguy

wallstguy Member

As much as I'm a little unimpressed by the autopilot limitation, I'm actually impressed by how well the car handled in terms of there being almost no damage! Not sure if this is cause of XPEL or if the X is just that awesome!

3. travwill

travwill Active Member

Ah yes, this scenario has always sucked with AP1 and AP2 I'm sure as well. When a car merges in front of you close, it takes a bit for the camera to notice it, and radar. The ultrasonic sensors in front don't seem to get used for this depending on speed and at best just chime and don't trigger any AEB/side collision avoidance, etc.

In rush hour I used to use setting for distance #3, had too many cut ins all the time so use #2 usually and #1 at times to help keep the gap smaller. But even then an idiotic driver will squeeze in. In about 25% of cases my MS/MX would hit the car if I didn't cancel AP by breaking, etc.

Keep spreading the word on this scenario I'd say. BTW, excellent color choices ;-)

• Like x 1
  4. Peteybabes

Peteybabes redneck drivin' a tesla...

i would say that with the extra ap2 cameras this shouldn't be a problem in the future as it gets better...

5. Tam

Tam Active Member

What the damage to the other car looks like?

I think, usually, the one who hits a car in front is at fault with a few exceptions such as when you got cut off.

The car in front is cutting you off if it is still straddling 2 lanes while you hit it. Physical evidence could be a damage to one side of that car, not dead center of that car.

6. wallstguy

wallstguy Member

Yeah camera makes sense, I was just a little disappointed the ultrasonic sensors didn't pick up anything, especially given the AP 2 ones are "enhanced" with additional coverage, even the whole autopilot diagram seems to indicate these types of instances are what those sensors would pick up.

Tesla did confirm with their logs that nothing unusual was found and car was operating "as designed".

Thanks :) love this colour, kept it on both X's I've had haha.

Damage on the other car was minor but can be more easily seen as the paint did actually come off. It was on the rear passenger side near the light deflector.

You're right, about hitting from behind, and that's what the guy who was driving the other car was arguing with me against, that because I hit him from behind it's my fault regardless of whether he tried to cut me off.

Either way insurance already confirmed it was the other driver at fault, so no issue there. Just sucks to have a claim against the car in terms of resale value.

• Informative x 1
  7. Tam

Tam Active Member

My AP2 works pretty well most of the time and it can brake for some cars cutting me off in front too.

In the example below, it first didn't brake timely for the white pick up truck so I had to manually did but after that it did brake very well for the silver Honda sedan.

Regardless, it is still true that owners still have to be on guard until the system will mature in future.

8. Algbc

Algbc Member

hey Wallstguy I too am from Toronto and I commute between Mississauga and Toronto almost every day.
    since I got my car I always activate auto pilot when I'm on the QEW and Gardiner. and I am on the right lane most of the time, I hear people complain that the car wants to exit when it gets closed to the ramp. but up until today I never experienced it, I mean it always corrected itself but I never had to turn the wheel to avoid exits. I'm not sure what happen do you suggest to power down the car and reboot it?

9. Algbc

Algbc Member

I always keep it in 3 car distance as well but I feel it is more like 2 cars , don't you think?

10. travwill

travwill Active Member

I don't think the distance settings 1-7 actually transact to car length distances. They also vary based on speed of course quite a bit. In traffic I use 2 and even 1 sometimes now as the system TACC is very good at keeping the distance and has never had issues there, just cut ins are the problem and those smaller distances help deter people from doing it. In higher freeway speeds 3 is about as low as I try to go, usually aim for 5-6 I'd say so that it has plenty of time to react, I can react to items it doesn't consider issues (potholes, tire treads, etc.). It also helps get the benefit of sometimes seeing the car in front of the car in front of you if you aren't too far away.

• Like x 1
  11. K-MTG

K-MTG Sunshade Captain of TMC

The car handles bumps fairly well...this resulted in zero damage to the car.

12. wallstguy

wallstguy Member

Not sure what you're asking, its normal for the car to not go towards the exit ramp, It'll look like it leans that way but near the end it corrects itself. Don't know what rebooting the car will do.

Oh I would be steaming hot red if that happened to me...

13. Economite

Economite Member

So isn't this basically a case where AP, by not being courteous and letting the guy into your lane, essentially caused an accident that was technically the other guy's fault, but wouldn't have occurred if you (rather than AP) was driving your car?

If all cars behave like AP cars do, it might get awefully hard to ever change lanes on slow-moving, congested highways. Lane changes in those situations almost always involve another driver "letting you in" to their lane.

14. wallstguy

wallstguy Member

Yes essentially to your first part. Whether it would be a swerve or brakes, it is more likely that if AP was not present this accident could have been. I.e. would have been more reactive to take over vs assuming AP can handle a situation. Based on all other driving (i.e. non-stand still traffic) I've always noted AP being extra precautions and hitting the brakes when someone enters the lane. But in this case, to AP it was like the other car was non existent, and continued to drive at consistent speed without beeping anything.

15. mkjayakumar

mkjayakumar Active Member

Agreed this edge case really annoys me, and I am more worried about getting into fender bender with car that is a few inches into your lane and had to stop because the traffic ahead stopped. I have had folks annoyed at me because my AP wouldn't let them in.