Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Discrepancy between app and Powerwall API

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Others reported that their reserve percentage changed when they were upgraded to 1.10.2; This also happened to me. I had the reserve at 25% and it was knocked down to 21% if my memory serves correctly. I adjusted it back to 25% and it's remained there.

I decided to write some software this evening to scrape data from the Gateway's API and stuff it into InfluxDB, and before I even got started, I noticed that the API shows "SOE" is 27.45%, yet the phone app shows 24%. The Gateway itself shows 27%. Anyone else seeing this?

It's as if they decided to start reserving some of the PW2 capacity.

I have noticed that the app rounds a lot of data which makes a difference between the app and when reading direct from the gateway. But since the latest firmware and app download the gap has grown. App showing 57% and direct read (http://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx/api/system_status/soe) it shows 59.01755882562024% - right after updating - maybe they are limiting the refresh rate - mine is starting to charge from solar.

I have noticed that the app rounds a lot of data which makes a difference between the app and when reading direct from the gateway. But since the latest firmware and app download the gap has grown. App showing 57% and direct read (http://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx/api/system_status/soe) it shows 59.01755882562024% - right after updating - maybe they are limiting the refresh rate - mine is starting to charge from solar.
My app shows 79% and that API call shows 79.88334044672072

Shygar, are you on 1.10.2?

My reserve is currently 30% on 1.10.2.

I've started keeping a time-series database with Powerwall data collected at 1-second intervals.

According to my software instrumentation, my Powerwalls stopped providing energy at 1:09 AM today at 33.50%. I'll keep an eye on this behavior for a few days to see if it's consistent. All the other data I'm collecting is consistent with what I see in the Tesla app. Only the battery state of charge is different. (Ignoring lag and rounding problems in the Tesla app, of course.)

I wonder if they added a 3.5% buffer at the bottom end to allow the new off-grid restart procedure.

upload_2017-12-30_15-44-17.png

I don't know why the solar meter shows production when it's in night mode, but it does that all night long. I guess they decided to make it easy on installers that get the CT orientation wrong.

• Informative
Reactions: Ulmo
Yep I am on 1.10.2 with a reserve of 15%. After getting upgraded to 1.10.2 my reserve showed 11% in the app but I changed it back to 15%.

Did you build that software to pull that API data? I want to do something similar but I haven't had the time

Did you build that software to pull that API data? I want to do something similar but I haven't had the time

Yes, I wrote a small thing to poll the data and publish it to an MQTT broker, and another small thing that subscribes to the MQTT topics and stuffs the data into InfluxDB. From that, I put together a big Grafana dashboard. It's very much still a work in progress. You can play with an interactive snapshot here: Grafana

• Informative
Reactions: Shygar
I'm a bit amused that people continue to develop a way to monitor their PW2 when it has been developed and refined on pvoutput.org. I guess it boils down to the ownership of the data, it really is the only explanation I can come up with - feedback though about the subject is appreciated.

I'm a bit amused that people continue to develop a way to monitor their PW2 when it has been developed and refined on pvoutput.org. I guess it boils down to the ownership of the data, it really is the only explanation I can come up with - feedback though about the subject is appreciated.

I've never heard of this, and looking at the site, there's nothing documented about integrating with Tesla or Solarcity.

Thanks for the link. That looks nice, and may be a good solution for Kren. I'm after some home automation system integrations, and Windows isn't allowed in my house. :D

It will also run on linux and mac since it's a java app. Just run the "bin/pvoutput.sh" script to start, once it's configured. I've done a dry run, but will configure it once I get some time and donate to pvoutput.org.