Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Discrepancy between Gateway solar CT and Enphase

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Apologies if this has been asked before, but I just got Powerwalls installed with my Enphase solar system from a third party installer. It’s winter here so solar production is very low, but I’ve noticed that the Gateway reports a lot less solar production than my Enphase monitoring app shows. The Gateway solar CT is located inside the Gateway and I’m fairly sure it’s installed correctly. I also notice in the power flow that during the day house consumption drops to near zero while the displayed solar output is always less than what Enphase is reporting. I’m assuming the house is consuming some of the solar and the Gateway is not picking that up with the CT, but I’m not sure if this is accurate. Has anyone else noticed this issue?

D9B25ACA-0895-4B3E-969B-E7E1F30CD8CB.jpeg
9A07F787-BCD3-44A5-A916-BE8462A493B6.jpeg

Attachments

• 0029F693-EC58-487A-9F7E-9EC852A43C14.jpeg
    0029F693-EC58-487A-9F7E-9EC852A43C14.jpeg
    315.7 KB · Views: 196
First, the Home quantity in the Tesla app should never be zero. That alone indicates a problem.
That said, Tesla and Enphase don't report the same quantity. Tesla's measurement is inherently less accurate.

Here is a comparison of my system reporting. My Enphase installation does not have consumption monitoring, only production monitoring.
My Powerwalls were installed nearly 4 years ago, solar is 9 years old.
Production comparison
Day - Tesla - Enphase
1/11 - 4.2kWh - 3.72kWh
1/10 - 3.5kWh - 3.05kWh
1/9 - 3.4kWh - 2.97kWh
1/8 - 4.1kWh - 3.74kWh
1/7 - 3.7kWh - 3.30kWh
1/6 - 3.6kWh - 3.20kWh

First, the Home quantity in the Tesla app should never be zero. That alone indicates a problem.
That said, Tesla and Enphase don't report the same quantity. Tesla's measurement is inherently less accurate.

Here is a comparison of my system reporting. My Enphase installation does not have consumption monitoring, only production monitoring.
My Powerwalls were installed nearly 4 years ago, solar is 9 years old.
Production comparison
Day - Tesla - Enphase
1/11 - 4.2kWh - 3.72kWh
1/10 - 3.5kWh - 3.05kWh
1/9 - 3.4kWh - 2.97kWh
1/8 - 4.1kWh - 3.74kWh
1/7 - 3.7kWh - 3.30kWh
1/6 - 3.6kWh - 3.20kWh
Thanks, when I saw the house consumption hit zero, it just seemed like there was a small amount of “unmeasured” solar that offset my houses baseline consumption of 0.3-0.4 kW. Once the heat pump came on, the house draw shot up to 1.4 kW, which was still about 0.3 kW below where it should have been. The excess solar was definitely consumed by the house but the Gateway never acknowledged it was produced in the first place.

Could this be a bad CT?

Thanks, when I saw the house consumption hit zero, it just seemed like there was a small amount of “unmeasured” solar that offset my houses baseline consumption of 0.3-0.4 kW. Once the heat pump came on, the house draw shot up to 1.4 kW, which was still about 0.3 kW below where it should have been. The excess solar was definitely consumed by the house but the Gateway never acknowledged it was produced in the first place.

Could this be a bad CT?
My guess is that maybe it isn’t configured properly on the gateway even though it’s physically installed. Since the CT should be directly measuring the PV output it shouldn’t be that far off.

I too have a hybrid system. My Enphase Envoy usually records about a 10-200 of watts more of solar power than my gateway. It never records less. That is because the Envoy IQ measures production at each microinverter, so it tends to be more accurate. Whereas the gateway just measures total production passing through the main cable. And since the Envoy is closer, there is some energy loss before it gets to the gateway along with the gateway itself using energy for it's own monitoring and function

Reactions: el-guapin
My guess is that maybe it isn’t configured properly on the gateway even though it’s physically installed. Since the CT should be directly measuring the PV output it shouldn’t be that far off.
The Home quantity is calculated from Grid and Solar. Something isn't configured correctly if the Home value ever hugs the zero line. There is an option to measure only one phase and double it. That option should never be used on the Grid CTs because it's inherently inaccurate due to not properly measuring separate 120V loads on each phase. You really need to get the installer out to check everything and compare the Grid value to the utility meter in real time.

Reactions: bemyax
I too have a hybrid system. My Enphase Envoy usually records about a 10-200 of watts more of solar power than my gateway. It never records less. That is because the Envoy IQ measures production at each microinverter, so it tends to be more accurate. Whereas the gateway just measures total production passing through the main cable. And since the Envoy is closer, there is some energy loss before it gets to the gateway along with the gateway itself using energy for it's own monitoring and function
It is not entirely accurate. Enphase allows to configure PV production using CT or aggregate of microinverters reading. I configured mine to use CT. Enphase CT is rated to be used as RGM so it should be more accurate.

The Home quantity is calculated from Grid and Solar. Something isn't configured correctly if the Home value ever hugs the zero line. There is an option to measure only one phase and double it. That option should never be used on the Grid CTs because it's inherently inaccurate due to not properly measuring separate 120V loads on each phase. You really need to get the installer out to check everything and compare the Grid value to the utility meter in real time.
I’m certain the grid CT is accurate. My Tesla gateway solar CT is only capturing 60% of the actual power in solar wire coming from my Enphase combiner/Envoy. The excess “unmeasured” solar is being consumed by the house and pushing the grid CT to zero or negative, causing an inaccurate home consumption reading when the sun is out. I called Tesla and they submitted a ticket and they said they will reach out to my installer with instructions on how to fix it. I honestly prefer it this way as I’m not confident my installer could fix this without Tesla involvement. Thanks for the tips!

I don't fully understand the tech talk here, but my experience is as follows: My AP Systems microinverter ECU, for all of 2021, is about 6% higher than the PW Gateway. The ECU was higher in every month except December 2021. Same for 2020, every month the ECU was higher. Other December activity on the ECU indicates it may be defective.

My installer says the ECU should be more accurate as it gets data directly from microinverters. He says he could add another production CT, to individually monitor both phases of the solar feeders. They'll be out Jan 26 with a certified meter to figure out the discrepancy.

Just an update on my issue. I submitted a ticket with Tesla about two weeks ago. Yesterday, there was a sudden "dump" of over 65 kWh of solar that was previously never reported in the app. I cross referenced this with my Enphase app and it was indeed the missing solar production from the day the Gateway was commissioned within 5% (now Tesla is reporting slightly more solar than my inverter is reporting). They definitely made an adjustment to my Gateway on the backend to fix this issue.

Just an update on my issue. I submitted a ticket with Tesla about two weeks ago. Yesterday, there was a sudden "dump" of over 65 kWh of solar that was previously never reported in the app. I cross referenced this with my Enphase app and it was indeed the missing solar production from the day the Gateway was commissioned within 5% (now Tesla is reporting slightly more solar than my inverter is reporting). They definitely made an adjustment to my Gateway on the backend to fix this issue.
I might have to try that too. Just got Powerwalls installed last week. My panels are currently mostly snow covered so I have not got a good production day yet and the Powerwalls are still working on fully charging but I am seeing a difference in what Enphase and Tesla are reporting for production. For example yesterday Enlighten says 2.4kwh and Tesla says 1.3kwh.

I might have to try that too. Just got Powerwalls installed last week. My panels are currently mostly snow covered so I have not got a good production day yet and the Powerwalls are still working on fully charging but I am seeing a difference in what Enphase and Tesla are reporting for production. For example yesterday Enlighten says 2.4kwh and Tesla says 1.3kwh.
This is almost the exact ratio of unreported solar that I had with my Enphase system. Definitely call Tesla.

I understand that this is 18 days old but here is my experience with my hybrid system. Enphase inverters reporting to Enphase and Tesla CT place behind the solar breaker in my subpanel, so it has the direct power reading as well, sent to Gateway.
At the end of a day the Tesla app reports about a 1/2% more each day. I am wondering this may be because Enphase reports in 15-minute intervals and Tesla at 5 minutes. Could the integration of data be the cause of that 1/2%?
Enphase insists their inverters are better than 1/2% revenue grade. Tesla is very close though.

Yes, my installer was All Energy as well! I guess I shouldn’t be surprised as they mentioned they have over 100 Powerwalls to install from summer orders! My solar was installed in July and Powerwalls in the end of Dec.

I called the phone number listed on this website, although I think if you call the Maplewood or Eden Prairie SC phone number and select Tesla Energy from the menus, you’ll end up in the same place.

Last edited:
Yes, my installer was All Energy as well! I guess I shouldn’t be surprised as they mentioned they have over 100 Powerwalls to install from summer orders! My solar was installed in July and Powerwalls in the end of Dec.

I called the phone number listed on this website, although I think if you call the Maplewood or Eden Prairie SC phone number and select Tesla Energy from the menus, you’ll end up in the same place.

Figured it might be the case since they have been catching up on Powerwall backorders. I got my panels in Sept and the Powerwalls mid January.

I have an identical issue with my Powerwalls. Starting in December my solar production has been underreported by 5kW and my house consumption has also been underreported by 5kW. The house numbers are sometimes driven to zero when the panels are producing.

I called Tesla Support, they logged into the system and noticed the house started reporting negative loads on Dec 1, immediately after a firmware update that was deployed on Nov 30. A ticket has been opened.

I have an identical issue with my Powerwalls. Starting in December my solar production has been underreported by 5kW and my house consumption has also been underreported by 5kW. The house numbers are sometimes driven to zero when the panels are producing.

I called Tesla Support, they logged into the system and noticed the house started reporting negative loads on Dec 1, immediately after a firmware update that was deployed on Nov 30. A ticket has been opened.
Don't tell me that was due to cold fusion. ;) :D

I’m having a similar problem with my recently installed PWs. I have a 5kw solaredge system that reports about 25% more solar production than what the gateway is reporting. Originally the CT was on the wrong wire which was causing all sorts of power flow issues. That was moved and the power flow issues are resolved but underreporting is a current problem. Any suggestions.