Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Discriminated and Kicked out of Ford dealer for using Level 2 charger.Owner responds on Google.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The owner could have been more polite but he was 100% within his rights on this.

I think we all need to be careful about how we are perceived. We are all lumped together and need to all own a bit of the collective reputation.

Recommend next time only hook up if needed and go the extra mile to ask/offer to pay. Let them tell you, “nah, go ahead and hook up. it’s on us”

Reactions: KSilver2000
Actually quite bored of your comments and lack of ammo.

If no one can produce a publication from a dealer on the subject. It’s just the Wild West then on what is and isn’t ok.

This doesn't sound like discrimination. It sounds like plain-old business rivalry. I'm sure you could see how a Ford dealer might not be thrilled at seeing a Tesla charging on his property with his power. Tesla threatens his business model - with no dealerships and cars that don't (theoretically) need a lot of maintenance. You can't blame somebody that feeds their children out of the proceeds of that dealership for being upset about that.

There's no "publication" to be had. It's his toy and he can share or not. I can see where you might have been upset in the moment; the guy was a bit rude to you. But, it sounds like you weren't completely in the clear there either.

In any case, if this is the biggest thing you've got to be stressed about, then you're doing great. Smile, appreciate that you can afford a 6-digit car, and move on. :)

I’m writing this at a supercharger on the way back from mother’s place. No I didn’t stop at ford again. My stress only lasted for 5 seconds after the owner ripped the cord off my car and I jumped out. Once I realized the car was ok because Tesla engineers planned for jack asses slamming the charge door on the adapter I was ok. No harm done. This is the most expensive car I ever owned so I obviously I wasn’t happy for some stranger putting their hands on it and possibly damaging the car.

I appreciate the support and criticism. This is the first time I ever started a thread on any site simply because I couldn’t find the answers I was looking for. I was hoping someone knew someone at a any car dealer that maybe had some bulletin that talked about the issue. My friends that work at dealers like another ford dealer said they don’t care less who charges and no policy exists.

I admit I miss judged the rivalry between Ford and Tesla. I knew the ceos go at it on the news but I didn’t think it would trickle down to consumers.

It’s like a Samsung phone owner can walk into a apple store and not stoned to death.

I always thought the whole dodge vs ford or Chevy was pretty dumb.

And recently on the news you hear about Tesla supercharger vandalizing and trucks ICE blocking moms from charging and rolling coal next to Teslas.

Soon this will become some soccer hooligan riot on the streets if someone catches you wearing a Tesla shirt.

I’ve owned Bmw, Acura, Honda and drove my fathers ford for a few years.

Never felt I had to be labeled to be team car maker. I’m a car enthusiast and love many cars. Once having to decide between a hummer h2 and a bmw 3 series.

Just wondering what the next 5 years are going to be like for the car business. Are we going to be booking hotels on Expedia checking filter boxes for Tesla, Ford, Toyota, Kia Chevy, dodge, Bugatti friendly charging systems.

Every car maker is designing their own battery chemistry, charging systems it’s going to interesting how this plays out.

Sorry for the long post. Simply bored at supercharger.

Owner of Weikertford.com in Lake Wales FL kicked me out for using their Level 2 charger after I had already received permission to use it from a salesperson.

While visiting my parents I decided to visit the Weikert Ford dealer in Lake Wales FL to see if any improvements had been made to the infotainment/ Navigation on the F-250. My parents had already bought two vehicles from this dealer so I thought it could help negotiate a new truck to pull the new boat.

As soon as I entered the showroom I quickly realized the tiny building looked liked it was built in the 1920's to sell Model T cars and had zero cars or space inside the showroom. Therefore, I decided against looking at cars outside as summer heat temperatures were over 100 degrees in FL. I told the salesperson that sold my mother two $80k trucks I just wanted to use the restroom and charge my car.

30 minutes later as I sit in my car charging a pointless 10miles per hour with the a/c on waiting for my mother to get out of her doctors appointment I get approached by some 40 year old. I lower the window expecting him to talk but he stares at me with his face turning red and head about to blow up. I had no choice but to say famous last words according to him "Can I help you" and just like that he said charging is for Ford cars only and ripped out the charging cable without allowing me to disengaging the system. The whole encounter lasted 5 seconds with me just having enough time to say my family will never buy a car here again. For him to then trying to get my families name which I refused to give.

I mentioned my family name on my Google review so I'm sure he's now aware my family has purchased over 20 Ford trucks for the cattle ranch in recent years from another Ford dealer to the south of Weikert Ford.

I can only explain what happened as discrimination against Tesla or my ethnicity having Spanish parents driving a expensive Model S.

Last paragraph is the response from the owner below on my google review going as far as asking me to pay to charge the car. And also saying some people don't have to pay if he likes them.

I hope my complaint reaches Ford Motor Company and they put into place policy and procedures that stop harassment and discrimination of electric vehicle owners. Luckily for me I had over 200 miles of range before I arrived at the Ford dealer. So I was able spend the rest of the day with my mother before heading back to Tesla supercharger in Orlando. I can't imagine how bad this would had been for a family that was on empty encountering this Ford dealer and getting kicked out and being stranded on the road. I travel for work and sometimes arrive early to meetings and sometimes stop at Level 2 chargers at car dealerships for no more then an hour. I've always been treated kind and respectful and even get impressed by some of the new cars they have in the showroom. So I know what happened at Weikertford.com in Lake Wales FL was complete discrimination. Other google reviews for this dealer also mention discrimination so I know I'm not the first to report it.

Response from owner Philip Weikert below from Google Reviews.

"Thank you for the review however, we would like to set the record straight. As to your first comment about being the only charger before reaching Orlando this is a bold face lie. There is a Public charger 2.6 miles closer to your destination at the Kohl's Store. Perhaps if you had politely asked if you could charge your vehicle or offered to pay you would not have had this experience. Instead your attitude and smart comment of "Can I Help You" didn't help your case either. We quite often allow people to charge their vehicles even if they are not Ford's. However, they typically are very courteous, just don't hook, and definitely don't just assume they can use someone else's power for free. I'm sure if someone pulled in your driveway and hooked up their car to your house you wouldn't be to fond of it with out your permission. As to your comment about your family buying multiple vehicles we have no record of such. We got your name off another review site since you refused to give it. For the record in the next 2 years Ford will have the most electrified car options in North America. As far as going bankrupt we are far from it. We have been in business since 1971 and thanks to our loyal customer base we have never been more financially sound. For your last comment you weren't dealing with a sales manager. You were dealing with me Philip Weikert the owner. I wish you the very best in your future endeavors but please don't try to further yourself by libeling companies.

Philip Weikert"

What a flaming a-hole you are.

• Disagree
Reactions: FlatSix911
Based on the OPs original contradictory comments and others made along the way I'm beginning to believe he was more the source of the conflict in this situation. I see and hear about these charging conflicts all the time at dealerships and more often than not it is the person charging that is the issue.

Reactions: HankLloydRight