Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Discs grinding noise

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi everyone, I’m sort of new to Tesla ownership and I’m not sure if this is a normal thing but when I’m driving it sounds like the discs are grinding a little bit like when a cars been sat stationary for a long period of time and has surface rust and you have to break a few times for it to stop but it never really stops , is that because they don’t really get used due to the regen breaking or is something up with my discs?

Thank you for an info on this , also on a side note if I’m driving and come to a stop but I’m still in drive if I turn the steering wheel side to side it make an awful creaking noise but doesn’t do it if it’s in park.

The Model 3 makes more than a few weird noises but what you are describing does not sound normal to me. I would recommend scheduling an appointment with a Tesla service center so they can check it out. Try to get some video with the noise. Best of luck.

Hi everyone, I’m sort of new to Tesla ownership and I’m not sure if this is a normal thing but when I’m driving it sounds like the discs are grinding a little bit like when a cars been sat stationary for a long period of time and has surface rust and you have to break a few times for it to stop but it never really stops , is that because they don’t really get used due to the regen breaking or is something up with my discs?

Thank you for an info on this , also on a side note if I’m driving and come to a stop but I’m still in drive if I turn the steering wheel side to side it make an awful creaking noise but doesn’t do it if it’s in park.

Grinding noise is probably rust building up on the edges of the rotor that aren't so easily removed with light braking. Probably need to do some purposeful hard stops. But I have seen where the corrosion is so bad that the grinding noise won't go away unless you resurface the rotors.

The creaking noise is probably the upper control arm ball joints that are a known weak point for losing their internal lubrication. Lots of threads, including some DIY fixes, on this problem if you do a search.

Sweaks from rust are pretty common due to the regen. Usually, just apply the break a bit and the rust will be gone.

That said, I had one of my front calipers not fully release from the rotor on the passenger side recently. Terrible screeching noise/grinding and obviously not good for the rotor or breaks. Oddly, I rebooted the car, and it fixed the problem. I have a service visit to inspect the brakes and saved my error by holding the car button. We will see what they say. I would echo if it bothers you, take it in for service as brakes are important. Even though mine is "fixed," I'm still having it inspected.

They usually clear up after doing a few, even light, braking stops for me. If it stays persistent you might have a pebble or something stuck between the rotor and the rear metal plate. You can push on the plate to see if anything falls out.

Could be the caliper guide pins... how old is your vehicle? They need to be cleaned and lubricated periodically (annually, perhaps) to ensure that the brake calipers can open and close freely... otherwise your pads get stuck against the rotors, and it usually sounds worse on turns.