Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Discussion about production Model 3 #1 (SN1)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ira, again proved he's right up there with Elon and a class act. If you haven't yet, look up Ira Ehrenpreis, Elon just tweeted Ira gifted serial #1. Ira and his firm has been investing in clean tech for longer than Tesla has been around. I was lucky to work for one of those startups funded by Ira's firm.
Just a nod to you Ira, I won't forget your commitment to our world.

I see the mobile design studio Airstream in the background. Outfit that thing for Model 3 orders and get it on the road!
I noticed that as well. Maybe that is the top secret "employees only" Mode3 configuration center. ;)

But will it be able to tow an Airstream
Since Elon stated the 3 will have towing capability, I'm sure it will be able to tow that Airstream...for about 80 miles and then you will have to charge. :cool:

It's great to see VIN001 out and about.

There goes the theory that Elon is holding off for one big "surprise" on the exterior for final reveal day (you can see in one pic the same trunk struts and cut so no changes there).

I can’t see the struts you are talking about - the only cut I see in the first photo (side view) is quite high up on the roof - almost leads me to think it is a hatchback like the Model S, but we didn’t see that in the RCs, so that might be wishful thinking.

Not being a hatchback is my only reason for not having reserved a Model 3 - still saving my pennies for an S or an X or will see what the new Nissan Leaf turns turns out to be.

I find it interesting that it's called "production" yet the car is for Elon Musk. "Production" implies that the car is sold to actual customers.
Well, if the car came off the production assembly line, has a production VIN, Elon pays for the car himself as a customer, and he registers the car at DMV for "regular" license plates, I guess it qualifies as a production car.

I can’t see the struts you are talking about - the only cut I see in the first photo (side view) is quite high up on the roof - almost leads me to think it is a hatchback like the Model S, but we didn’t see that in the RCs, so that might be wishful thinking.

Not being a hatchback is my only reason for not having reserved a Model 3 - still saving my pennies for an S or an X or will see what the new Nissan Leaf turns turns out to be.

I have had my reservation since day 1 but still haven't decided if I will get one or keep my Model S... one of the main things holding me back is that it is not a hatchback. :( I hope that changes.

I find it interesting that it's called "production" yet the car is for Elon Musk. "Production" implies that the car is sold to actual customers.
Everyone pays list price. So everyone is a "customer".
He got the #1 slot as a birthday present. He did not get the car itself as a gift.
That is my understanding as well.

Elon did not get a "free" Model 3, or even a discounted Model 3. He will pay what everyone else pays.

Can you transfer reservation slot to someone else?

I'm glad someone mentioned it because that opens up a huge can of worms.

He's claiming someone transferred ownership of the #1 spot to him. So that means who's first in line has something of value. Since it can be transferred.

So are we going to see an ebay like setup with people cashing in?

The slot is paid in full already (full price of car already paid by original buyer) so I imagine essentially it is no different than buying and gifting the car to Elon.

Not the same case with someone who didn't pay for the car yet and is trying to transfer the slot without the sales tax issues and losing the federal tax credit. I believe from another article about someone trying to sell their Model 3 reservation on Ebay, that Tesla had previously cracked down on such speculators when they found out, by canceling the order.

• Informative
Reactions: GSP
The slot is paid in full already (full price of car already paid by original buyer) so I imagine essentially it is no different than buying and gifting the car to Elon.

Not the same case with someone who didn't pay for the car yet and is trying to transfer the slot without the sales tax issues and losing the federal tax credit. I believe from another article about someone trying to sell their Model 3 reservation on Ebay, that Tesla had previously cracked down on such speculators when they found out, by canceling the order.

Yeah, I can see the case if it was paid in full. But, my understanding is you don't need to pay in full until you take delivery.

These are just pictures so I don't know if it's actually been delivered. My understanding is delivery won't happen till July 28th.

Now I know they won't allow selling the slot. But, I just found it funny. I also interpreted what was said as him giving Elon the slot, and not the car.