Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Discussion about uploading photos

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It shows up as media and it looks different when posted.

Never understood why simply posting a photo in a message is so difficult. If you click on the "image" button, it asks for a URL, hence people using sites where the images get linked to and pulled in. Why isn't there an option to simply upload an image from ones computer? Why can TMC read in the image once, then keep a stored copy on their server? Is it a bandwidth issue? This is 2017, half the people on the planet are streaming Netflix hours per day.

And no, the media library route seems pretty cumbersome. Then you have posters who have embedded smaller images that can be expanded when clicked on.

Is there a FAQ on the site that gives a very descriptive explanation of all the various ways to get images into posts, both from a computer or phone, with examples and also step by step instructions?

I got popped for $400 by Photobucket to allow all the linked images I uploaded to their site to be accessible from here. Had I known that would happen after posting hundreds of images here, I would have explored a different option. Hard to explore different options unless there is a clear explanation of exactly how things work. Of course, it's entirely possible that it is just Photobucket agenda: wait until someone has linked a web site to a few hundred photos, then inform them about the "web image hosting" fee never previously mentioned.

This is one of the things that bugs me there days. And this is coming from someone who develops software, reads technical specifications describing how devices work, and writes users manual. The lack of clear documentation is appalling. Yes, I understand that things need to be kept as simple as possible so that even non-technical users can contribute, but the details need to be available somewhere for those who want to know them.

FAQ: How can I post images to the site?

Answer: There are many ways to do this depending on blah, blah, blah, example 1, step by step instructions 1, example 2, instructions 2, blah, blah, blah.

And by the way, external websites have been known to charge large fees if you link your posts to images hosted there, which we thought we should mention because when you click the "image" icon you are asked to provide a link to the image... :rolleyes:

End rant, time for coffee...

RT

For example purposes only...
2017-08-19 (5).png
2017-08-19 (6)_LI.jpg

Reactions: tomas
Never understood why simply posting a photo in a message is so difficult. If you click on the "image" button, it asks for a URL, hence people using sites where the images get linked to and pulled in. Why isn't there an option to simply upload an image from ones computer?
Just paste an image from your computer's clipboard directly into the message. No need to click or link anything.
upload_2017-8-19_12-59-8.jpeg

• Funny
Reactions: geoffreak
Do the pictures show up now?

If you upload a photo but DON'T insert it into the message you will get the look you had, where the photos are shown as attachments, but not big nor is text written around the images.

If you insert you can either put it in as a thumbnail

Dodge Zeo Concept.jpg

or a full photo.

Dodge Zeo Concept.jpg

Either of those can be then clicked on and shown full size.

When replying to a message if there were images in the original message you will find that moving where the attachment is in the quote will either allow the thumbnail of it to show or not. Only the beginning of the quote will be shown if it's a large quote, I have moved photos above the quote just so you can see the thumbnail.

-Randy

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: CLK350
If you upload a photo but DON'T insert it into the message you will get the look you had, where the photos are shown as attachments, but not big nor is text written around the images.

If you insert you can either put it in as a thumbnail

View attachment 242478

or a full photo.

View attachment 242478

Either of those can be then clicked on and shown full size.

When replying to a message if there were images in that you will find that moving where the attachment is in the quote will either allow the thumbnail to show or not, only the beginning of the quote will be shown if it's a large quote, I have moved photos above the quote just so you can see the thumbnail.

-Randy
Hey wait....that's not a production Model 3.

Anyone know how to customize posted picture size? Like if I want to post a jpeg from an URL how do I avoid it being enromous when it could be 1/3 the size

You can download it from that URL and then upload it to the post as mentioned previously. This way if the site that has the pic on it goes away we will still be able to see it here on the thread you post to and it will automatically scale it for reading as in my previous post, but shows it full size just by clicking on the photo.

-Randy

Anyone know how to customize posted picture size? Like if I want to post a jpeg from an URL how do I avoid it being enromous when it could be 1/3 the size
Three good choices:

1. Resize locally and upload to TMC
2. Place thumbnail inline. That way only people who want to see the huge version click on the mini-image
3. Zoom out on the photo of interest, screen capture it and paste inline to your post
Tiger.jpg

Last edited: