Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Discussion : All discussion regarding Model 3 and Tax credit in model 3 subforum

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I know that the M3LR doesn’t qualify for the new US incentives because the MSRP is above $55k - and no Teslas qualify until 2023 anyway.

Surely it would be easy for Tesla to reduce the MSRP to $54,999 and unbundle some functionality we can buy later. But will they?

If not, the MY could end up cheaper than the M3LR.

Mine is due in September. The price is a little lower than today’s price, but $7.5k is nothing to sneeze at.

If I’m considering walking away from my order, I surely can’t be alone. And if Tesla were to announce that their cars would be that much cheaper next year the last 2 quarters of 2022 would be pretty ugly for them.

Hmmmm.

• Funny
Reactions: ElectricIAC
No one knows if the new EV bill will even qualify Model Y. There are many battery components questions needs to be clarified from the bill. Unless you know how model Y battery are made of and where they source from. It is hard to tell..

Starting when the tax credits kick in at the start of 2023, 40% of these minerals in the car’s battery must be mined, processed, or recycled in the US or a free-trade partner.

Reactions: MP3Mike
My understanding is that the MY is eligible, as long as it is classified as an SUV.

My dilemma is that I have a M3LR reservation that is due to be delivered Sept-Oct. It is under $55k. Will Tesla even let me delay delivery until Jan 2023, since the M3LR is battery eligible?

Well I wont qualify anyways so my advice is for all of you to push off your purchases well into 2023 so that I get mine sooner. 😁

I kid though. I probably wouldn't bother delaying because as of yet it seems no car will actually qualify as written. If you really are in no rush its probably worth to delay just to ensure you get a 2023 for resale value but its probably best to hold reservations given how long they are stretching out. Plus all of this is still only really applicable to RWD orders at this point.

Reactions: crazy150
Elon does have a track record for trying to accommodate potential buyers so they can take advantage of the $7500. It may be difficult to move production of the LFP batteries from China to the US in the next 3 months, but I believe he will do something about the Model 3 Long Range to bring it under the $ cap. If there are challenges about the battery pack for the LR Model 3, he may be able to start using the 4680 cells produced in Texas.

I know that the M3LR doesn’t qualify for the new US incentives because the MSRP is above $55k - and no Teslas qualify until 2023 anyway.

Surely it would be easy for Tesla to reduce the MSRP to $54,999 and unbundle some functionality we can buy later. But will they?

Mine is due in September. The price is a little lower than today’s price, but $7.5k is nothing to sneeze at.

If I’m considering walking away from my order, I surely can’t be alone. And if Tesla were to announce that their cars would be that much cheaper next year the last 2 quarters of 2022 would be pretty ugly for them.

Hmmmm.
Hey OP,
Not certain why you think no Tesla is under 55K. Picking up a SR Red/White Friday for $51,440.

Fed rebate won’t include cost with state taxes and registration.

That being said, it looks like no one who purchases a qualifying Tesla before Jan 1st will be eligible for the rebate.

I would not be surprised if manufacturers raise their prices, so that the rebate only lowers to the current price. Why? There is a massive demand for EV’s from Teslas wait list to the f150 lightening I saw the other day on Auto Trader going for $130k. It’s why a ton of dealers I inquired to were asking a ridiculous markup on their EVs (Ford, Hyundai, BMW). EV’s are in demand

Lithium is getting more expensive as everyone rushes to erect battery factories, so don’t be surprised if prices rise to account for a surge in demand due to the credits. It’s why I ivest in lithium, phosphate, graphite and nickel securities.

I would like to wait to see what happens with the credit, but I don’t have the luxury of waiting. I need some wheels.

No, the pack in the RWD Model 3 is made in China, so it won't qualify without significant changes.
I throw the Dice and ordered RWD since LR option is gray out and not available till 2023. Worst I can loose $250 deposit if I find some better EV option . I have a feeling some of the language might change since some outside manufacturers are crying Foul since it cut them off completely. Free trade agreement might come into play.

Hmmmm.
I think LR in 2023 will see an option below 55k . That's why they pulled it out so no one can order. They want to just finish old orders not showing the new price structure till 2023. If they show the new price it will upset those who already ordered and they might start canceling or not taking the delivery. $7500 credit with a lower entry price on LR is hard to pass on.

Reactions: Ghosty
No, the pack in the RWD Model 3 is made in China, so it won't qualify without significant changes.
Nope. Only some cars with the LFP pack are MIC, Fremont is rumored to transition to making LFP. My 3 is standard range and after looking at the vin it’s a Lithium ion, so it’s made in USA.

My 3 is standard range and after looking at the vin it’s a Lithium ion, so it’s made in USA.
What year is it? They don't make a standard range anymore. They make a RWD now. And the packs are all from China. It will likely be one to two years before there is a LFP factory in the US. CATL just announced that they are delaying they're announcement and start of construction.