Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Discussion: Can top end Horsepower be increased on Model 3P?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wow - How quickly that got off from the original topic. Given Tesla has more orders than production - they will be focused on production with the current model with very few tweaks - mostly software.

If you want a drag-strip Tesla - go order a Model S Plaid with the tri motor and/or gut your M3P of all the excess weight to improve the hp to weight ratio. Your M3P regardless will always be significantly slower than a tri-motor Model S Plain - doubt there will be a tri-motor plaid Model 3P ever built. More motors = more power - period. Especially for a production vehicle.
It actually wasn't off topic. The request is for Tesla to add a mode that explicitly heats the battery regardless of what state the car is in. That would allow the Tesla Model 3 to access the car's full potential anytime the driver felt like using it. As of right now you have to do the convoluted process to get it to heat the battery at higher States of Charge.

Now, Tesla probably won't add this feature because they can sell as many cars as they want without it. However, it would be really easy for them to add it if they really wanted to.

Wow - How quickly that got off from the original topic. Given Tesla has more orders than production - they will be focused on production with the current model with very few tweaks - mostly software.

If you want a drag-strip Tesla - go order a Model S Plaid with the tri motor and/or gut your M3P of all the excess weight to improve the hp to weight ratio. Your M3P regardless will always be significantly slower than a tri-motor Model S Plain - doubt there will be a tri-motor plaid Model 3P ever built. More motors = more power - period. Especially for a production vehicle.

Yeah, kinda my fault. I specifically should have ignored his posts, but some of them are so blatantly wrong it's hard not to. I'll just throw him on the ignore list and not worry about it moving forward.

Yeah, kinda my fault. I specifically should have ignored his posts, but some of them are so blatantly wrong it's hard not to. I'll just throw him on the ignore list and not worry about it moving forward.
but nothing is really incorrect here. precondition for SC does add more heat and available output power to the batteries, basically same as on the classic P85D precondition setting

but nothing is really incorrect here. precondition for SC does add more heat and available output power to the batteries, basically same as on the classic P85D precondition setting

It doesn't add peak power unless the battery pack is physically cold. It just changes the speed of discharge. There is zero HP difference between 95 degrees and 115 degrees.

Years ago I ran tests from 75 degrees all the way to 125, every 10 degrees and there was no consistent difference between peak output anywhere from 85 degrees to 125.

It doesn't add peak power unless the battery pack is physically cold. It just changes the speed of discharge. There is zero HP difference between 95 degrees and 115 degrees.

Years ago I ran tests from 75 degrees all the way to 125, every 10 degrees and there was no consistent difference between peak output anywhere from 85 degrees to 125.
You are right Peak output is largely the same. The first half of the horsepower curve where peak torque starts to drop off is largely unchanged with regard to temperature. It is above that peak torque drop-off where power varies dramatically as the "max discharge" value increases.

Just look at this graph. Below ~43 mph everything is essentially the same. Above 43 mph you start to see how much the preconditioning affects the HP and thereby the trap speed. If you were basing everything off of max Torque then you won't see a difference. However, there is a significant difference once peak torque starts to drop off which is where all of your top end acceleration occurs.

Final Dyno Graph.jpg

It actually wasn't off topic. The request is for Tesla to add a mode that explicitly heats the battery regardless of what state the car is in. That would allow the Tesla Model 3 to access the car's full potential anytime the driver felt like using it. As of right now you have to do the convoluted process to get it to heat the battery at higher States of Charge.

Now, Tesla probably won't add this feature because they can sell as many cars as they want without it. However, it would be really easy for them to add it if they really wanted to.
The likely hood of Tesla added that feature is similar to me will the Powerball. 1st, not a lot of people need or want it. 2nd, you don't know what long term effects it will have on batteries, motors and other parts. Recall, Tesla has a warranty on these critical items.

Who doesn't want more power, but with more power should be significantly better brakes and summer tires to haul that mass down in a safe distance & manner.

All this supercharging to 100%, discharging, then charging again, cycling in temperature and SOC is not good for the battery. It's an academic exercise at best. I think we can all agree that there is a battery temperature and SOC that will generate the most output. It kind of misses the point of the original question however -- it wasn't about how to operate the vehicle in a condition that squeezes every last hp out of the existing design. It was a bigger picture question.

From Tesla's perspective, they added top end power to their vehicles with the Plaid powertrain, which basically has a motor architecture designed for high revving. It has less back EMF at high speeds and better top end power.

The likely hood of Tesla added that feature is similar to me will the Powerball. 1st, not a lot of people need or want it. 2nd, you don't know what long term effects it will have on batteries, motors and other parts. Recall, Tesla has a warranty on these critical items.

Who doesn't want more power, but with more power should be significantly better brakes and summer tires to haul that mass down in a safe distance & manner.
They offer that feature on other vehicles. However, I do agree that they probably won’t add it to the Model 3.

This isn’t really adding more power to the car either. It is just utilizing all of the power that is available already. You can manually unlock it or it would be nice if Tesla would provide us an automatic option instead.

Reactions: XPsionic
All this supercharging to 100%, discharging, then charging again, cycling in temperature and SOC is not good for the battery. It's an academic exercise at best.

Tesla added top end power to the vehicles with the Plaid powertrain, which basically has a motor designed for less back EMF at high speeds and better top end power.
It certainly isn’t ideal for battery life but it is probably less detrimental than supercharging everyday. After all, the process is basically “Prepare for supercharging but trickle charge instead”.

From Tesla's perspective, they added top end power to their vehicles with the Plaid powertrain, which basically has a motor architecture designed for high revving. It has less back EMF at high speeds and better top end power.
That laminate redesign that Sandy showed in his video + the rewiring of the battery pack with more in parallel iirc are the two major differences. Will Tesla rewire a M3P battery pack, more than likely not. Then we're at, how much different would the upgraded motor be on the existing battery? This is one of those things that not a single person outside of Tesla knows what will happen, until Tesla leaks their intent.