Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Discussion for a collaborative Retail proposal for Annual Meeting 2023?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A strong, independent person holds their own opinions.
A wise one knows when to keep them to themselves.

I continue to be disappointed in Elon- and yes I know it's Elon- and possibly more so by the board that more wisdom isn't being exercised especially in light of the fact this is a PUBLICLY traded company. That has benefits, but it also has responsibilities.

That's what I posted in the general discussion thread that inspired me to start this one. However, I feel a collaborative effort would be far more likely to bear positive fruit.
If you have any suggests or would like to take the lead, I personally feel inadequate to the task.

If you feel it's a bad idea, please respectfully point out why.

This is not caring about Tesla, or Elon, or the Mission of Tesla. Just the opposite- holding accountable is a sign of concern, affection, and maturity.

I am an incredibly small owner of this company, but the principal applies the same regardless.

I feel that as of late there has been a distinct lack of wisdom, maturity, and prudence exercised by our corporate leadership and would like to see an improvement.

• Disagree
Reactions: ElectricIAC
Don't disagree with the thought.

But don't think it will go far. You might as well just ask for Musk to resign as CEO.

Putting some kind of weird gag order on the CEO is almost unprecedented. I know, Musk is unprecedented... but still.

Don't disagree with the thought.

But don't think it will go far. You might as well just ask for Musk to resign as CEO.

Putting some kind of weird gag order on the CEO is almost unprecedented. I know, Musk is unprecedented... but still.
Just because I'd better say this before someone twists what I'm saying:

In many ways I believe Elon has done a superlative job as CEO. When I see arguments about "founder" status I laugh at how asinine they are because it is self evident that Tesla survived and is where it is today with him as the primary, but hardly the only, person who got it there.

That doesn't grant a blank check. Nothing should grant a blank check. In fact, I have no doubt that if anyone else acted in such a way to the detriment of the mission Elon would fire them immediately. I have zero interest in replacing him as CEO. I just want to see him be a BETTER CEO who puts the mission of the company first, even above his own desires. A fiduciary interest.

(Note: I actually agree with Elon on many of the social opinions he has expressed: that is not the point!)

I drive for a living and have had multiple people tell me now they'd never buy a Tesla because of Elon. This is a random sampling of people with the means whose only correlation is going wine tasting. Anecdotal? Absolutely- but based on what is being said online and the concern many others have expressed in hurting the Brand I don't think an Ostrich mentality is the best one here.

• Funny
Damaging the share price, particularly to the extent it has been damaged, puts the mission at risk and thus damages it. What would you accept as valid evidence of damage to the mission?
What is the mission?

Share price isn't part of it.

"The extent it has been damaged" by Musk's chatter is infinitely debatable when it's been a very rocky year for a lot of companies and when Tesla's gotten a few very nasty lumps in the head due to other things (China COVID shutdown, economic troubles, etc).

To accelerate the world's transition to sustainable energy.

All members of the Tesla board have a fiduciary responsibility to that mission. We voted for one of the most significant compensation packages in the history of humanity. I don't think holding someone's personal behavior to account who received it is in any way unreasonable.

And… how is this slowing the transition? Tesla’s production has not been reduced at all. They are still selling every car they produce.

That a few people aren’t buying right this moment isn’t material. They will come back around later.

Regardless. I would love if Musk would be more disciplined in his public speech. Often it’s cringe-worthy.

I just don’t see this idea of a sort of gag-order being proposed to have any merit. You don’t put gag orders on employees unless you are willing to fire them. If the board were willing to fire Musk for his speech they already would have.

And… how is this slowing the transition? Tesla’s production has not been reduced at all. They are still selling every car they produce.

That a few people aren’t buying right this moment isn’t material. They will come back around later.

Regardless. I would love if Musk would be more disciplined in his public speech. Often it’s cringe-worthy.

I just don’t see this idea of a sort of gag-order being proposed to have any merit. You don’t put gag orders on employees unless you are willing to fire them. If the board were willing to fire Musk for his speech they already would have.
Goal post moving. Handwaving. Dismissing. Etc. All very common argumentative tactics on these boards.

• Disagree
Reactions: KBF
Genius. Rather than talk about basic stuff or defend your theory you drop right to the nonsense and ad-hominem.
You refer to the "mission" in your post and then ask what the mission is when I referred to the mission. That seems a bit disingenuous. And you still haven't answered my question about what evidence you would accept. So that's why I criticized your argumentation.