Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Discussion: Hertz orders 100,000 Model 3's

Pianewman

Oct 28, 2020
Fort Worth
"Like" this? Thumbs up?

Hmm....it's WAY too early in the EV game for rental car companies to go mainstream with EVs. In my opinion, of course. The perceived ICE vs. EV learning curve for the average driver is too steep.

I guess they'll be charging a premium for Tesla rental, which might mitigate the problem. They'll need to keep them in chill mode, as well...(YIKES!)

I wonder if they're going to get a special "hertz edition"? Hopefully in yellow :D

yellow-tesla-model-3_side-view.jpg

Don’t agree on the too early to go mainstream with EVs part. IMO the ability to try an EV as a rental and understand how good it is as those of us who own one have, is a major step to widespread adoption of EVs. Further it will pressure governments to accelerate charging infrastructure. All good.

Hope you are not right about Chill mode but that I could see happening in a rental.

"Like" this? Thumbs up?

Hmm....it's WAY too early in the EV game for rental car companies to go mainstream with EVs. In my opinion, of course. The perceived ICE vs. EV learning curve for the average driver is too steep.

I guess they'll be charging a premium for Tesla rental, which might mitigate the problem. They'll need to keep them in chill mode, as well...(YIKES!)
Response above.

Knightshade

Jul 31, 2017
NC
"Like" this? Thumbs up?

These will be SR+ vehicles. Their acceleration is slower than a number of performance ICE vehicles Hertz has been renting for decades.

Not seeing the cause for your concern.

TexasTezla

Feb 28, 2020
Texas
I wish they were buying a mix of SR+ and AWD. Don't know when I'll feel comfortable traveling again but when I do the only time I'd want to rent a car is if I'm going to drive long distances and I wouldn't want to do that with an SR+, if I'm staying in a city I'd rather just Uber or take taxis.
An SR+ will be no problem for most long distance driving. You'll still get 150-180 miles highway. Now, I wouldn't take it into deepest Wyoming or New Mexico but no problems for California, Texas, East coast etc.

bjrosen

Apr 19, 2019
Westford MA
An SR+ will be no problem for most long distance driving. You'll still get 150-180 miles highway. Now, I wouldn't take it into deepest Wyoming or New Mexico but no problems for California, Texas, East coast etc.
It's not about getting from point A to point B, it's about flexibility in the journey. Even with the AWD you have to plan your Supercharger stops and you can't deviate because Superchargers are too far apart. For example yesterday we went to North Conway NH in my AWD, we wanted to double back to an interesting location but I couldn't do it because I would have been cutting it too close, that was with the AWD, the SR+ wouldn't have worked for that trip at all. If there was a Supercharger every 15 miles it wouldn't be a problem but the spacing is currently around 60 miles and that's too far.

TexasTezla

Feb 28, 2020
Texas
It's not about getting from point A to point B, it's about flexibility in the journey. Even with the AWD you have to plan your Supercharger stops and you can't deviate because Superchargers are too far apart. For example yesterday we went to North Conway NH in my AWD, we wanted to double back to an interesting location but I couldn't do it because I would have been cutting it too close, that was with the AWD, the SR+ wouldn't have worked for that trip at all. If there was a Supercharger every 15 miles it wouldn't be a problem but the spacing is currently around 60 miles and that's too far.
Supercharger network is getting bigger and bigger every day...you'll be fine by the time these cars are available! Have faith!

CapeOne

Jun 14, 2016
New England
Although it is certainly a way to get more attention/exposure for the brand (and obviously revenue and profit), I am kind of disappointed that Tesla is resorting to rental sales at this point if retail demand is still strong. Too many fleet/rental sales can hurt brand resale values (and image) especially when ex-rentals start to hit the market in large numbers.

Most other automakers rely on fleet/rental sales to some degree so I suppose it was inevitable that Tesla eventually would as well.

Two-rocks

New England IPA
Jan 18, 2021
gone
The North Conway situation is an outlier - and will be fixed with the supercharger currently under construction.
Having spent a great deal of time in NH, you also have to find fuel stations open in the middle of the night (sometimes).

TexasTezla

Feb 28, 2020
Texas
Although it is certainly a way to get more attention/exposure for the brand (and obviously revenue and profit), I am kind of disappointed that Tesla is resorting to rental sales at this point if retail demand is still strong. Too many fleet/rental sales can hurt brand resale values (and image) especially when ex-rentals start to hit the market in large numbers.

Most other automakers rely on fleet/rental sales to some degree so I suppose it was inevitable that Tesla eventually would as well.
I wonder if they will hit the used car market? Perhaps these will be part of the robotaxi network ;-)

Knightshade

Jul 31, 2017
NC

Tesla appears to be selling at full price.

Something the legacy companies don't do- they offer deep discounts typically just to get sales.

Plus, of course, this is tons of free advertising for Tesla, and most importantly tons of new people who maybe wouldn't have considered an EV get to try one out as a rental.

It's pretty rare I'd be renting a sport sedan for a long road trip where I need to do 300+ miles each day for multiple days so not really seeing the issue with charging.

Most rentals are driven something like 75-100 miles a day IIRC... SR+ is fine for that without the rental company paying a bunch more $ for the vehicles or worrying about them being too quick.

bjrosen

Apr 19, 2019
Westford MA
Tesla appears to be selling at full price.

Something the legacy companies don't do- they offer deep discounts typically just to get sales.

Plus, of course, this is tons of free advertising for Tesla, and most importantly tons of new people who maybe wouldn't have considered an EV get to try one out as a rental.

It's pretty rare I'd be renting a sport sedan for a long road trip where I need to do 300+ miles each day for multiple days so not really seeing the issue with charging.

Most rentals are driven something like 75-100 miles a day IIRC... SR+ is fine for that without the rental company paying a bunch more $ for the vehicles or worrying about them being too quick.
I only rent for road trips, we once did 2000 miles in one week when we went to Santa Fe. If I'm going to a city I prefer to use Uber or cabs, not rent a car, because you don't have to worry about parking. For something like a short business trip to Silicon Valley the SR+ would be fine but in years past when I'd spend a month out there at a time I would have needed a LR car, had they existed at the time, because on weekends I'd go to Napa or Pinacles and those trips are a long distance, but I'll concede because it's CA where there are Superchargers on every corner it might work. But not in the other 49 states. The rate of Supercharger expansion has been glacial. Bar Harbor Maine has been pending for four years, supposedly it's going to finally happen this year but so far nothing is happening. Rhode Island has a single Supercharger stop for the entire state, a second has been planned for the Newport area but it's been pending for several years and it still doesn't have a date. There is nothing planned in North Western Mass, the Tanglewood area to the South is fine but nothing on the Northern side of the state or in the nearby Bennington area of Vermont.

You have to take the real range of the car into account not the paper range that it has on day one. My 2019 AWD has a max range of 280 miles now, not sure if it was ever the 310 they promised but it's 280 now. Charging to 90% that's only 250 which realistically means 200 because you never want to cut it too close. Then there is temperature to take into account. I drive with a light foot so I normally exceed the EPA efficiency, I've averaged 228Wh/mile over the last 9000 miles, but on Saturday when we went to NH it was 55 degrees so my efficiency was terrible.

Reactions: msm859

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC