Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Discussion: HW.4 Suite - Availability, retrofit, suitability etc.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I dont know if this info is actually accurate, but i saw a tech website in my own native language put out an article that basically said that it was expected that in about October 2024 Tesla would release a new Tesla Model Y, with changed exteriour and interior.

Nothing specific was said about whether it was a facelift og a "completely new" car.

If this info is accurate, i would imagine that this will be the time for Tesla to switch to HW4.0, for what would essentially be the 2025 Model Year of MY.

Reactions: DrGriz
HW4 is just the next step in computational power. No different than a computer getting better every year or every other year. It is to be expected, but it certainly isn't anything worth getting excited about until FSD actually materializes into something that is useful to the average driver.

Funny how the speculation and what people thought would happen was wrong.

Reactions: Yelobird
HW4 is just the next step in computational power. No different than a computer getting better every year or every other year. It is to be expected, but it certainly isn't anything worth getting excited about until FSD actually materializes into something that is useful to the average driver.

Funny how the speculation and what people thought would happen was wrong.
Yeah and those waiting for HW4, might be sad, when the FSD is going to require HW5 to actually have enough camera's / sensors / computing power to work semi-reliably.

I am not going to lose any sleep over having ordered a car that is going to be delivered with HW3, unless the price for these packages are going to be lowered considerably i am not seeing myself buying them any time soon.

The NOA package right now is full price, even if 3/5 of the functions that is advertised are disabled, and the FSD is not anywhere near being "Full Self Drive" the only thing i would gain from buying the FSD, over the NOA package right now, according to Tesla website is "Auto Stop at red light" and "NOA in cities....Coming sometime in the future, maybe"..

IF they get some of that stuff working, and it needs a newer HW and so on, i will decide on buying a new Tesla and selling the old one at that point, no need to wait forever for "the next great thing"

I am a bit miffed about the removal of Radar and i still hope it will be possible to have it retrofitted at a reasonable price in the future, we have multiple days here where there is fog, and the camera can not see through fog like the radar can.

Reactions: MARKM3
Is it possible in the next 2, 3 years Tesla will produce a new HWx that has equivalent capability of HW4 to retrofit cars having HW3? I am saying this because computer components will get smaller and will be more efficient over time.

Is it possible in the next 2, 3 years Tesla will produce a new HWx that has equivalent capability of HW4 to retrofit cars having HW3? I am saying this because computer components will get smaller and will be more efficient over time.
Why would Tesla make a future HW version available to retrofit in older cars? There are other differences than the dimensions of the HW3 vs HW4, cooling, sensors and associated wiring.

Kinda like expecting Apple to update the internals on an iPhone, no chance. You can hope all you want, but it's not going to happen with Tesla either.

Why would Tesla make a future HW version available to retrofit in older cars? There are other differences than the dimensions of the HW3 vs HW4, cooling, sensors and associated wiring.

Kinda like expecting Apple to update the internals on an iPhone, no chance. You can hope all you want, but it's not going to happen with Tesla either.
Dimensions and other technical difficulties will become less relevant because the components can get smaller, consume less power and can be packed together. FSD hardware components are external circuit boards and external cameras, not internal built-in components in a cellphone. Tesla might do that if it helps simplify the FSD software and collect more money from customers.

Last edited:
Dimensions and other technical difficulties will become less relevant because the components can get smaller, consume less power and can be packed together. FSD hardware components are external circuit boards and external cameras, not internal built-in components in a cellphone. Tesla might do that if it helps simplify the FSD software and collect more money from customers.
They did offer retrofitting older cars to HW3 but from everything seen online, it seems like HW4 will not be included in this. I would say a comparable comparison would be putting HW3 on a AP1 car. It’s just something that won’t happen. That’s just what I think though and we won’t know until there are more details out about HW4. Also Elon said its older cars will not be able to be retrofitted but knowing Elon that can always change.

They did offer retrofitting older cars to HW3 but from everything seen online, it seems like HW4 will not be included in this. I would say a comparable comparison would be putting HW3 on a AP1 car. It’s just something that won’t happen. That’s just what I think though and we won’t know until there are more details out about HW4. Also Elon said it olders cars will not be able to be retrofitted but knowing Elon that can always change.
I know that HW4 will not be used to replace HW3. I am saying in the next 2 or 3 years when hardware components are smaller and more efficient they can make something that has the capability of the HW4.

I know that HW4 will not be used to replace HW3. I am saying in the next 2 or 3 years when hardware components are smaller and more efficient they can make something that has the capability of the HW4.
ATM Elon is watching the FSD/Robotaxis class action suit. If it gains traction, one option might be for Tesla to offer a 3.5 retrofit. As others have said here, in the future the processing boards could be shrunk in size, making a retrofit plausible. If the suit flounders, there's no chance of a retrofit.

Anything is possible! I think HW3 will fulfill many of the requirements from their previous statements on FSD etc. (since it’s really only L2 and to get to L5 we will probably be on HW6 or later lol). But that being said, I would think they will likely just start phasing out older cars with time instead of retrofitting just because that will make new and existing customers get new cars. Phasing out meaning still supporting but similar to pre 2016.5 Model S’s.

Huh? They’re certainly internal built components in a Tesla. And you conveniently ignored the issues with cooling, additional sensors and associated wiring. HW4 with the same sensor suite as todays Model Y wouldn’t change much. And I’m curious, you’re happy to pay whatever it costs to upgrade?

Huh? They’re certainly internal built components in a Tesla. And you conveniently ignored the issues with cooling, additional sensors and associated wiring. HW4 with the same sensor suite as todays Model Y wouldn’t change much. And I’m curious, you’re happy to pay whatever it costs to upgrade?
I am discussing the feasibility of building a different set of HW components that can have the capability of HW4 in the future when it's possible, not now. We don't know for sure whether cooling, sensors, and wiring have to be as the same as the ones used in HW4. Whether I want to upgrade or not is irrelevant.

I am discussing the feasibility of building a different set of HW components that can have the capability of HW4 in the future when it's possible, not now. We don't know for sure whether cooling, sensors, and wiring have to be as the same as the ones used in HW4. Whether I want to upgrade or not is irrelevant.
Of course it’s possible, but not feasible. No one has any incentive to do it, especially to conform with an older cooling and sensor format. But knock yourself out…

While anything feasible is possible, not everything that is possible is feasible. If a plan is feasible, it is not only possible but realistic and practical.

Most of the time, the cost to retrofit would be more than the losses from selling your current car and buying a new.

The earlier retrofit options as far as i understand, was to enable people to buy the FSD.

If they can get people to buy FSD, then it might be worth it to develop a retrofit upgrade, but since HW4 seems to also include the camera's it might be too involving.

But if they offer a FSD package with FSD and a HW4.0 upgrade, including the camera's it might make some people go for that instead of having to sell their current car and buy a new one.

But it all depends on the money, if people would pay, they will make it.

But then again, if HW4.0 is only introduced in a few years, i don't think a lot of people would pay "a lot" of money to retrofit this to their, maybe 5 year old Tesla.

I would probably opt for the "Sell current car, buy new car" option at that point anyway.

Not that i think any Model Y, will be truly FSD in the next 5 years anyway.

Reactions: Npate2
So glad I'm happy with basic Auto Pilot for my current use cases. But being 70 I can see some future date when FSD would make driving a safer experience and extend my driving a vehicle.

As of today, the only FSD feature I want is Auto Lane change. I wish Tesla would offer that as a "stand-alone" option. I'd gladly pay for that knowing it's not transferable to my next Tesla.

So glad I'm happy with basic Auto Pilot for my current use cases. But being 70 I can see some future date when FSD would make driving a safer experience and extend my driving a vehicle.

As of today, the only FSD feature I want is Auto Lane change. I wish Tesla would offer that as a "stand-alone" option. I'd gladly pay for that knowing it's not transferable to my next Tesla.
Ironically, in a way, Tesla does offer AutoLane Change as a stand-alone option to non-USS cars in the way of the EAP package as almost everything else is disabled in that package ;)

Ironically, in a way, Tesla does offer AutoLane Change as a stand-alone option to non-USS cars in the way of the EAP package as almost everything else is disabled in that package ;)
Yeah, it is rather incredible that they still (Atleast on the Danish Tesla site) want to sell the "small package" and then 60% of the functions you get with that package is not working right now, but "May be included in the future".

Truly unbelievable that they‘re actively pulling this stunt but comes as no surprise based off of what I have read over the years. Glad I did my due diligence and removed EAP from my build in time without being penalized for it. I still can’t believe a $60K car like the MYP ships with no USS.

Can someone generally quantify how much different (worse) parking is on cars without USS now? I won’t cancel my order at this point but just curious to know.

Truly unbelievable that they‘re actively pulling this stunt but comes as no surprise based off of what I have read over the years. Glad I did my due diligence and removed EAP from my build in time without being penalized for it. I still can’t believe a $60K car like the MYP ships with no USS.

Can someone generally quantify how much different (worse) parking is on cars without USS now? I won’t cancel my order at this point but just curious to know.
To be fair, I only rely on the backup cameras on my Q3 to show me how close I am to something. The USS beeps like crazy but I always find myself saying “no way I’m that close, just a little more” while I watch my spacing in the camera.

The front USS are a little more helpful but I know the length of my car down the hood and rely more on my sight than the incessant beeping.

That’s not to say that Teslas shouldn’t have USS. They should. But I don’t know that I’ll actually miss it at all.

Reactions: tm3lrawd