Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Discussion: HW.4 Suite - Availability, retrofit, suitability etc.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Truly unbelievable that they‘re actively pulling this stunt but comes as no surprise based off of what I have read over the years. Glad I did my due diligence and removed EAP from my build in time without being penalized for it. I still can’t believe a $60K car like the MYP ships with no USS.

Can someone generally quantify how much different (worse) parking is on cars without USS now? I won’t cancel my order at this point but just curious to know.
I have the same view as the previous poster. The USS beeps like crazy and I'm never actually hitting anything. I have the beep turned off and rarely glance at the lines on the car graphic. The only thing I use the USS for is to back into my garage to the perfect distance so that the garage door will clear the front bumper. But really I could do that a million other ways if I didn't use the USS.

I still think Tesla should have USS and it can be useful but I've never had a car with USS until this one and I could easily deal without it. YMMV.

Quantify? Well ... it is 100% ok to park a car without USS. But only if you've taken driver's ed and have the skills. The driver behind the wheel is in control.
This is true in some regards but vehicle’s like Tesla have curvy/slanted front ends and poor rear window visibility. With more drivers on the road and speeding through parking lots, sensor warnings have become more necessary. 20+yrs. ago vehicles were more squared off, with bigger rear windows(not all) but most, also less vehicles on the road and generally better and less distracted drivers. Vehicles today are safer because of better body strength and safety features. You can be the best driver in the World but if you have noticed, most are horrible and not paying attention.

Reactions: RCDriver23
This is true in some regards but vehicle’s like Tesla have curvy/slanted front ends and poor rear window visibility. With more drivers on the road and speeding through parking lots, sensor warnings have become more necessary. 20+yrs. ago vehicles were more squared off, with bigger rear windows(not all) but most, also less vehicles on the road and generally better and less distracted drivers. Vehicles today are safer because of better body strength and safety features. You can be the best driver in the World but if you have noticed, most are horrible and not paying attention.
I think rear side facing radars for Cross traffic alert and better blind spot monitoring would be much more beneficial than USS sensors.

Reactions: WyoDude and GoVols!
I have an order in, but I already have a car I can keep as long as necessary, so I expect to cancel if I’m notified my car is available unless it’s with HW4 w additional sensors. It’s my understanding that it may be end of 2023 before they’re delivering MY’s with HW4 with more/better cameras and HD radar. I realize the price will most likely go up between now and my Jan order, but I can’t imagine settling for an HW3 with no radar, no USS and the older cameras. I am the only one?

I have an order in, but I already have a car I can keep as long as necessary, so I expect to cancel if I’m notified my car is available unless it’s with HW4 w additional sensors. It’s my understanding that it may be end of 2023 before they’re delivering MY’s with HW4 with more/better cameras and HD radar. I realize the price will most likely go up between now and my Jan order, but I can’t imagine settling for an HW3 with no radar, no USS and the older cameras. I am the only one?
I'm personally holding on to my 2020 LR until HW4 and more cameras + radar is available. Very happy I didn't join the trade-in craziness when values were super high, or the drastically lowered price in January. I'm hoping early 2024 is when we really see an improved MY that will be worth the upgrade.

Reactions: GoVols! and Midpack
It's not a good time to buy if your financing unless you absolutely need to. I have to say though I don't like the lack of USS one bit. The transition has and is being poorly executed by Tesla.

Reactions: GoVols! and AJ..
It's not a good time to buy if your financing unless you absolutely need to. I have to say though I don't like the lack of USS one bit. The transition has and is being poorly executed by Tesla.
I don’t think interest rates will improve anytime soon, could be (many) years. IOW waiting won’t help those financing a car for a long time IMO.

I don’t think interest rates will improve anytime soon, could be (many) years. IOW waiting won’t help those financing a car for a long time IMO.
It's hard to say. I think we will see the return of special financing, lease subsidies, and MFR incentives though not sure what we will see from Tesla. I think demand has to slow more before we see a lot of that.

Even so I wouldn't advise to buy now due to interest rates and the situation with USS removal. To each their own though.

Reactions: GoVols!
I am in a similar situation as you. I am approaching the point of a car upgrade, but I could probably hold off for several months if not a year. I am expecting delivery of a MYLR in the next 2 months or so. Even though I will most likely miss out on HW4 , I am still going to get the car since I locked in the discount price. I think I would be happy with the car as is without USS or radar. I'm not going to get EAP or FSD. My only hesitation is the lack of park assist until Tesla Vision is rolled out. My fear is that if I wait, prices will almost certainly increase. I don't know if the extra features are worth an extra $5-10K for me. Also, who knows when the new radar, cameras, processor, etc will come to Model Y? It may be as late as the end of 2024 when the refresh is expected. I'm not willing to wait that long. I guess I'd be happy with the car as is at the discounted price. Any OTA updates that enhance the driving experience would be welcome but not expected bonuses.

Reactions: Midpack
I am in a similar situation as you. I am approaching the point of a car upgrade, but I could probably hold off for several months if not a year. I am expecting delivery of a MYLR in the next 2 months or so. Even though I will most likely miss out on HW4 , I am still going to get the car since I locked in the discount price. I think I would be happy with the car as is without USS or radar. I'm not going to get EAP or FSD. My only hesitation is the lack of park assist until Tesla Vision is rolled out. My fear is that if I wait, prices will almost certainly increase. I don't know if the extra features are worth an extra $5-10K for me. Also, who knows when the new radar, cameras, processor, etc will come to Model Y? It may be as late as the end of 2024 when the refresh is expected. I'm not willing to wait that long. I guess I'd be happy with the car as is at the discounted price. Any OTA updates that enhance the driving experience would be welcome but not expected bonuses.
Agree with all of this. I hope we get some idea what to expect for MY HW4 w more better sensors as they roll out on S/X (already happening) - but who knows. I’m basing end of 2023 for MY HW4 w sensor upgrade on Teslascope, but I realize that’s not a lock. I‘m not planning in EAP or FSD either, but I’d like the option at a later date. Like you, I’m not waiting until end of 2024. Mine isn’t supposed to be available until late Apr-early May, so I’ll decide when the time comes.

Last edited:
Reactions: RCDriver23
Can someone generally quantify how much different (worse) parking is on cars without USS now? I won’t cancel my order at this point but just curious to know.
Pulling forward into a tight parking space is like parking blind. If I can see the space I'm pulling into ahead of time - I sometimes back up to look again - then I can gauge where to stop. That requires a little space along the driver's side to get a visual clue. But it's nervous making.

The rest is fine. Parking outdoors in standard parking spots is easy, and I don't pull as far forward so I'll never scrape the front of my car. I'm starting to reverse park and the cameras are very good there. I also use the cameras to check if I'm centered in the parking spot. 😎

When pulling into my garage I turn on the cameras so I can see where I've pulled in with enough clearance to close the garage door behind me. There's a nice dark line where my garage floor starts. Very helpful. Note that the visualization flickers the image of a truck instead of the door into my house. Otherwise it shows nothing. It once flickered the image of a human where a light pole was.

I don't parallel park much but that's another parking blind situation. Again, if I had to do this every day I'd learn visual clues.

I'll add that I am gobsmacked that Tesla is selling cars without these sensors - AND they aren't adding them back. They aren't fixing this issue. Radar will not restore this feature. Is anyone aware of a class-action specifically for the USS removal?

Reactions: Vaticous
I'll add that I am gobsmacked that Tesla is selling cars without these sensors
Kids these days! I use to ride my bike uphill both ways to school. Now they have fancy 'lectric bikes .... no pedaling.

We have a 2015 Honda Crosstour. No USS and parking is no problem using the eyes as sensors.

If thats still not good enough you can go old school.
Screenshot_20230314_120100_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:
Cute… but you’re missing the point. I’ve seen this image before so the issue is going around and around.

Kids these days! I use to ride my bike uphill both ways to school. Now they have fancy 'lectric bikes .... no pedaling.

We have a 2015 Honda Crosstour. No USS and parking is no problem using the eyes as sensors.

If thats still not good enough you can go old school. View attachment 917516

Pulling forward into a tight parking space is like parking blind. If I can see the space I'm pulling into ahead of time - I sometimes back up to look again - then I can gauge where to stop. That requires a little space along the driver's side to get a visual clue. But it's nervous making.

The rest is fine. Parking outdoors in standard parking spots is easy, and I don't pull as far forward so I'll never scrape the front of my car. I'm starting to reverse park and the cameras are very good there. I also use the cameras to check if I'm centered in the parking spot. 😎

When pulling into my garage I turn on the cameras so I can see where I've pulled in with enough clearance to close the garage door behind me. There's a nice dark line where my garage floor starts. Very helpful. Note that the visualization flickers the image of a truck instead of the door into my house. Otherwise it shows nothing. It once flickered the image of a human where a light pole was.

I don't parallel park much but that's another parking blind situation. Again, if I had to do this every day I'd learn visual clues.

I'll add that I am gobsmacked that Tesla is selling cars without these sensors - AND they aren't adding them back. They aren't fixing this issue. Radar will not restore this feature. Is anyone aware of a class-action specifically for the USS removal?
Thanks for this. I hardly ever park nose-in, so thankfully, that is mostly a non-issue for me, except driving in tighter parking lots/garages/etc. One of the biggest reasons I am so bummed about USS being removed is because I tap on the parking sensors button in my current car when pulling in and out of places with curbs to let me know my wheels are near them. Otherwise, those blind spots are guaranteed to cause curb rash at some point or another with the absence of parking sensors