Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Discussion: HW.4 Suite - Availability, retrofit, suitability etc.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've lost faith in Tesla in solving ADAS/FSD issues.

It's nice that Tesla now has labeled one of It's phantom brakes with a message on the instrument panel that it purposely slows down because it sees First Responder flashing light. The issues were: I was on the very left lane out of 5 lane freeway and I saw no flashing lights anywhere and no First Responder vehicles when it did that.

Waymo has solved these issues for years. Tesla needs to hire Waymo if you want to have hope that Tesla can solve these issues in your lifetime.

At this pace, HW 2, 2.5, 3.0, and upcoming 4.0 won't help.
My limited understanding is while Waymo has "solved' some of these issues, they've done so via techniques that are not going to scale for the masses. Requiring detailed 3D maps that need to be constructed (and subjected to change in the real world) and requiring specialized and expensive sensors like lidars. i've heard like in arizona, waymo is geofenced only to the areas that they've mapped out.

but agree, i wouldn't hold one's breath waiting for tesla to solve the FSD issues. i'm enjoying my tesla for what it is and didn't buy it for the FSD experience.

My limited understanding is while Waymo has "solved' some of these issues, they've done so via techniques that are not going to scale for the masses. Requiring detailed 3D maps that need to be constructed (and subjected to change in the real world) and requiring specialized and expensive sensors like lidars. i've heard like in arizona, waymo is geofenced only to the areas that they've mapped out.

I agree the Waymo cars are currently expensive, complicated with the map requirements and limited use due to things like geo fencing.

However I DO think this could scale.

LiDAR units have been scaled to small inexpensive units. They’re currently not mainstream but do exist.

3D maps can be built up over time. Potentially by owners cars themselves. Cars would capture the data while driving around and it can be offloaded to corporate servers when connected to Wi-Fi or when cars go in for service. If every Tesla currently on the road had multiple LiDAR units and offloaded the data back to Tesla just think what we would have already. I’m not saying it’s practical just an example.

Geofencing is workable as it can be expanded over time with better maps and better sensors.

Wasn’t / isn’t SuperCruise basically a heavily stripped down public Waymo where it needs 3D maps to operate in specific geo locations? The areas where it works has been notably expanded in the years since launch.

Reactions: BigCutie

but agree, i wouldn't hold one's breath waiting for tesla to solve the FSD issues. i'm enjoying my tesla for what it is and didn't buy it for the FSD experience.
I agree with you that Waymo has to do homework by pre-mapping and other preparations for it to work.

Tesla did the same method for its video demo but confessed that its car collided but it was edited out.

The skills of 2 teams are different.

I think doing homework, pre-mapping and other preparation takes time but I don't think that's the hold up.

Waymo cars won't collide with obstacles but the system doesn't have enough intelligence and still requires a technician to manually take over the system when it doesn't know what to do next.

For example, it didn't fall down into a big hole in the middle of the road construction but it didn't know what to do next. If it was a human, it wouldn't drive that close to the edge of that giant hole in the first place....

I cancelled my 1/26 order after receiving a VIN a week ago, but I still really want the car! When will they have MYLRs with HW4 AND the new cameras (maybe HD radar too)? Teslascope says HW4 on all models end of summer, already shipping on Model X/S, so not vaporware. They also said new sensor package on all models by end of 2023, new cameras also already in the wild. Any other good source info?

Prior to this snazzy 2023 MY, I was driving a 2003 pick-up, so I'm not really torn up about USS and other parking aids being missing at this time. I'm too busy enjoying the other aspects of the vehicle. My wife's car has them, but I ignore it and park the old fashioned way, like I've been doing all my life. I do see the point of getting what you paid for though and I think Tesla should have left the damn things in and working till they figured out how to make it work without them.

Attachments

• 1679239568767.png
    1679239568767.png
    398.9 KB · Views: 95
It appears that Park Assist will return to vision-only cars with software update v2022.44.11. It is supposed to give 360 degree vision measurements. Let's hope it's accurate.
Sorry being a new (soon to be) tesla owner i have to ask.

How are they doing the update version numbers.

To me that software version looks to be a 2022, which cant be right, now that we are just about 25% into 2023 ?

Reactions: DrGriz
I got assigned my VIN a couple days ago. I am trying to figure out the build date of this MYLR through VIN. Is it possible to figure this out through VIN? Also, I am reading that new builds are equipped with HW4. Is this information correct? And how do we find out? Many thanks for any advice.
PS: The VIN is: 7SAYGDEE3PA092XXX

I got assigned my VIN a couple days ago. I am trying to figure out the build date of this MYLR through VIN. Is it possible to figure this out through VIN? Also, I am reading that new builds are equipped with HW4. Is this information correct? And how do we find out? Many thanks for any advice.
Only the Model X and Model S are shipping with HW4

Got my VIN on 3/25. PA087. SA said born date is 3/14