Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Discussion: HW.4 Suite - Availability, retrofit, suitability etc.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you are actually reading that about Model Ys or 3s, you should post your sources for that, as that is not something anyone has heard at all from any credible source.
Thank you for your response. As you can (may be not?) tell from my post, I am asking question about this. Perhaps I read it about X and S, as you mentioned; hence my question about this. But I didn't offer advise or claimed that model Y is indeed coming with HW4.

Thank you for your response. As you can (may be not?) tell from my post, I am asking question about this. Perhaps I read it about X and S, as you mentioned; hence my question about this. But I didn't offer advise or claimed that model Y is indeed coming with HW4.

That detail helps, but when you post in a specific vehicle subforum (model Y) about an order for a model Y that you are getting, and then say "I am reading new builds are coming with HW4" it is normal for people to think that you are talking about vehicles of the type being discussed in the subforum.

Nevertheless, thanks for clearing up that you did not mean you were reading about model Ys coming with HW4 when you said that.

Looking to order a Y LR in Sweden.
Should I wait for any updates or just go with it?

Will the introduction of the new hardware coming this year increase the price? How has it been in the past?
"Never. Ever. Buy a tech product based on the promise of future software updates."

Buy it now and enjoy it with what it has now. If you don't need a car then wait. If you need or want it now then get it now and enjoy it for what it is now.

"Never. Ever. Buy a tech product based on the promise of future software updates."

Buy it now and enjoy it with what it has now. If you don't need a car then wait. If you need or want it now then get it now and enjoy it for what it is now.
Thanks for your input but I was looking for more facts based comments. I do the opposite. I research and try to buy top of the line just after major upgrades. Usually prices don’t drop on expensive tech so paying premium for old technology is not what I feel like a good deal.
Appreciate you for sharing your point of view though!

It’s time to change. I can keep the current one for a couple of months to a year if I choose to but the LR is about USD63k here. It fits my budget now. It would also suck to have “the old version” for 3 years because I just missed a major upgrade.

Thanks for your input but I was looking for more facts based comments. I do the opposite. I research and try to buy top of the line just after major upgrades. Usually prices don’t drop on expensive tech so paying premium for old technology is not what I feel like a good deal.
Appreciate you for sharing your point of view though!

It’s time to change. I can keep the current one for a couple of months to a year if I choose to but the LR is about USD63k here. It fits my budget now. It would also suck to have “the old version” for 3 years because I just missed a major upgrade.
You didn't understand my point apparently.... there will always be something newer coming. There are no "facts based" answers to your questions because nobody knows. Model S and X have started shipping with Hardware 4 but there is nothing to suggest that those same hardware changes will come to Model 3 or Y any time soon.

If you want the car now then buy the car now and enjoy it. If you're afraid you're going to miss out on an impending upgrade then you will be waiting for forever with all technology... more so with Tesla because they upgrade and change the cars constantly... so again if you want it now then buy it now and enjoy it for what it is now. If you feel like you will be upset if next year Hardware 4 will be added to Model Y and 3 then wait if that'll make you feel better. Honestly speaking other than some better quality cameras and a different sensor HW4 is nothing revolutionary... you still have to deal with the same software bugs everyone else has to.

Hello everyone. I'm looking into purchasing a Model Y soon because my current car died on me and my wife and I really liked test driving the Model Y. My question is if anyone knows if the Model Y is being shipped with HW4? (I live in the Marietta, GA (USA)). My issue is that I kind of need to purchase a car soon because my wife and I are sharing one car between us and there are times when both of us need the car at the same time. I've heard the difference between HW3 and HW4 is fairly significant and I don't want to purchase a Model Y with HW3 and then find out that I can't upgrade to HW4. I've asked the guys at the Tesla Test Drive location but they don't have any info to share about this topic.

Hello everyone. I'm looking into purchasing a Model Y soon because my current car died on me and my wife and I really liked test driving the Model Y. My question is if anyone knows if the Model Y is being shipped with HW4? (I live in the Marietta, GA (USA)). My issue is that I kind of need to purchase a car soon because my wife and I are sharing one car between us and there are times when both of us need the car at the same time. I've heard the difference between HW3 and HW4 is fairly significant and I don't want to purchase a Model Y with HW3 and then find out that I can't upgrade to HW4. I've asked the guys at the Tesla Test Drive location but they don't have any info to share about this topic.
Based on my research and logical thinking, I would seriously doubt the Model y/3 will get hW4 before they release the updated model. Y/3 in the fall. Model Y “Juniper” has already been seen with a front bumper camera and the Highlander Model 3 should have the same suite of tech. These models will most likely come with Hw.4. The model x/s should see hW 4.5 around the same time frame with the added front light or bumper camera. Tesla Putting Cameras in Headlights With New Hardware Setup - Better For FSD | Torque News

Hi guys.
I just preordered my Model Y which just got on sale in Turkey. However, i do have some concerns.
Should i purchase the FSD now or later? Because of the taxes in Turkey, buyers talk about buying FSD later will save you money instead of purchasing it on the preorder screen.

My question is,
Does all Model Y's come with standart equipment like HW3.0 computer and necessary cameras?
Do i have to upgrade any hardware if i purchase it later?

Thank you so much. As you can see i'm new to Tesla world and i'm a little confused.
Any help is appreciated. :)

Hi guys.
I just preordered my Model Y which just got on sale in Turkey. However, i do have some concerns.
Should i purchase the FSD now or later? Because of the taxes in Turkey, buyers talk about buying FSD later will save you money instead of purchasing it on the preorder screen.

My question is,
Does all Model Y's come with standart equipment like HW3.0 computer and necessary cameras?
Do i have to upgrade any hardware if i purchase it later?

Thank you so much. As you can see i'm new to Tesla world and i'm a little confused.
Any help is appreciated. :)
Short answer: Yes.

Tesla promised since October 2016 that all new Tesla cars now came with all necessary hardware for FSD. You only need to pay for the software.

Be aware that HW4 is now in S/X, so and you cannot upgrade to HW4 if you have HW3 and below.

If it's not an emergency, I would wait for HW4 and not buying HW3.

Short answer: Yes.

Tesla promised since October 2016 that all new Tesla cars now came with all necessary hardware for FSD. You only need to pay for the software.

Be aware that HW4 is now in S/X, so and you cannot upgrade to HW4 if you have HW3 and below.

If it's not an emergency, I would wait for HW4 and not buying HW3.
It says my delivery time is between October-December 2023. Do you think mine will get the HW4.0?

It says my delivery time is between October-December 2023. Do you think mine will get the HW4.0?
Only Tesla knows. We only heard reports from owners that their Model S and X since the mid-January 2023 production have been with HW4, but we haven't heard when that would spread to the rest of the fleet.

My guess is soon or otherwise, owners will keep holding off until the HW4.

Hi,

My Delivery Date for Model Y is May 2023. Should I try to postpone Delivery Date and wait for Hardware 4.0? Is it worth it?
I’m not in rush of getting new Car. Wanted to get $7,500 Credit and now looks like Model Y still gets this Credit.