Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Discussion: HW.4 Suite - Availability, retrofit, suitability etc.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Rejecting once or twice by no means guarantees you will get the hw4. It all depends on supply chains. For instance, My car came with the old processor 2 months after cars began getting the new one. For 2 days, suddenly they only had the old wiring harness and that went with the old processor so that's what I got. You may want to cancel and start over in a couple of months if it means a lot to you.

Reactions: KJD
How do you know it doesn’t have new HW4 already? (May 5th build is quite recent)
Sadly mine wont have HW4.

After watching what HW4 is I'm not really worried about it. Yeah, the camera footage is a bit wider, it's definitely a higher resolution, but I didn't buy the car for the cameras. The rational side of my brain says, 'Dude, relax, who cares?' The irrational side says, 'You're buying a $60k car, why wouldn't you want the latest HW?'

I'm torn. I have absolutely zero interest in FSD though.

Reactions: jschimel and gtae07
Sadly mine wont have HW4.

After watching what HW4 is I'm not really worried about it. Yeah, the camera footage is a bit wider, it's definitely a higher resolution, but I didn't buy the car for the cameras. The rational side of my brain says, 'Dude, relax, who cares?' The irrational side says, 'You're buying a $60k car, why wouldn't you want the latest HW?'

I'm torn. I have absolutely zero interest in FSD though.

Keep in mind it’s not just new camera. It’s new “hardware” - mainly new computer chip/architecture which CAN process much more info at lower power level than current chip/architecture. My issue is with phantom braking which is plain nasty… or inaccuracies with AP mode (and I’d imagine most new software improvements will keep HW4 as it’s priority). I have some reason to believe HW4 will make things better than HW3. It’s muddling and what you said is very reasonable, but the “torn” side of me seems to gain more weight as I think about it

Also, looking at assigned VIN, would there be a way to know if it’s HW4 or HW3?? That would be a big thing (accept/wait for delivery)

Also, looking at assigned VIN, would there be a way to know if it’s HW4 or HW3?? That would be a big thing (accept/wait for delivery)
No, each manufacturing location's VINs aren't sequential off the assembly line. And likely not every line will switch to HW4 at the same time.

So there will be a VIN at each location before which all are HW3, a range above which all are HW4, and a range in the middle where you have to check. And those numbers will vary by manufacturing location.

Reactions: DrGriz
Keep in mind it’s not just new camera. It’s new “hardware” - mainly new computer chip/architecture which CAN process much more info at lower power level than current chip/architecture. My issue is with phantom braking which is plain nasty… or inaccuracies with AP mode (and I’d imagine most new software improvements will keep HW4 as it’s priority). I have some reason to believe HW4 will make things better than HW3. It’s muddling and what you said is very reasonable, but the “torn” side of me seems to gain more weight as I think about it

Go to your car patient on a computer. View source code. Using the find tool, search for AP04 or APH4.

AP04 is hw4
APH4 is HW3

Reactions: tm3lrawd
There appears to be some confusion on how do you know if you have HW3 or HW4? Hope this helps. Look at the "strip" above the lens, on the HW4, it's shorter compared to the HW3. Hope this helps! And hope mine comes in with HW4!!!

Capture.PNG

Perhaps since I am not buying a vehicle right now, I missed the confirmation that there were any model Ys with hardware 4 on them somewhere. Can you point out the source of this information you are posting / confirmation of HW4 on model Ys?

I am interested to read it.

Thanks

That’s a pretty minute difference.

Wouldn’t counting the number of cameras on the windshield be easier?

edit; guess not

Perhaps since I am not buying a vehicle right now, I missed the confirmation that there were any model Ys with hardware 4 on them somewhere. Can you point out the source of this information you are posting / confirmation of HW4 on model Ys?

Thanks
Not sure if there’s been mention here.. but there was a Reddit post that linked to “waiting for my Tesla” that showed a listing with “ap04” in it and the assumption that meant HW4. Then a claim by the supposed buyer that it did have HW4.

I put assumption and claim only because I didn’t check all that deeply.

Last edited:

Thanks
Cant quote what the OP posted, but here is an article from notateslaapp.com

Thanks

Interesting, thanks for sharing. There is a bit of "telephone game" going on here, since that notateslaapp article is talking about pics / information shared with them by someone else (blkmdl3) who at least at one point used to also post here. No idea if they still do.

So, "We heard from so and so that they saw such and such and are now reporting...." then its being bandied about as if its concrete info. Still, this is how stuff works now, so its interesting.

Edit:

@BrownOuttaSpec , that electrek article is quoting the same person (blkmdl3), so both of them are reporting the same thing based on the same single source, it appears.

shrug.

I picked up a Fremont build LR yesterday, no HW4. Not a big deal, it's for the fiancé full time and she doesn't care about FSD or autopilot at all. Gotta say, the rear camera is pretty bad compared to my 2018 S. I can tell that the lens is much smaller. That would have been the biggest upgrade with HW4 for her honestly.