Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Discussion: HW.4 Suite - Availability, retrofit, suitability etc.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Any new HW4 Y owners out there - I’d be so grateful if you would post some dashcam footage. Would love to see the difference between HW3.
I have an MS but here's a look at the full color cameras on dashcam Screenshot_20230521-195637.png

Reactions: C2023
I am curious if anyone confirms that there is an HD radar ("Pheonix") in the HW4 Model S/X. If so, can you refer me to the post / News? Thanks! So far, I have seen news about the Pheonix Radar engineering sample. Still, I have yet to see confirmation, for example, the actual device through front bumper disassembly.

From an unverified source, PF789XXX or later, which is from Fremont, should be on HW4. Austin and Berlin are in similar shoes. Every MY after a certain VIN should be on HW4. Shanghai will ramp up HW4 manufacturing later, which means MYs shipped from Shanghai to Canada might still have HW3 even at a later point of the year.

The HW4 deployment is controlled by 3 things, 1) minor retooling, completed; 2) component supply (HW4 computing unit and new camera), in large scale supply now; 3) using up HW3 component inventory and moving some HW3 components to Model 3 or inventory for repair, I believe it's almost there.

My best guess is they haven't deployed the HD radar in MY yet. For MY's manufacturing scale, they would need to order in large volumes ahead of time, and it is hard to keep a secret. If you really want HD radar, you can wait for YouTubers such as Munro to disassemble the front bumper of HW4 MY and check it out. If there is no HD radar in this update, the most probable timeline for deploying HD radar is the next big revision for MY in 2024 (it might end up in M3 Highlands in 2023), or they have canceled the HD radar because someone might see it as a divergence from Pure Vision (even though my personal view is FMCW radar is also vision just not in the visible spectrum).

Hi, I've made the initial 250 euro payment for a blue MYLR, but since we will be out of the country (Netherlands) in June, the Tesla employee has put the delivery on hold.
In fact the order has not been coupled to a VIN number yet, until July 1st.
In the meantime the expected delivery of MYLR Blue has moved to Sept-Okt 2023 delivery.
Also I've learned that Tesla is changing the HW3 configuration to HW4 in some production facilities, I expect our LR will be build in Berlin.

So, what should be do?
1. Order the Blue LR now, get in line as soon as possible?
2. Wait even longer (we can) and be sure to receive a HW4 configuration?
3. Let it play out. Have the order be placed on July 1st as is arranged for now.

Any suggestions? Is HW4 important now that the parking sensors are gone?

Thanks, Bert

My personal opinion is always get the latest available hardware. If you’re going to keep the vehicle for a while, it’s nice to know you’ll have software support for it when new features are concerned. I had a September 2016 autopilot 1 vehicle that just missed the cutoff for HW2. I noticed almost immediately that software development for autopilot went to improvement of HW2 parity and eventually additional features while my vehicle got bug fixes and UI changes and none of the expected autopilot improvements I was led to believe it would eventually have.

From an unverified source, PF789XXX or later, which is from Fremont, should be on HW4. Austin and Berlin are in similar shoes. Every MY after a certain VIN should be on HW4. Shanghai will ramp up HW4 manufacturing later, which means MYs shipped from Shanghai to Canada might still have HW3 even at a later point of the year.

The HW4 deployment is controlled by 3 things, 1) minor retooling, completed; 2) component supply (HW4 computing unit and new camera), in large scale supply now; 3) using up HW3 component inventory and moving some HW3 components to Model 3 or inventory for repair, I believe it's almost there.

My best guess is they haven't deployed the HD radar in MY yet. For MY's manufacturing scale, they would need to order in large volumes ahead of time, and it is hard to keep a secret. If you really want HD radar, you can wait for YouTubers such as Munro to disassemble the front bumper of HW4 MY and check it out. If there is no HD radar in this update, the most probable timeline for deploying HD radar is the next big revision for MY in 2024 (it might end up in M3 Highlands in 2023), or they have canceled the HD radar because someone might see it as a divergence from Pure Vision (even though my personal view is FMCW radar is also vision just not in the visible spectrum).
Does anyone have a vin as high as PF789xxx yet?

I've found the VIN checker here will try and work out a build date from those letters (plus the model letter Y) and is showing a build date in June but we seem to have seen cars already from Fremont with HW4? In fairness, they do put a health warning on the results although my actual car was just about spot on

My personal opinion is always get the latest available hardware. If you’re going to keep the vehicle for a while, it’s nice to know you’ll have software support for it when new features are concerned. I had a September 2016 autopilot 1 vehicle that just missed the cutoff for HW2. I noticed almost immediately that software development for autopilot went to improvement of HW2 parity and eventually additional features while my vehicle got bug fixes and UI changes and none of the expected autopilot improvements I was led to believe it would eventually have.
Thanks Eddy, we'll gonne wait. Guess we might want to go for the new Midnight Cherry Red color.... Like it!

Hi all. Picked up MYP last Friday -- adore the car but feeling the disappointment I was a week from HW4 😞. Does anyone have any leads on whether HW4 upgrades will be possible? I've heard "not likely" but also one case of a customer hearing it may be (I think)? Any info much appreciated.