Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Discussion: HW.4 Suite - Availability, retrofit, suitability etc.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That Tesla VIN decoder posted on the previous page says my car is estimated to be built on June 17, but the service advisor through text shows my car arriving at the Kansas City location on June 4th.

Has anyone found this decoder to be accurate at all, especially over a Tesla service advisor?

My MYP VIN is 7902xx.
Reading what they say they extrapolate based on known vin build dates nearby and the build rate at the time, there are also charts they provide elsewhere which shows the build rate is generally fairly consistent. Data is however thin in recent months and It looks to be projecting 100 days forward from their last known vin to reach yours so plenty of scope for error I guess. Mine from 2022 came back bang on but there’s much more data around then. What they don’t seem to have is a direct source of info for your car.

Service advisors haven’t always been that reliable either.

TL;DR I can believe either to be wrong, treat with caution

Do you know when Austin will start HW4 again? Also do you know if a certain build will get you a car from the Fremont factory? I know if you choose a MYP, you'll probably get Fremont but is there any other trick like adding a tow hitch or something?
Don’t know what I have yet, but my vin is past the magic number from these posts here. I ordered a blue LR. Nothing more. If Austin is focused on 4680, LR should get you a Fremont build… guessing.

Depends on what you're trying to upgrade; user experience or corporate margin rate.
Ha! I’m more confused about this upgrade because I’m someone who couldn’t care less about FSD, but wants good front park assist. The fact that these HW4 builds get rid of both USS and that front camera, AFAICT they’re on paper worse than HW3 for vision based front park assist. Not sure how it’ll be better 🤷‍♂️

Anyone's guess is as good as mine :) My guess is that moving to a 5mp camera from a 1mp camera will provide much more information to feed the Vision algorithm, and having a beefier CPU will make it possible to apply better/more computer vision algorithms to the task of figuring out what the thing in front of you is, whether it is moving, etc. I have not come across anything official from Tesla. The cameras are also supposed to capture better contrast and have a wider field of view.

Reactions: AJ..
Text or call you SA to ask your car has the AP04 option code which is for HW4. If not, you can go ahead and refuse the VIN and they will put your order on hold and unassign your VIN. You'll have 14 days for the hold and can un-pause anytime. When you do, you'll be eligible for a new VIN.

I just did this today with my PF7893XX which was confirmed to have HW3.
Thanks, I just did the hold and release VIN. My rep told me it will try to match another VIN with the same configuration. What I'm confused about it do I have to "un-hold" and get it assigned? Thanks

Thanks so much. another question, how long should I wait to "un=hold" to re-match? My hold just happen today. thanks
That's a crap shoot at this point. Rumor is that Fremont is building all cars with HW4 but Austin is doing extremely low numbers with no one knowing when they will start producing more. Safest would be to wait almost the full length of the hold.

Reactions: jackyen2000
I should be taking delivery of my MY LR from Fremont next week. VIN PF7876xx. My SA confirmed it has HW3. I would think about postponing delivery but we specifically need the car for a function in about 2 weeks. I’m not too worried about it. I never plan to get FSD and I doubt HW4 is going to solve phantom braking and the other things that currently irk me about HW3. And hey, at least I’ll get the matrix headlights and comfort suspension that I wouldn’t have gotten if I had ordered this time last year, like I was originally planning. There’s always something new to miss out on. Wait too much longer and you’ll be regretting missing out on the big Juniper refresh

Last edited: