Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Discussion: Model 3 Price reductions - Jan / April / Oct 2023 and all other pricing discussions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
EV market shaping up similar to mobile phones.

Tesla going the Android way -- cheap , good EV's for the masses
The Taycans and like going the Iphone way
The rest like BYD/Xpeng going the super cheap Chinese phones way ...Xiomi/Huawei

Hope Tesla opens up their parts/service to independent trained franchises like Midas/Firestone. Then we may even see certified refurbished Tesla's at appliance prices..

The rest like BYD/Xpeng going the super cheap Chinese phones way ...Xiomi/Huawei

Hope Tesla opens up their parts/service to independent trained franchises like Midas/Firestone. Then we may even see certified refurbished Tesla's at appliance prices..
I don't fully agree with your specific analogies, but I concur that the EV market will mimic the mobile phone market.

That's why people should not jump on this deal unless out of necessity-- EV prices have nowhere else to go but down in the near future (barring another event that perturbs the supply chain), or you will get more advanced features for the same money.

I'd definitely like to come up on EAP or FSD and would add to the mob if invited. Personally, I felt pretty bad about "being a sucker" for about a day and then I remembered that I was in a position to afford it and got to enjoy the car in 2022. It won't stop me from buying the CT if that ever comes out.

Now everyone's tolerance for loyalty is different and I'll definitely weigh the pros and cons of a new CT with the premium added at launch vs a used rivian. If they offered credits to AP/EAP/supercharging on last year's purchase, I'll definitely factor that in when paying sticker for a new CT next year. I think this is the most appropriate business case I can come up with for them. That said, money talks - when it comes down it, I could just purchase a used rivian and wait to trade it when prices get cut on used CTs...

In short - there's no "right thing" here. I guess there's just different strategies. For all we know, CTs/Tesla's might be the only mass produced EVs for another 5 years while the legacy automakers catch up and rivian could go out of business...at that point, consumers have no choice.

"If you build it, they will come" - as far as I'm concerned, that's the strategy and I won't hate them for it. Teslas are the most widely available, (and now) best value for range, and their charging network is the most reliable. Every other EV has to compensate for those things and they won't catch up for years at this point.

Last edited:
Price changes look to wrap April 1st:

Hi Craig- This is Mark with Tesla Silver Spring. It is time to place that order! If you were looking to take advantage of the price reduction and Federal Tax credit you will need to accept delivery by or before March 31st. As we are increasing our prices back to normal as of April 1st. Let me know if you have any questions!

• Funny
Reactions: mpgxsvcd
Price changes look to wrap April 1st:

Hi Craig- This is Mark with Tesla Silver Spring. It is time to place that order! If you were looking to take advantage of the price reduction and Federal Tax credit you will need to accept delivery by or before March 31st. As we are increasing our prices back to normal as of April 1st. Let me know if you have any questions!
The service center Reps have zero idea what Elon is going to do with prices in April.

thats completely subjective.
they've got 2 million pre-orders because 2 million people don't think its "fugly" as you say.

and if I were to look for an "actual pickup truck" - I wouldn't look any further than a cybertruck.
Well, I bet there are a lot of that 2 million that don't think its a beauty, but want it for other reasons. Sort of like a 20 year old getting married to a 90 year old person. ;)

• Funny
Reactions: brainhouston
The service center Reps have zero idea what Elon is going to do with prices in April.
ml0204 - supporting your point...

"Good Afternoon, I wanted to clarify an error in my previous messages that contained inaccurate information. I made an error in assumption of what would happen after March, and I apologize for that misinformation.

Please let me know how I can support you in joining the Tesla family!"

• Helpful
Reactions: ml0204 and mpgxsvcd

Nice i like it haha
Now if only Tesla would follow Android n let us have Root :)

Reactions: eleison
Just pulled the trigger on a M3P last week, now the waiting begins. But otherwise I was (well still am) in line for a Cadillac Lyriq AWD since last summer. Caddy got screwed with it being classified as a car, not a SUV and thus subject to the $55K cap. They are going to release pricing this week on the '24's but it looks like they maybe came up with a stripper config to hit the $55K cap which is completely unappealing to me. I'm guessing the model I would have wanted will now be closer to $65K-$70K (the 23's didn't have any options, the 24's now move some of what I'd want into optional equipment). Anyway, looks like the price cuts had the intended effect of pulling me over to the Tesla side.

And I've been on the other side of the coin. I had a '15 Chevy SS 6MT back in the day. Bought it right after they introduced the 6MT. Chevy was offering 0% for 6 years and I got it for around $45K ($48K+ sticker). A month later Chevy dropped a 20% off sale, so they were now going out the door for $38K-ish. Whatever - no do-overs. Proved to be one of the best cars I ever owned. Two years ago I sold it on Cars & Bids with 83K miles for $39K.