Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Discussion: Model 3 Price reductions - Jan / April / Oct 2023 and all other pricing discussions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't fully agree with your specific analogies, but I concur that the EV market will mimic the mobile phone market.

That's why people should not jump on this deal unless out of necessity-- EV prices have nowhere else to go but down in the near future (barring another event that perturbs the supply chain), or you will get more advanced features for the same money.

An alternative view....I've had my 3P for almost 3 years. FSD is now more than double what I paid so I'm thinking if someone could capture that price difference it would offset some of the depreciation lost on the car (assuming they don't buy FSD at the new price) and you could benefit from the new lower base price and even potentially get the $7.5k tax credit as well.

I've been toying with getting a new 3P just to get a fresh battery and the newer HVAC system. Unless I'm missing something obvious, this seems like a no brainer to get a new 3P for next to nothing.

Best,

Reactions: cmy4x4
I've been toying with getting a new 3P just to get a fresh battery and the newer HVAC system. Unless I'm missing something obvious, this seems like a no brainer to get a new 3P for next to nothing.
I did just that, for my '20 M3P. This was late Dec, with the $7500 and 10K SC miles. Delta is $1500 vs. today (less value of 10K SC miles) and red/black M3P is not eligible for tax credit.

I'm still happy with my decision. Got a fresh battery, better range (vs. the '20 M3P), faster MCU, heat pump, and the other upgrades.

I did not get FSD this time, but I did get EAP. I paid $7K for FSD on my '20. But until FSD takes incremental leaps, it doesn't add any value to me for just driving around town. Fun party trick, but it's not like it can come pick you up from 10 miles away. Now that might be worth the $15K.

Reactions: vegetaban
I did just that, for my '20 M3P. This was late Dec, with the $7500 and 10K SC miles. Delta is $1500 vs. today (less value of 10K SC miles) and red/black M3P is not eligible for tax credit.

I'm still happy with my decision. Got a fresh battery, better range (vs. the '20 M3P), faster MCU, heat pump, and the other upgrades.

I did not get FSD this time, but I did get EAP. I paid $7K for FSD on my '20. But until FSD takes incremental leaps, it doesn't add any value to me for just driving around town. Fun party trick, but it's not like it can come pick you up from 10 miles away. Now that might be worth the $15K.

Yeah, I won't be buying FSD on my next one. EAP is "good enough" for what I need.

Best,

Part of me thinks (hopes?) that at the end of one of these upcoming quarters, Elon will do a '2 day special' on EAP/FSD upgrades to add a little revenue boost.

Right now the upgrade from EAP to FSD is $9K. No way I'm down for that, but at $2-3K, I could be swayed.

Yep. And on resale.....software, unlike the car itself, shouldn't depreciate. You have the software and you are entitled to updates. It doesn't matter if you bought it a year ago or 5 years ago. Assuming that the only limitations would be features related to hardware that didn't exist in the past.

Best,

Yep. And on resale.....software, unlike the car itself, shouldn't depreciate. You have the software and you are entitled to updates. It doesn't matter if you bought it a year ago or 5 years ago. Assuming that the only limitations would be features related to hardware that didn't exist in the past.

Best,
Would EAP/FSD transfer with the car or the owner in the resale scenario?

Reactions: enemji
Would Tesla give a FSD free of charge to those who purchased M3 or MY 2023 right before the price drop?
I think that would be faire thing to do.
I just got my MY a month before the big price cut ..... also not having Ultrasonic sensors is kinda sucks!

I am willing to bet that it is costing Tesla a lot of money to have their Traded in Used Cars sit right now. If a new car is only 3 to 5k more than a used one people are going to purchase new cars. The cars that Tesla took in on trade a few months ago are worth less now. Tesla has too much money into them and those cars are competing with cars that Tesla paid less for on trade in during the past few weeks. The older cars will keep loosing value until Tesla sells them at a break even point or at a loss.