Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Discussion: Model 3 and Y price drop Jan 2023 / April 2023 / Oct 2023 and All other Pricing Speculation going forward

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does it? Where in that sentence does it say when and how the MSRP is established. Is it a snapshot in time when the calendar year ends, a weighted average of the MSRP throughout the year, the MSRP at purchase agreement, or the MSRP at delivery?

It’s detailed in your sales agreement when you put your deposit down.
It will be on your Monroney sticker when you pick up your car. It will match exactly what Tesla quoted when you placed (or amended) your order. Paranoia is unnecessary!

Reactions: Ray_R
It will be on your Monroney sticker when you pick up your car. It will match exactly what Tesla quoted when you placed (or amended) your order. Paranoia is unnecessary!
There's no paranoia, I didn't buy a new vehicle so I've got nothing to lose here. You guys are all speculating; no one has shown me an explicit definition of how the MSRP is to be determined, because none exists. If you don't define exactly how to determine the MSRP you leave it open to interpretation. Most manufacturers don't change their MSRPs as often as Tesla; so, defining the criteria for determining MSRP could simply be something the lawmakers overlooked.

My friend was so pissed about this he actually filmed a podcast talking about it 🤣
Almost got tempted by the $7500 credit in December myself but I had suspicions that they'd pull some stunt in Q1.
Same here. And I still get a feeling as March approaches, the 5 seater Model Y will have a price adjustment to get last-ditch orders of Model Y while qualifying for the rebate coming in at just under $55k. I might be wrong, but I just get a feeling they will do this.

There's no paranoia, I didn't buy a new vehicle so I've got nothing to lose here. You guys are all speculating; no one has shown me an explicit definition of how the MSRP is to be determined, because none exists. If you don't define exactly how to determine the MSRP you leave it open to interpretation. Most manufacturers don't change their MSRPs as often as Tesla; so, defining the criteria for determining MSRP could simply be something the lawmakers overlooked.
When you buy a car, there is only one MSRP for that car and you will find it on the Monroney sticker. There are specific exclusions such as destination fee and apparently, software options, but nowhere do you find additions for any reason.

Can I get GAP insurance after delivery?

Delivered 12.28.22. $10k down. Loan is $55k.

Like thousands others I am underwater and further screwed if car is totaled, now driving extremely carefully.

(I will not be taking my hands off the wheel regardless of FSD !)

Its a fun car but hard to enjoy when I'm paranoid about other cars.

All these sheople defending the price reductions have no clue how this works. VEHICLES have always been a depreciating asset. It's not a shirt or a pair of jeans. It's also not a house. It's a car. We know the moment we drive off the lot the vehicle is worth less than it was 5 minutes before. Any manufacturer that drops their price enough to place their current customers in a position where they owe more than the vehicle is worth will NOT survive. There's a reason it doesn't happen very often if ever. Why the hell would anyone buy a Tesla at this point? Only a moron (literally) would give money to a company that knowingly screws their customers over. Stop with the fanboi nonsense and look at this situation objectively. If Ford or BMW did this you'd all be screaming from the rooftops to dump those cars and buy a Tesla.

It Will be very interesting in 2023! Especially as the other auto makers are already working at a net Loss as are many of the Chinese examples and most unable to “pull a lever” to get near a tax incentive without cataclysmic loss per vehicle! Ford is already loosing 3k per vehicle, many others 10k Plus.
View attachment 898030
Tesla produced less than a million cars in 2021. Ford produced 4 million, GM 6 million, Toyota 10 million, VW 8 million etc... And all those I just listed have the capability to produce 10 million every year without fail. This chart is clickbait Faux News propaganda at best. Tesla isn't in the same league when it comes to "production". When Elon gets up to those production numbers you'll see the profit margins shrink due to scaling. Legacy manufacturers have not been around this long for no reason. And without their pioneering Tesla would have nothing. Stop comparing apples and oranges or if you do at least be transparent about it.

• Funny
Reactions: Yelobird
All these sheople defending the price reductions have no clue how this works. VEHICLES have always been a depreciating asset. It's not a shirt or a pair of jeans. It's also not a house. It's a car. We know the moment we drive off the lot the vehicle is worth less than it was 5 minutes before. Any manufacturer that drops their price enough to place their current customers in a position where they owe more than the vehicle is worth will NOT survive. There's a reason it doesn't happen very often if ever. Why the hell would anyone buy a Tesla at this point? Only a moron (literally) would give money to a company that knowingly screws their customers over. Stop with the fanboi nonsense and look at this situation objectively. If Ford or BMW did this you'd all be screaming from the rooftops to dump those cars and buy a Tesla.
all these sheople thinking the world has been operating on a normal level have no clue. they've been conditioned in just 2 years to expect they can trade in their 5 year old car for what they originally paid for it. then believe they can buy a Tesla and see price increases every 6 months, making their Tesla purchase feel wonderfully smart.
"May you live in Interesting Times".
This Chinese blessing/curse fully applies here, and more prosaically, the world seems to have been put here by China rushing to steal further paces on the West.

Can I get GAP insurance after delivery?

Delivered 12.28.22. $10k down. Loan is $55k.

Like thousands others I am underwater and further screwed if car is totaled, now driving extremely carefully.

(I will not be taking my hands off the wheel regardless of FSD !)

Its a fun car but hard to enjoy when I'm paranoid about other cars.
Ask your insurance provider; much better than asking anyone on this forum. They can provide you an actual quote and, if acceptable, update your policy. Those on this forum, while seasoned and experienced, can only speculate without the ability to provide details for your specific situation. Good luck.

Tesla produced less than a million cars in 2021. Ford produced 4 million, GM 6 million, Toyota 10 million, VW 8 million etc... And all those I just listed have the capability to produce 10 million every year without fail. This chart is clickbait Faux News propaganda at best. Tesla isn't in the same league when it comes to "production". When Elon gets up to those production numbers you'll see the profit margins shrink due to scaling. Legacy manufacturers have not been around this long for no reason. And without their pioneering Tesla would have nothing. Stop comparing apples and oranges or if you do at least be transparent about it.
unfortunately the market no longer wants as much of what the Legacy auto manufacturers have to offer.
Much of that production capacity is idle and will not be converted. meanwhile, Uncle Joe will spoon-feed the Unions to buy votes.

but you're right; at one point the world was buying 16-20M vehicles a year, and ICE isn't going to die off.
EV's aren't for everyone, and there are many use cases they can't accommodate.

unfortunately the market no longer wants as much of what the Legacy auto manufacturers have to offer.
Much of that production capacity is idle and will not be converted. meanwhile, Uncle Joe will spoon-feed the Unions to buy votes.

but you're right; at one point the world was buying 16-20M vehicles a year, and ICE isn't going to die off. EV's aren't for everyone, and there are many use cases they can't accomodate.
Exactly! The EV market is just getting started. Who knows where it's going to go. I'm just so tired of the blind eye to Tesla's quality issues and trying to compare them to companies that have been around more than a century. Once Toyota's CEO is ousted for his Neanderthal perspective on EV's they will be a force to be reckoned with. The Prius MADE they hybrid market which in turn gave way to EV's. There's no reason they can't jump right back in the mix.

Tesla margins should always be higher than legacy OEMs simply due to business model differences. Legacy OEMs typically see 5% total margin and dealers see 5-10% total margin. Tesla operates as both so their ability to stack these margins seems to be a competitive advantage. Also, the way Tesla is playing in adjacent markets like charging stations, solar, robots, and other experiments will ensure they will always be different.

Good for them.